• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Free/cheap/easy mods

R
Dec 25, 2007
Hey guys, picking up a xm in a few days. Are there any little nessasary mods you guys have come across so far? Sales person said not to remove the belt plastic cover. Something to do with removing warm air?

Any dealer options recomendations? Any thoughts on what to get and not get.

Harry

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Pull the sway bar, lots lots better with it out. Plus lose a couple lbs. Free one.

Tom's Snowmobile Powder Wedges. Those are pretty cheap, easy to install and work well.

Might want to pull the pin weight out of the pins depending where you ride. Cheap to free depends on if you do it or pay someone.

So far other than that the XM's are really good. Suspension is probably the best mountian one they have had for soaking up bumps. At least for box stock.

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
Pull the sway bar, lots lots better with it out. Plus lose a couple lbs. Free one.

Tom's Snowmobile Powder Wedges. Those are pretty cheap, easy to install and work well.

Might want to pull the pin weight out of the pins depending where you ride. Cheap to free depends on if you do it or pay someone.

So far other than that the XM's are really good. Suspension is probably the best mountian one they have had for soaking up bumps. At least for box stock.

Powder Wedges aren't exactly cheap. Over $100 w/ shipping.

Stevoreno

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2010
Park City, UT
Got 100 miles on an XM the last 3 days and I absolutely love it.

I would definitely suggest the filter kit they have, has about 6 pieces and helps to keep the snow out of the front end. One of the 3 XM's I was riding with didn't have it on Tuesday when it was really deep and it was bogging occasionally. Think the kit runs about $100.

The LINQ system is pretty cool, the gas can is super easy to use. The bags quite a bit to be desired. Hopefully some people will build some after market bags / racks that are a more functional and aesthetically pleasing.

Enjoy!!!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Powder Wedges aren't exactly cheap. Over $100 w/ shipping.

Hence the wording " pretty cheap". When it comes to toys it seems anything you get costs way more than a $100. Heck you can't even get a OEM belt for that anymore.

R
Dec 25, 2007

Pin weights out of where?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
In the primary clutch, in the end of the arm. BUT you only may need to do this if you ride a lot from 8000 ish to 10,000 or higher. As the motors have a harder time making power at that elevation, and by removing the pins it helps make the motor rpm in the hp band.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Pin weights out of where?

Clutch weight....they come setup for 6-9000 ft -ish.
If you ride lower you will need to add weight. Adjust weight to run on clicker 3-4.
Great sled, just make sure they cleaned the oil off the clutches, re torque the primary and ride it!
Leave the clutch guard/duct....it works.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Another free thing you could is pull all the foam out of the nose cone. It gets wet and holds water then turns to ice, which adds weight to the sled.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Clutch weight....they come setup for 6-9000 ft -ish.
If you ride lower you will need to add weight. Adjust weight to run on clicker 3-4.
Great sled, just make sure they cleaned the oil off the clutches, re torque the primary and ride it!
Leave the clutch guard/duct....it works.

Thank you winterbrew you put it better than I did.

R
Dec 25, 2007
Thanks winterbrew. That's what I was needing to know. I ride 1300meters. So I wont need to remove the pins. And ill leave the clutch guard. And yes I made sure they cleaned the oil off thw clutch. Can't wait to ride!

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Adjust handle bar position, and tune suspension to your liking. I found the XM does not need the sway bar removed it handles with ease in all conditions with it on. The XP was a different story.

I am confused at why the nose plugging with snow would cause the etec to bog? are you sure it wasn't the prefilter on the intake clogged that made it bog?

The nose grill and the grill over the can are "interesting" It obviously will get very wet and snow packed in these areas with how open the grills are....I find it hard to believe there isn't a reason for this documented in the engineer design reports with Skidoo. I mean the grill for the can is right on top of the temp sensor....you would think that all that melting snow on it would be a problem. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. I'm leaving it alone until proven otherwise.

D

dropitbuster

Nov 28, 2007
Terrace B.C.
Thanks winterbrew. That's what I was needing to know. I ride 1300meters. So I wont need to remove the pins. And ill leave the clutch guard. And yes I made sure they cleaned the oil off thw clutch. Can't wait to ride!

Don't remove all the weight in the clutch arms. You need some. The amount depends on what elevation you are riding and the conditions (heavy versus light snow). Buy an pin kit from a company like Dalton and a small digital scale (like the drug dealers use) and adjust the pin weight so you are reaching 7900 rpm on clicker 3 or 4.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
i agree on taking more flap off the 4 in was not enough (at 1st crease) looking at taking 4 more in off otherwise it will get sucked under 1 way or another and the pretty lettering will have nice track marks on it. second i heard about the block of ice thing so bought the kit for keeping powder out and so far i just installed the grill guard and seems to work fine and hold the snow there and makes a perfect smile on the sled when busting thru the deep stuff which we seldom get in western wa. but now is really deep.:face-icon-small-hap

Nov 28, 2007
You guys know that the snow flap is made so if you push in the center of it, it will stiffen up and point more straight out the back? Helps eliminate the suck under.

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
You guys know that the snow flap is made so if you push in the center of it, it will stiffen up and point more straight out the back? Helps eliminate the suck under.

Yes and after cutting it it will still do it either way I'd still cut it and thinking about cutting it above the skidoo letters to eliminate the white

Premium Features