• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rebuilding Polaris Primary Clutch

V
Does anybody have any good ideas on removing the buttons on a stock Polaris primary clutch. I got 3 out of the 6 removed with pliers but the other 3 are worn down so much that I can't get the pliers on them. Any help would be appreciated.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I've never removed buttons on a primary clutch but a drill bit works good for the buttons on a secondary clutch. Drill into the buttons clockwise and then out counterclockwise and the button might come out with it. This is how I did it on my Poo button secondary.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Take a piece of sheet metal, stainless works better than mild steel, 18guage(.048) or thicker and cut a section out of it just narrower than the button. Making it at a bit of an angle works best cause it gets tighter the farther you drive it on. Now sharpen both sides of the cutout on one edge. Drive the sharpened edge against the spider on to the button and twist it side to side, they will pop right out, and it doesn't damage the button.

If you are having a hard time following what I am talking about, go to SLP's website and look at the pictures of their button removal tool and copy it. Its a tool that would seriously take you less than 5 minutes to make.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I bought a button removal tool from HPE a few years ago and they pop right out. Use a small chisel if you have to break them, you are gonna replace them anyways.

Premium Features