• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

back firing 800 cat

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Does it just do it when it shuts off? if so, no worries. Mine will do it too occasionally. It isn't a big deal. However, if it does it when running, you may want to look at your jets.

U
Nov 28, 2007
Alaska
it runs rough and backfires while idiling give it gas it dies and backfires very loud like a gunshot.after it dies it takes a wile 2 get it started again. ran same jets before with out problem.

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You can't put the wires on the wrong plug! They both fire at the same time. Air/fuel mix could do it. Idle validation switch (I can't remember if they still had one), CDI, stator, timing key, crank phase, ign. trigger, coil, plug/wires, or tps. That should narrow it right down!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
More than likely its ignition, stator/cdi. When idleing flip the choke on and try to rev it up, if it gets better its a lean condtion in the carbs (which usually creates a missfire and sometimes a backfire) Possibly dirty. check the reeds on a BACKFIRE it usually blows back and breaks the reed petals, a missfire is a pop out the exhaust and usually doesnt hurt things but indicates poor/lean burn or timing/ignition out of whack or time.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Anybody that has ever owned a cat knows this is the kill switch / throttle safety switch. Unplug the killswitch and I would bet that it fixes the problem.

M

miko

Nov 28, 2007
So. Dak.
Anybody that has ever owned a cat knows this is the kill switch / throttle safety switch. Unplug the killswitch and I would bet that it fixes the problem.

I agree.
I was going to say the same thing.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
You can't put the wires on the wrong plug! They both fire at the same time. Air/fuel mix could do it. Idle validation switch (I can't remember if they still had one), CDI, stator, timing key, crank phase, ign. trigger, coil, plug/wires, or tps. That should narrow it right down!
so theres no ignition timing to sleds? seems to me that if the mag fires at tdc and the pto fires (at the same time) while the pto piston is at the bottom of the cylinder.. wouldnt that not work well, hence having the plugs on backwards?
if i am wrong digger lemme know, but i know that on my v8's, the plugs can definatly be put on wrong... but maybe thats 4 stroke compared to 2?

N
Nov 27, 2007
I would check your timing key, I have had some of the older sleds where the timing key actually rusts out,and the flywheel floats around a bit and does that!!!Other than that you could also have a bad reed pedal...
Hope that helps....

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Has it been sitting in the barn all summer? Take your pipe off and see how many mouse nests are in it. Could be a pluged exhaust.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
so theres no ignition timing to sleds? seems to me that if the mag fires at tdc and the pto fires (at the same time) while the pto piston is at the bottom of the cylinder.. wouldnt that not work well, hence having the plugs on backwards?
if i am wrong digger lemme know, but i know that on my v8's, the plugs can definatly be put on wrong... but maybe thats 4 stroke compared to 2?

There is timing to a sled, but both plugs fire at the same time. Look at your coil and tell me how it can seperate spark! You can switch your wires to either side and it does not matter. 4 strokes do have individual spark timing.

Premium Features