• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills - pipe dreams and plans

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
O
Nov 27, 2007
vermillion, sd
We usually take the wives on a trip in Feb or March but they need to get started on some snow now or it will not happen. They usually get hit a couple times in Jan so maybe we are talking too soon here. I would like to get two trips in to the hills if possible, as its only half way to the mountains and sometimes we have just as much fun.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Can a husband and wife ride one sled

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Or are we talking about renting a sled for the wife this year OP????hehehe:face-icon-small-blu

B

BoondockinDragon

Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
"If I read that right, the place only has 2-3 inches this year so far?? They have to have more than that don't they??? Let us know"

Track....We have had some pretty good snow fall the last 3-4 days....there has been an inversion here though so Rapid City has had colder temps than the Hills have had. I'm just South of Rapid and have had 6-8 inches so far and we haven't lost much of it because it's stayed pretty cold. The Hills have had warmer weather so they may have had more melting. Depending on where the Snotel site is the measurements could be down because of how the sun hits that particular spot but I'm not sure. I would guess that trail riding is pretty good....probably no boondockin yet though. So far we are alot better off this time of year than we have been the past several years....hopefully it will continue and we can get back to some good Hills riding.:D

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
I was west of Bull Dog Ranch and Buskala Ranch on Friday. I saw maybe 4 to 5 inches of snow on the ground (near North Rapid Snotel). Temps are supposed to be warmer this week with no snow predicted. It looks like it will be a while before riding season.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Boondockin,

Thanks for the updates. Please keep them coming as I am planning on trying a trip to the Hills after New Years(1st-4th) with the gf. Even some trail riding would be nice for her to get some miles on the sled:D

Thank again!!

track~

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hello:
The Trailshead area got some snow last week but it is melting a little. Best snow is south of Mallo toward Limestone and Ditch Creek. The new trail 13 was pretty decent last week. Maybe 10" on the flat. Enough for trail riding but not for much off trail. The groomers worked down there last night to start getting a base.

Premium Features