• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody else heard about a recall on 08 D8's

O
Nov 26, 2007
jackson, wy
i heard the exact same rumor on friday from reliable source. heard it would be a 1 day process to replace pistons and cylinders if they are scored... something about to many engines burned down. was told it will anounced soon.

K
Nov 29, 2007
kelowna bc
This is kinda old news..this is to only the bad ones..my dealer tried to get me a new topend last year..only cuz it wasnt as fast as the rest..but if it`s not with another d8 ..nobody would even know..(but when the wife kicks my a$$ on a lake with her 03 800).and not as good on feul..so just waiting.. For my dealer to say bring it in..oh and some snow..

800 RMK

Nov 26, 2007
Victor Idaho
I heard about this when i picked mine up. My warranty ends this mounth, hopefully it will still get covered being a recall.............

Apr 21, 2008
From what I have heard, the 08 800's that were made early in the year didn't have enough piston to cylinder clearance and could seize when hot. They apparently changed the clearance mid production and had no problems after that.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Great, something else to worry about. I want to get the excessive fuel consumption figured out too. So, is there a vin # range that is effected by this?

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
From what I have heard, the 08 800's that were made early in the year didn't have enough piston to cylinder clearance and could seize when hot. They apparently changed the clearance mid production and had no problems after that.

This might explain why a few peeps seized engines but something doesn't add up. I got one of the early builds 11-16-2007 & mine ran like a top all year. Also Polaris took a sizeable group of early builds to Wy and put 500 miles on them in mid Nov before releasing sleds for shipping.
There were a few pic's of sleds with engine issues last year but some of those reported oil pump problems. Must be something to the rumors, soon a service bulletin????????

T
Nov 29, 2007
any dealers on here that want to stick there necks out a little and give some insight on the subject some of us have mods in mind that wouldnt make much since to do if we are going to be getting new guts!

D
Dec 29, 2007
So far this is what has happened to mine.
Both jugs marked
One piston lost all compresion
The other one scored badly
Head screwed because of above
All injector o-rings cracked
Reed cage screwed
Y-pipe gasket failed
intake gasket failed
Both crank seal failed
Track is starting to delaminate
Front bumper ripped of while lifting sled
Drivers do not drive on all track lugs (its like they are the wrong pitch)
It has had 2 reflashes.
Everything was covered under warranty except the track and driver thing polaris is still looking into it. The sled is completly stock.
Can't wait to get it back on the snow this year!

A
Dec 11, 2007
Hopefully they come out w/driver fix sometime. It sux when the "iceball" forms around the drivers. It almost locks the track up and works the belt excessively.

As for the new top end, polaris is being real tight lipped about it. My guess is they don't want to cause a big stir across the industry.

My recommendation would be to compile a list of affected sleds. Once done, send new power packages to the dealers and be done with it. Does everone really trust the "cert" mechanics at their dealers to tear down their motors and rebuild them to factory specs.

IMO opinion polairs would save $$$ by swapping out the power units and having the old ones shipped back to Minn., rather than paying the dealers the hourly rate to rebuild motors.

But who am I, just joe stupid, the average consumer. Somebody tell the polaris reps to do a exchange rep. program w/yamaha and see how they do business.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
any dealers on here that want to stick there necks out a little and give some insight on the subject some of us have mods in mind that wouldnt make much since to do if we are going to be getting new guts!

You hit the nail on the head. That's how this whole thing started. My Brother in Law was going to mill his head and do some other mods. One of his good friends owns a dealership and told him to hold off till this whole recall thing goes down. Good timing Polaris. Right before winter when a person is totally stoked and ready to spend some time and money to hop up his ride.

AKCoop: Very good point. Not everyone lives in an area with a reputable dealer who we trust to tear our motors apart.:eek:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I agree, if they can't do it right the first time why would I trust them a second time? I do trust my dealer 600 miles away, but not the local ones. I would be quite adamant about doing it myself. Hopefully, none of us have effected units. Anyone heard anything else on the excessive fuel consumption fix?

