• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealer Problems

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Recently my wife and I came to situation that we think is pretty messed up. We bought two new sleds this year a phazer for my wife, a nytro for me. I put a turbo on my Nytro so the warrenty is void right away, thats fine. We bought a phazer for my wife so she could ride around with me on a worry free sled, it has been great. We recently took the phazer in for the first service, they change the oil look it over and charge you 260.00 dollers, which is a rip off, we paid it thats fine. I change the oil and service all of my things, we only took the sled in for service because they say the warrenty could be void if you do not. Well anyway after couple of rides last weekend we were riding way back in summit when the phazer spewed all of its oil out and died. After reading about people getting oil changes and having the dealer forget to remove the old oil filter gasket, that is the first thing I check, sure thing they doubled up the gaskets on the oil filter. So we spend the next few hours on the mountain removing the air box, throttle bodies, etc to get to the oil filter which is a pita. Its not like the nytro on t he bottom of the engine, but on the front which is huge pain in the *** to get, let alone in back country with limited tools. We removed the extra gasket I ran back to the truck to get oil, I had only 2 quarts which was not enough, so after all that we ended up having to tow it home. Which ruined one the the most bluebird days of the winter, Not to mention we have to drove a hundred miles to drop it off and a hundred miles to pick it up at the dealer. So my wife is pissed, she loves that sled and now thinks the reliability has been compromised from running out of oil. So we decide that its only fair they refund our oil change and extend our warrenty. The dealer says they will only refund 206.00 for in store credit. My wife says that is not good enough, so they have mechanic that did the work call back and say he is going to pay out of his pocket for another service and extended warrenty. Me and my wife decide we cannot accept that. How cheap can this dealer be making the mechanic pay out of his own pocket for this. I have worked in the service industry for many years as an hvac tech, I have worked on small residential jobs to large commercial jobs, and I will admit I have made a costly mistake in my day. Never has a company I worked for asked me to pay out of my own pocket to replace something, that is the cost of doing business. We spent 18 grand at this dealer on new sleds and have also steered friends there direction who also bought three new sleds from them as well, and this is how they treat us. I can guarentee I will tell everyone how we were treated, word of mouth is the best advetisement they can lose out on. What would any body else do? For right now I will just say it is one of the yamaha dealers in Fairbanks.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
that is a bummer nitro, had a problem with powersports years ago...more they worked on my new sled more messed up it was, after 13 straight weeks of taking it in after every ride I told them fix it or else..they didnt..so took em to court....settled it with the judge..tehy provided all new parts that I requested,,I fix it and return takeoff parts..sled is still running great today...i think that is chicken **** of them to put it on the mechanic...

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
You might as well call out the dealer on this, since we will start assuming its the Fun center, or northern power and both will get a bad rap. Bummer deal though, I have also made costly mistakes at work, and theres no way in hell I would have to personally compensate financially for those mistakes

A
Nov 26, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
I guess I will never understand why people fall for the "if we dont do the service, your warrenty could be voided"? If you do the service in the timeline that the owners manual states and you use the oil it calls for, there is NO WAY they can void it.

I went through the same talk when I got my Harley. They tried to pull the "you need to bring it to us" talk and I told them to stuff their $350 oil change.

Sorry about your crappy dealers service.

D
Jan 30, 2008
ANC, AK
www.myspcace.com
I have heard the same sh*t about Power Sports and Fun Center. First impression on both when I moved up here 3 years ago. I wasn't going back to either shop unless needed. Then 9 Lives went belly up in Delta. Which forced me to go to Northern for service and parts for my Cat. I wrecked a sled then bought one from them, quite a few buddys have bought wheelers and sleds from them which I refered them. Now I don't had any problem w. them. sorry to hear the problems that you are all having w them. Having a Mech. pay is bull sh*t. agree on that. I wouldn't knock down one dealer and leave the other ones out. Someone will always have something neg. to say about one dealership. Nytro trade her Phazer in for a real sled and u won't have those problems...

A
Nov 26, 2007
Palmer
nitro dont feel too bad i have not had good service from any of the yamaha dealers up here. I have been told i was full of bs until took the seld to them and made it act up. None the less I love yamaha machines I just do not rely on service. I had a dealer change my drivers to extroverts come to find out when I was going through the sled that they put the wrong ones on. They almost were not going to pay for it.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I would just like to say we called Yamaha customer service and explained to them what happened, they coulden't believe that the dealer made the mechanic come in on his time off and check out our sled, Yamaha also could not believe they tried to make the mechanic pay for it. Yamaha extened our warrenty on our sled and said they would pay for another dealer to check it out.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Hope those guys learned a thing or two about customer service and sled maintenance.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I'll be the dealer learns a lesson the hard way. Since you got Yamaha Motor Corp involved, and they responded the way they did, You can bet the dealer will feel so fall out from it. Yamaha Motor Corp takes their customer surveys quite serious and it is refreshing to see that. I don't have a Yamaha sled but have bought several bikes and outboards, and they do listen. Take the time to fill out the surveys they send you in the mail. I am very glad for you that Yamaha Motor Corp stepped up for you!

C
Jan 30, 2008
The same problem at Eagle River Polaris Arctic Cat. My new M8 melted a bunch of stuff under the cowling, I asked Matt about the coverage and was told no more warranty, so I called Brad at ASAC to find out info, and then was told the warranty is good until jan 010,Matt would not even look up my serial number. This problem was also posted on Hardcoresledder.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
So are there any good yamaha dealers in the state? Any ones that deal in aftermarket engine parts? Thinking of going to Outlaw motorsports but thats a long ways away.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
So are there any good yamaha dealers in the state? Any ones that deal in aftermarket engine parts? Thinking of going to Outlaw motorsports but thats a long ways away.

Northern powersports in Fairbanks seems alright, I have only ordered parts from them, never had anything serviced there, plus they never deal as much on there prices, but maybe lower prices equals bad service. I just bought two new dirtbikes from anchorage Yamaha, they seemed really nice, but I have never had anything serviced there either. No has mentioned anchorage Yamaha's service dept yet. As far as after market engine parts such as rods, pistons, etc, I don't know who I would trust in Alaska to touch an engine. That is why I installed my headshim and turbo kit myself. If you could crate send an engine to outlaw in oregon over the summer that might be a possibility, they have an excellant repuatation.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska

What are you looking at doing my friend? Shoot me a pm and let me know what your thinking about doing and maybe i can help you out.

Also, ak nitro, ADB or alaska drag bike is where you would want to go for rods, pistons and all other serious motor work. The do killer work and stand behind their work as well. They are the only people i would trust to work on my rec. engines, other than myselt that is.

Last edited:
S
Nov 6, 2002
Alaska
THUMBS UP for Yamaha

I'm glad that the parent company stood behind their product! That is always a bummer when some is willing to open their hands for your hard earned money for the big purchase, and the not stand behind the small service that they attempt to provide, even if it is a lot less money. The guy that spends $100.00 is just as important of a customer as the guy that spends $10,000.00!

Premium Features