• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time to buy beacons and abs pack

S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
I am getting ready to purchase 2 avy beacons. I would like some advice from those of you that have had different beacons. My problem is I wont know what the strong points I am looking for should be. Every salesman and web site promote what they have. I have seen other posts on this but nothing current. One of these beacons will be for my wife/guest so it will need to be very easy to use. The other will be for me and I will practice with it but I still want easy of course. Thanks for all the input ahead of time. Rick

L

Lank

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Tracker DTS is the easiest to use in my opinion. I carry one and sell them. I don't mind carrying any of the others, but I want my companions carrying the Tracker. I know they can find me with Tracker, and find me fast and easily.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
+1 for tracker. Only thing I don't like is how the harness sits w/ a tekvest.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
how much are the trackers costing now? looking to get another one and just curious if they had moved much in price?

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
The regular tracker is $289; if you buy from us you get a free shovel or probe and you get free shipping too.

The new tracker 2 will be right around $335. It is scheduled to come out this fall, but it was scheduled to come out last fall too and never did. Hopefully it stays on schedule this year.

W

wilbilly

Dec 23, 2007
mountain home ,id
I tested 90% of the units that were on the market last year . what i found in real field testing ----not a saleman trying to sale his unit to you is that only two of the unit made the cut . It was the tracker and the pipes . the pipes had 15foot better range than the tracker but other than that they have the same performance . the tracker is cheaper and has a little better housing than the pipes . myself i ordered 19 of the pipes for my buddys do to the little bit better range the key is to practice with the unit that you buy and make sure your riding partners do the same . If you are going to do extreme stuff on the hill then also be extreme on saftey and let her rip !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have taught avalanche courses for several years now and all the new digital beacons work very well for finding one person quickly, including the Tracker. However most of the digital beacons, including the Tracker are not good at finding multiple burials, especially more than 2. The exception is the Barryvox Pulse which identifies how many people are buried and allows you to scroll to different individuals. It has a large display screen and is very simple to use.

The new Tracker SP works if you have 2 burials and the beacons are not orientated in the same direction, otherwise it is tricky. The ortovox s1 should be able to do a similar thing however there have been some issues with early releases. The main thing to do is paractice with whichever one you buy.

If you are thinking about an ABS pack i would recommend checking out the Snowpulse flotation backpack before you buy. We will be distributing them througout North America next year and they have several advantages including being lighter, providing truama protection, keeping your head up, an easily refillable canister, and a more user friendly buckle. check them out at www.snowpulse.com. Our own website www.avalanchesafety.ca is getting a big behind the scenes overhaul and will soom be completely redone and will show you where you can buy one, or order through us.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
ttt

i like the pieps works very quickly, i can almost walk directly to the person burried without stopping it tells you which way to go as your moving and it tell the depth the person is burried at too.

Premium Features