• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone had a microdiscectomy on there back and went back to riding

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I am going in for surgery on my L-5 S-1 disc on oct 10 the surgeon said i will be back to my everyday life i am just wanting to know if anyone on here has had the and went back to riding.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you will fill better out of the gate the thing to remember is the disc need 12 weeks to heal up before you start loading it. riding makes it feel better just not bending over and lifting and pulling. get your budds to take up the slack this year.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The older you are the harder it will be to get back. Don't push yourself and do a lot of physical therapy to strengthen everything up. When you start riding again the things that will help avoid problems you want to avoid are jumping and lifting your sled out.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
There are probably as many stories as there are people. Have had two microdiscectomies, one on L4-L5 in 2009 and one on L5-S1 in 2010.

The first one bothered me for years and finally got bad enough they operated. Recovery was instantaneous and I walked out there the same day with the only real long term issue being losing about 20% of my left calf muscle and some numbness.

The second one only bothered me for a matter of months before it went really bad and I came out of that one having lost about 80% of my right calf. I had lost most of that a week before surgery and it never recovered. And it took many months before I was feeling even half way recovered - it will never be the same.

Can't ride anything like I did before (some say I couldn't ride well before - lol) but I'm happy because I'm relatively pain free now and I've gotten back into the mountains again.

On the other hand just talked to a friend who had surgery maybe 20 years ago and he's planning a two week 15,000km motorcycle trip and has no issues whatsoever.

In any case get exercising and take it one step at a time - and good luck!

Last edited:
Y

yamahahaha

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Had l4 l5 s1 done in 1998 injured at work. Lost about 90% of the feeling in my right leg.Bad enough that I rolled my ankle wich in turn swole up twice the normal size didn't feel any of it. Took a year off from riding did rehab for the entire year mostly strengthening my core and learning how to lift things properly using my legs instead of being baby hewy. Now as long as as I don't get too much of a gut I feel fine. I am a rancher so I stay active unfortunately I don't make it to the gym as much as I want but most of my work is a workout no restrictions..

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Thats up to you!

I know ppl that have. HeII I know some that skipped the surgery and used other methods and they are the healthiest ones.

Its up to you really.

T
Had a discectomy and a fusion done on my lower back. Fusion was done about 10 years after the discectomy. Worked good for a while. Do your PT and stay moving and hopefully you will be good to go. Try not to have any hard collisions that may set you back. Was riding my sled 8 weeks after my fusion but I worked my *** off and did a lot of PT and hit the gym everyday for those 8 weeks. Good Luck.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
my back has been Fed for decades .
they have been trying to get me in to surgery for some time now.
I am only 45 at this point and have no desire to be one of the 25% who are far worse off after the surgery.
so I live with it .
comes and goes in waves
when it gets to the point I cant take it get the injections and they really help.
I have been on a 3 mo good streak and it is making me nervous going this long with out a issue I just know it is going to pop about the time we are loading up for early season trip to wy. lol
your dice to roll 'for every 3 good to ok story I have listen to I have heard and seen 1 awful story.
plenty of them on line to read about.
I know when u cant get out of bed and when u walk it sends electricity down your leg u think it wont get better. but for me it dose and I am a remodel contractor who uses his body all day every day.
crazy ting is I can lift cases of tile sheets of wood all day then one day bend down to grab a pen and party over crazy

G
Jan 18, 2012
Broke my neck this past June, from my c7 to my t1 dislocation and shattered my C7, 3 titanium rods later 8 screws and the surgery miracle I'll be back on the snow!!
I've been doing serious rehab and endurance workouts to be stronger than ever!
Now almost 5 months later I'm about to go back to work full time and my neurologist says I'll be good as new and technically stronger by my 6 month point!
Note I'm 25 years old and my body has healed at an amazing rate! But I figured I'd share with u all that if your determined you can be BRAAAPIN again without a doubt

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
my back has been Fed for decades .
they have been trying to get me in to surgery for some time now.
I am only 45 at this point and have no desire to be one of the 25% who are far worse off after the surgery.
so I live with it .
comes and goes in waves
when it gets to the point I cant take it get the injections and they really help.
I have been on a 3 mo good streak and it is making me nervous going this long with out a issue I just know it is going to pop about the time we are loading up for early season trip to wy. lol
your dice to roll 'for every 3 good to ok story I have listen to I have heard and seen 1 awful story.
plenty of them on line to read about.
I know when u cant get out of bed and when u walk it sends electricity down your leg u think it wont get better. but for me it dose and I am a remodel contractor who uses his body all day every day.
crazy ting is I can lift cases of tile sheets of wood all day then one day bend down to grab a pen and party over crazy

Saying things like, it will prob go out when. ..... is a good way to make it happen. If you don't want it to happen never speak of it!
I work with ppl for anything they want - and I do it through thought and the sub conscious mind. Clearing out old and putting in the right stuff for the body to take care of itself. I won't even go to the doctor because I don't want there bs in my head. I spent a lot of time hurting in a bad way and now it rarely ever gets me and the only time my back has the slightest hiccup is when I stay up more than 24hrs or consecutively get less than 3hrs of sleep for 3 days or more in a row.
More ppl gets sick by saying or thinking, " I'm prob going to get sick" science shows just the thought weakens the immune system.
A thought!
So for God's sake don't say it, and do your best to change the thought. Just start telling yourself. " I'm such a bad azz my body healed itself and I don't have to worry about it" or something to that effect.
It may not make sense ( it didn't when I first started learning) but I can tell you story after story and give you the science behind what your mind can do. Which is pretty much anything!

I get petty involved with helping ppl so don't take it the wrong way, and anyone that wants to know more, I'll gladly help.

Premium Features