• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 Crank New bearings?

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
So I replaced the bearings on both ends, put every thing back together and it runs:D I just wonder if I should have filled the space between the oil pump and the water pump with oil before I put the case together? It shouldnt take long to fill and come out the return line ....I hope...Dino

H
Jan 10, 2002
PF, Idaho
Yes you should of filled the cavity. The only way it will get oil is if your oil tank is completely full. There is a line that goes down that fills it up.

It doesn't recirculate. If the oil level drops the inner crank seals are bad.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Yes you should of filled the cavity. The only way it will get oil is if your oil tank is completely full. There is a line that goes down that fills it up.

So I went and filled the oil tank, no oil ran down the line... however when I start and run the eng. oil runs up from the eng to the tank... it didnt the first time I started it ...letting the eng rest for the night, made a mark on the tank to see if it goes down. Dino

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT

Well after letting the sled sit over nite the oil level didnt drop so Iam gonna guess its ok. I dont know but I think the oil does recirculate, I very seldom run with the oil tank much over half full, just seems to slobber out the vent on the cap. Got a pol cap on it this year....Dino

H
Jan 10, 2002
PF, Idaho
The reaon I don't think it recirculates is, i don't use the oil injection and have a block off plate. I connect a hose from the plate to the fitting above. I keep it filled to where the case splits. The level just stays the same.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
I have a 98 summit,..yes diff. eng ...but I dont have oil injection on that sled, but have a small bottle filled with oil and hoses that circulate oil to the shaft between the oil pump and water pump, came to me like this and I was told to keep the bottle half full for circulation purposes? Dino

R

RideCo

Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins, Co
If I remember right when I had mine apart I saw that the oil would fill the case where it needed. The oil coming back in the top hose is bypass that isn't used by the engine I believe, so if it's coming back you should have oil where you need it. I'll double check my setup when I get a chance.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Stress test

Yuppers rode the 02 for the first time sence installing the crank bearings. Ran 3/4 of a tank of fuel thru it, ran great so I think all is good? Dino

Premium Features