• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding Buddies Season 2008-2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
Looking for people to ride with in Southern CO or NM. We normally spend a lot of time in the Cumbres or Wolf Creek areas but I have noticed that most people on the Colorado forum spend most of their riding time further north. We are looking for a few people who ride in southern CO to hook up and ride with this next season.

Last edited:
T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
I am always up for checking out those areas. I usually spend some time up near WC during the summer and I have already planned to ride WC a few times this winter.

Will you guys get crucified for riding with a guy from Texas though??!!! lol :beer;

Tim

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Ah hell, I'm not a native Texan anyway so I guess it's all good. lol

Are you going to the CO 4m ride? I'm heading up that way. It should be fun ride to say the least. I'm sure there will be a few beers consumed that weekend.

BTW, there's another guy on the 4m that lives in Dallas. He went over to NM last year a few times. I told him about your thread. He should be up for some riding too. I've never met him in person but he seems like a pretty nice guy.

If you know NM, I'm really interested in having someone show me around those parts. I've driven through there lots of times but I haven't gone sledding there yet.

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
We hadn't planned on the forum ride this year but it does sound like fun. might have to think about it.

Haven't riddden in NM a whole lot but Cumbres Pass is right on the CO/NM border and we ride it a lot. There is lots of territory to explore and the snow is usually pretty decent. Lots of good boondocking and some decent climbs as well. No really sick chutes but those scare the hell out of me anyway:eek:

Anyway, it would be great to get a group together. Spread the word.:beer;

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Hey glad to see a thread.

Hey guys I rode Cumbress last year a cple times and Red River. It was good enough for me.

What is the seasonal start at Cumbress?

I am up for anything I just need some notice so I can take time off work.

Fynn

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
It kinda depends on snowfall. Some years it starts early and makes Cumbres really nice by the beginning of December. Other years it takes a little longer. generally, there is a decent riding surface by the middle of December. I like at least 30" on the snowtel before I'm real comfortable riding. Ensures that most of the "landmines" are covered up.

Glad you are intested in riding with us. We will try to work out some more details as the winter season starts to take shape. hopefully it will be a good year like last year. Awesome snow.

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
Didn't get to ride there last year but we usually make a few trips up to the Cumbres Pass Area. I've elk hunted there for 20+years and love it. 3 years ago on Sept. 16th we had over 20 inches at our camp at about 10400ft!! Needless to say our hunters form S.C. said get us the hell out of this place. We were lovin it!

We plan on many more trips this year as all of us have upgraded from the trail sleds to mountain sleds.

How is the WC area, I've seen where people ride near the ski area, where else is there to go??

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
CHS,

WC has all kinds of riding. The snow there is incredible. The locals have some secret spots and know all the best riding of course but I'm learning. I hope to know more about it this winter. Hiking/driving it in the summer is one thing. Seeing it in the winter changes how things look! Take a gander at the CO board and read posts by the SoCo Crew. They all ride that area. This summer I was up high above Creede, CO. There looks to be some great riding up there that is probably relatively untouched. Creede has a sled club but I'm sure there aren't many members since it's relatively isolated during the winter months. South Fork is a good base of operations b/c you can get to the best riding from there relatively quickly.

I plan to be in the WC area at least 3 times this winter.

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Hey Tim - you get extra belts for that XP

I hear you need a few backups....lol.

Ok so middle of December so If a guy was going to be up around Xmas thru New Years. I could find some snow. I road Feb.1 at cumbress and Mar. a 3 times in Red River, NM last year.

Is there good skiing near WC. I will bring my family and the boys will want to ski while I ride.

Keep me posted.

I am trying to locate a 08 dragon 800 in the next cple months.

Fynn

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
You can most likely find some snow xmas through new years, unless something really strange happens. There is a ski area at the top of wolf creek pass. Usually has some pretty awesome snow.

We will see how things shape up

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Fynn,

I can let you talk to my dealer in Denver if you like. He's a Poo dealer too.

The D8's rode really nice. I'll bring extra belts...don't you worry!! lol. WC is supposed to be the snowiest pass in all of Colorado if I remember correctly.

Tim

We are always looking for new people to ride with! It has been a loooong summer and I am anxiously awaiting that 1st 08 D8 ride. Pres....30 days and counting!! I live in ABQ and travel every weekend to Cumbres. It is (in my opinion), the best place to ride. It has riding for every level within a couple of miles. Steep and Deep is my fav. ) I have ridden WC several times and is usually good for early snow. But the extra hour drive cuts into the ride time. The back side, (tucker pond area) is a great ride, and you can make it all the way to summitville from there. Send an email anytime and we will try and hook up. New Friends and a cold cooler of CL is always welcome.......

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Riding in 30 days really!

Well if that is the case, I am going to have to get it in gear. I thought the earliest would be Thanksgiving not Halloween and maybe even Xmas if we had bad snow year.

In any case I will be there. I tried to hook up with Ghost once before and never found him at Cumbres so I will try again this year. I have ridden MT, CO, ID, CA, NV, NM and Cumbres is on par with most places and does have alot of options for riders.

Fynn

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
It's definitely a possibility that we could be riding in 30 days. Hopefully 60 days at the most. We definitely have to make sure we can get a group together and ride. Lots of good times to be had on Cumbres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features