• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

860 bb tuning

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Hey recently picked up a 09 163 engine tech 860 big bore ive been impressed with the increase in power but more reading on others bb posts makes me think there is lots more in my new girl.
I ride with a new 163 e tec stock and it very distinctly will out pull me.
ive heard of lots of guys saying that there tuned bb will pull way harder than new e tec. so what should i be looking to do here, get some adjustable tra7 arm weights? new skid? new track? different ecm flash? im thinking its sumthing to do with the clutching or the ecm. my current complaint is that some times when im wot it sounds like its hitting a rev limiter , my old stock 154 never did that , it would just pull to 8000ish and stay there. new girl rips up to 7800-8000 and sum times does this rev limiter thing, its strange. also the e tec owner had a stock 154 at the same time as i had the 154 and i always used to high mark him cause im lighter... so whats holding this new girl back??? I know its not a rider issue I am quite capable of grabbing a fist full and riding hard.

here is some more info on what has already been done to this new girl
slp intake , high flow air box , was running 490 mains droped to 480 mains cause of fouling, needle is shimmed, slp y pipe , stock pipe, slp can ,running aftermarket ramps ill have to crack it open and check which ones again, after market springs in secondary and primary not sure what kit..... and a 44/36 helix, engine tech thermostat housing and new thermostat, limiter strap all the way out, springs set at 5 front at 3. I know its not a rider issue I am quite capable of grabing a fist full and riding hard. riding average 3000ft-6000ft bc mountains whistler and such. I weigh 150lbs

thanks any input would be apreciated

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Let us know what's in the primary. Stock ECM should be fine. Has the timing been changed?
Is the wierd "rev-limiter" thing the detonation sensor?
Comp ratio? Fuel being used?

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
ill find out about the ramps and compression on the head, fuel is 91 octain, ill give the guy i got it off a call and see if he did a ecm flash already i have a feeling he did, and i dont think its a deto sensor no engine light.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just a heads up....don't rely on the deto sensor. I have rattled the plugs out of these and had audible detonation without the sensor going off. Seems it only goes off when it gets VERY bad.
Try throwing some race fuel at it and see if things change.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
13.5:1 head 415 ramps, ecu went to engine tech who sends it to ski doo racing and they advance timing at top end and slow timing a lil in the mid range. was recomended to set needle clip at 15th of thou and make sure pilots are 2.0, ill have to pull that apart and the clutches to see what springs i am running, also recomended boyesen x wing and reeds in combo with secondary spring at 160/320 .... does this sound like a good setup ?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I had to run 50% race fuel with 13.5, same elevation (3-7k). My timing was advanced 1*, stock ECM, 470 mains, shimmed needle, stock pipe, Straightline Y & silencer.
Clutching will depend on helix angle....what you have listed will be good as long as the helix is compatible.....I assume you meant 160/320 primary spring?

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
50% race fule to reduce deto? yeah probly the primary spring, are you running any reeds or power wings?

M

MontanaPowder

Nov 30, 2007
Kalispell
860 jaws twins

Find a friend with a xp stock ecm. Go to hill and trade, takes 5 minutes to switch.

If no work then try fuel.

I gained 700 rpm by doing so. I then sent box back for stock timing, rev limiter to 9000 and remove overtemp retard.

Hope it helps.

Mine pulls 8500 rpm and has for 2.5 years. They run strong.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Find a friend with a xp stock ecm. Go to hill and trade, takes 5 minutes to switch.

If no work then try fuel.

I gained 700 rpm by doing so. I then sent box back for stock timing, rev limiter to 9000 and remove overtemp retard.

Hope it helps.

Mine pulls 8500 rpm and has for 2.5 years. They run strong.

we had a bad ECM program mod as well.Same thing trouble hitting RPM,s

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
What elevation? Have you checked your piston wash? 490s might just be too rich, that will cause you to lose a lot of power. I use 3 gallons 100LL, and it seems to run best with 460s. Rode low elevations for a few weeks (like 5K-7K) and it ran best with 470s. But too rich much higher than that. I don't have ecm reprogram, and a 14:1 head.
You might try some different ramps too, I never really liked the 415s that much, but that's just me.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
1500km on bb piston went exhaust side , con rod snapped and punched through both sides of block not sure what caused piston failure yet , to lean or detonation, other piston was heavily scored

Premium Features