• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deep Dry Pow Ride report

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I got the SP version 165" 850. My impressions

I rode this in march last year on hard pack, I loved the balance and getup, being on hard snow there wasnt much to test it on. I was very leary of the track and deep powder overall performace.

This week I rode the sled for the first time in Deep Utah dry suffocating powder. It was over the hood all day with major snow suffocating opportunities, the sled did not bog once, trust me I tried to get it buried but it never even hiccuped. I never cleared the intake vents once and they were very iced over, just like my 15 used to do. I rode side by side with a 15 with the same track length, it was bogging here and there but not the 850. So in short ZERO bog.

The front end seems to float better then the xm in the powder, I found it harder to get the front end to dip and submarine under the snow on downhill pow turns, I know its not because of these razer blades skidoo calls skis, I think the higher front nose cone area is the reason. It was pretty cool to see and feel.

Punching the gas is hard to aviod on this sled, it just wants you to pull that trigger its like a gun firing really, the things revs well, it seems slightly louder then the 800etec in stock form. I noticed that this sled gets up and out of the snow under acceleration better then the xm, not gonna say its incredible but it is better at getting up on top of the snow then the xm.

I was worried this track wouldn't be an improvement in deep dry baseless powder, it is a great improvement. The track pitch is the key in my opinion.

Hand warmers work.....for now

As you can see the tunnel builds ice/snow like any other liquid cooled sled since the beginning of time, On the bright side these standard version running boards felt great and never felt like they were icing up on me.

gauge is small but It doesn't bother me, the numbers are large so its pretty visible and easy to see in standing position.

To much deep pow to tell how it handled the trail, in march it seemed fine, not much push in the corners.

This thing looks long, I'll have to compare it to a 15xm to see.

Oh and my favorite thing, whether pulling a hill, blazing down the trail, all at or above 9500ft with 3ft of blower, utah blower mind you, this sled hits 8100 and holds it like no doo has ever done before, this primary clutch is Big time IMHO. I loved that in the not so ideal conditions it was hitting AND holding R's. I would jump on the 15 and make the same pass and it was 300-400 below its normal R's in the same snow conditions.

Overall I can see why the hype. some things are a slight improvement, some things are a big improvement. Within 50ft from the truck I knew this was a great sled.

I think I will be doing the following upgrades this season,

-Grippers, sorry not a fan of ice skates for skis out west.

-Shocks all around, Doo shocks just dont cut it over the long haul

-Can, not sure which one, Ill wait and see how things go for a few weeks.

C
Mar 13, 2014
Where did u guys ride?
we rode south in the uintas, 3ft plus up high
I too have an sp 165 3, what u said was spot on
I did put exit shocks all around, sway bar disconnected and diamond s can
Zero issues, sled flat rips, responds much easier than my 15 t3 174
I also ran an old belt so i could start break in much faster
Had it to the handle bars most of the day
Not one shred of belt dust in 40 miles

tmp_26556-IMG_20161129_1818251462402643.jpg tmp_26556-1600985568749.jpg

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
you mean i cant take this 850 and ride it at 8-10000 feet without changing pins in the clutch to get 7900 rpm?

Premium Features