• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best handling mods

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
What is the most real live Hp that you guys can realisticaly get out of the normaly aspirated viper engines without seriously tearing into the engine. Had lots of past experience with the Nytros, just not up to date on anything since the viper.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
What are the best mods for handling and weight loss for the viper?

Lightweight battery = 12 lb loss
Skinz seat = 5 lbs loss
Headlight/hood mod = 9 lbs loss i made my own carbon piece up
Stock muffler is heavy easy weight loss there

Handling.. I like the polaris skis , play with front skid shock compression setting and i run skid in the upper holes in tunnel front and rear

viper front.jpg

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Lightweight battery = 12 lb loss
Skinz seat = 5 lbs loss
Headlight/hood mod = 9 lbs loss i made my own carbon piece up
Stock muffler is heavy easy weight loss there

Handling.. I like the polaris skis , play with front skid shock compression setting and i run skid in the upper holes in tunnel front and rear

No issues with the battery? How cold out is it usually where you ride? I've heard they don't like the really cold temps.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Trail Vipers came with 135 pound front skid shock spring, very light spring as trail machines need front end weight. BUT, for reasons unknown 2014 and 2015 XTX and MTX Vipers came with a 110 pound front skid shock spring...unbelievable. Should have been a 160 or even a 180.

Call Zbroz (or your favorite vendor) for a 160 pound spring and that nose heavy Viper will dance like an M8.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
What is the most real live Hp that you guys can realisticaly get out of the normaly aspirated viper engines without seriously tearing into the engine. Had lots of past experience with the Nytros, just not up to date on anything since the viper.

Air box mod, aftermarket muffler and EVO ECU flash gets 171 horsepower on the dyno. Air box mod and can for high altitude (no fuel controller) gets around 150 to 155 horsepower. Air box mod used in dyno test listed on facebook page "Yamaha Viper Tech"

A
Jan 28, 2010
Mpi turbo190 hp. Stingray 300 lbs ready to ride should I look for 180 spring? Grippers are the ski to get? What about the 16 front end and this steering mod wyoboy keeps barking about?

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Mpi turbo190 hp. Stingray 300 lbs ready to ride should I look for 180 spring? Grippers are the ski to get? What about the 16 front end and this steering mod wyoboy keeps barking about?

160 or 180 your call, Cat dealer in Wyoming is putting 180 springs in M8's so it is being done. In my opinion this chassis does not need an aggressive ski, I tried the Powder Pro and took them off after one ride. I have not ridden the 16 front end so I cannot answer, and as far as steering mods ride one first before changing or at least only a mod easily undone (like the spring change)

A
Jan 28, 2010
Got about 300 miles last year so have ridden a little. Just looking for best bang for the buck mods for handling and weight loss. Do have the mpi can. Thinking new skis and 36 front end and maybe heavier spring now. Any recommendations on front end?

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
According to the dyno graph I'm looking at air box mod, muffler, header, "fueling" PC5 i Guess, +timing, 9800 rpm, 91 octane tune, will give you 160.4 horsepower.

Quite the expensive set up. Not to mention trying to figure out the clutching.

9800RPM!!! Like to see ur belt handle that RPM for very long...LOL

Old Nytros and new Vipers... header, airbox mod, can, PC5 will get u 145HP @ 9000 rpm....maybe 150 if ur lucky. That said, torque comes up throughout the powerband so it's a very different engine with these mods IMO.

Beyond that...Turbo is much easier and more reliable that trying to run belts at 9800.....

My 0.02

OTM

Premium Features