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Hopefully they come out w/driver fix sometime. It sux when the "iceball" forms around the drivers. It almost locks the track up and works the belt excessively. 09's are out and Polaris didnt do squat to resolve this..problem is that dealers wont do anything(well mostdealers)until they have a service note. Polaris wont find out anything unless a dealer trys to do a warranty claim.. basically their communication sujks. I have emailed Polaris on a few different issues including corporate responsibility issues and they just send a "canned" response that says you should contact your dealer.

As for the new top end, polaris is being real tight lipped about it. My guess is they don't want to cause a big stir across the industry. I have spoke indepth with a Polaris Dealer service manager that doesnt really like Polaris as far as corporate communication goes and he hasnt heard anything.

My recommendation would be to compile a list of affected sleds. Once done, send new power packages to the dealers and be done with it. Does everone really trust the "cert" mechanics at their dealers to tear down their motors and rebuild them to factory specs. Cant just send the "field change order parts" out to dealers as they dont know where the sleds are at or what dealer they will go to. Many people buy from one dealer then move far away. Point of sale contact info is the best way to get started as long as you have a current address with Polaris or dont have a used sled. HOwever Polaris will know the amount of affect units from their sales records and should have the parts available and ready. Then again remember the gas tank filler recall....A recall with no parts available..just BS backorders. I would guess that they are waiting to get the orders then they place their order for the parts. Polaris is a company that was small and got big too fast. They dont know how to be a big efficient company..many internal communications issues.

IMO opinion polairs would save $$$ by swapping out the power units and having the old ones shipped back to Minn., rather than paying the dealers the hourly rate to rebuild motors. Very true as long as the cost of shipping, restocking, and rebuilding, repackaging and processing and people pay, etc is cheaper then the cost of just sending out a new item.

But who am I, just joe stupid, the average consumer. Somebody tell the polaris reps to do a exchange rep. program w/yamaha and see how they do business.
No you are not stupid or you would just sit back and accept business as usual as just fine. You are looking at ways to improve a process and thats how things get changed...one idea will lead to another and sooner or later something might get changed or people will just get tired of trying to change a stubborn mule and they just go buy a different horse.

Last edited:

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
I have not heard of any thing to solve your fuel problem, my sled is just the opposite I have used less than 1 gallon of oil on just over 500 miles and every time we go out every one is on empty and my D8 is still around half and we ride all pretty equal. The problems I am having is with the track, it is showing cords all over and I am having problems with alignment (we had sweet powder both trips) I have talked to 3 dealerships ( in MN ) and none of them have heard of any recalls, even after entering my vin #

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I'm going to try and make it to a local dealer tomorrow and have my buddy get on the phone with Polaris tech and get to the bottom of some of this. Between the possible motor issues and the "excessive fuel consumption" problem I would think they would have some answers. I just love how we hear about this stuff on these forums before the dealers even know whats going on.

The fuel consumption I guess is somewhat common. From what I'm reading on HCS, it involves a reflash a resistor and plugging in a blue and pink wire.

Happy reading.
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=331977&st=60&gopid=4115582&#entry4115582

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
High fuel consumption

I, too don't get very good mileage on my D8 155. Mfgrs tout EFI as having less emissions, which would imply that it is burning fuel more efficiently, hence, better mileage. NOT! My 2000 carbed RMK got better mileage. If the problem is the mapping of the EFI, how can they keep selling new models if the problem isn't fixed yet? I heard from my dealer last week that it looks like we're gonna just have to live with the bog/hesitation :face-icon-small-dis even with the reflash. If the fuel-mapping engineer at Poo can't trouble shoot this, then I suggest they find a new engineer, or they will surely loose future sales over this. I agree with above that it's ironic that the sledders who write in to threads like these seem to have a better handle as to what's going on. I'm gonna try plugging the black/blue and pink wires together to see if there's any difference. My wires were unplugged, and so were all 4 sleds of the 2009's he had in stock. Keep after 'em Monte. We all appreciate your efforts investigating these things!:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features