• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New spider for TEAM clutch, need re-balanced?

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I've got a brand new barebone's TEAM clutch that I bought at Hayday's. Doesn't even have the spider with it. Well I didn't find out until alfter I bought it that you can't buy the spider new and that it is balanced with the assembly. I should've known that I guess, impulse buy. :rolleyes: So if I buy a used spider from someone and put new rollers on it, do I need to get the whole clutch rebalanced?

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Secondary right SS20? I wouldn't worry about it that much. Primary on the other hand, go for the full balancing, but go with Indydan. ;)

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Team made some of the primary clutches. My 02 800 has a team primary.

Indydan would be a good choice for balancing along with Brad(1200psi)
I just had mine done by brad. Very happy with the outcome.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Just so we're clear, yes I'm talking about the secondary clutch. It is the TSS-98 version. My primary clutch was balanced last summer by Indy Dan so I'm good to go there. If I don't get the secondary balanced what do I risk? Wearing out the clutch faster, premature bearing failure?

Last edited:
P
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
I know I was the one that said to get it balanced, but the one thing about the spiders mass is right near the centerline of rotation, so it has a very small effect on overall clutch balance. I'd still prefer to have it all balanced, but I couldn't see the clutch blowing apart. Keep in mind that the secondary rpm can exceed the primary under full shift out conditions. Did you call TEAM and talk to them?

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
No I have not called TEAM. I guess that would probably be the best thing to do. I'm not a cheap ***, if I gotta spend the money to get it balanced then so be it. :)

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I talked to brad (1200psi) and he said that balancing a secondary isn't really necessary.

If you think about it are you going to have it rebalanced every time you switch Helix's? Not me!

The main reason they are done at the factory is the castings and then machining of the sheeves, too much fluctuation in the process.

I could see it ir you're looking at some real hard core drag racing or on a motor that really spins high R's like tripples but I wouldn't worry about it on a twin where most don't spin over 8500.

The Primary is a completely different story though that shaft already has to deal with vibration and any vibration fluctuations you can eliminate there are a very good thing.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Secondary isn't attached directly to your engine, if it were it would be the primary. The primary is more important to be balanced than the secondary. They do balance the secondary at the factory, but it all changes once you swap out the helix which makes it senseless.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Thanks guys. That's what my first instinct was.

Anybody got a new/used spider they'll sell me. No big deal if the rollers are worn, I can put new ones on. Assuming you don't need a special tool.

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Did you try some dealers? Most will have some wrecked clutches around.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Try calling Erlandson Performance 218-829-6036.

I remember when the Team clutch was first used for ER, Glenn Erlandson was telling myself and a friend about backing a machine in to work on it and proceeding to remove the belt, the rollers were still in the back part of the helix and they busted the spider in the clutch. LOL!! but I'm pretty sure they could get you one, or might have some laying around.

Premium Features