• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying: 2011 Pro 163 or 2010 163 Boosted?

J

Jdub1177

Oct 6, 2010
Okay... I need to know kinda quickly... What would you guys do?

BTW I'm not knew, I forgot my old log in, I've been off and on Snowest for 8 years, this isn't my first post.....

I've been a Ski-Doo guy since 2004 (prior Poo), had a few buddies show me up on 240hp Dragon's, and I really want one....but I've read about some sporadic issues... This Snowcheck 2010 is sold as new with a Boondocker Turbo...

The Pro is what it is, but not a spring model with the extended motor warranty... I like the light weight, but I couldn't turbo tell next year, and 150+ hp seems like I'd be going opposite of what I want to do...

What is the better move this year??

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i had a similar situation after pretty much totaling my sled last year...Buy a new pro, or build another turbo dragon. decided to build another dragon because i know the chassis, love the power, and didn't feel that the sled held me back at all. i know the turbo companies are bustin @$$ to get everything out for this season, but i didnt want to be a test bunny. i figure i'll let them get all the kinks worked out this year and if they prove to be better than my current set up i'll build one next summer. but i have ridden the pro chassis, and it ROCKS!

J

Jdub1177

Oct 6, 2010
My concern is resale on the 2010, by next year it could be worth half of what I pay this year... At the same time, I don't want to be a guinea pig either... Hmmmmmmm

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
buy the pro, get all the engine problems out of the way with the warrenty and turbo it next year...

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
My concern is resale on the 2010, by next year it could be worth half of what I pay this year... At the same time, I don't want to be a guinea pig either... Hmmmmmmm

Have you really looked at the used snowmobile market? Any sled you buy is going to be worth half next year!

J

Jdub1177

Oct 6, 2010
Have you really looked at the used snowmobile market? Any sled you buy is going to be worth half next year!

LOL! I just sold my 08 XPs, so yes I took a bath but not 50%! I'm thinking old body, and Turbo'd.....= more more soap!!! And if the Pro turns out to be "good"' it could really hurt the 10. But that power is hard to pass on.....this is a hard decision...

I'm thinking the Pro is the right move, run it hard....seat the pistons and add 10lbs of boost next year!!! I'll probably want a pro next year even if I had the turbo 10... Fiscally it makes the most sense....right?

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Your logic is sound, you've covered the issues well. You will be money ahead to buy the Pro and turbo it next year but some of the benfit depends on how many years you keep a sled. It's going to be interesting to see how much fun factor the Pro adds even in stock form.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
tough call< i have a pro snowchecked as well but dont think ill take it this year, the 2010 d8 has ran perfectly for all my buds and you can get one for 12-13g for a nicwe one boosted already, heck thats almost the same price for just the sled alone for the pro, that is my logic, ride something with 200-240hp for the same amount as for a new sled with hopefully 150hp, and your not the test dummy like all the 08-09 d8 owners. just my .02

J

Jdub1177

Oct 6, 2010
At least I'm not the only one pondering this.... The pro's and con's nearly equal themselves..... I know of more then a few new 10's boosted for $13k or less.... Maybe wait for the snow show????

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Yup

tough call< i have a pro snowchecked as well but dont think ill take it this year, the 2010 d8 has ran perfectly for all my buds and you can get one for 12-13g for a nicwe one boosted already, heck thats almost the same price for just the sled alone for the pro, that is my logic, ride something with 200-240hp for the same amount as for a new sled with hopefully 150hp, and your not the test dummy like all the 08-09 d8 owners. just my .02
This is the guy with the right answer here. Even if you put a fresh set of pistons in the sled you would be way farther ahead money wise to buy 1 year old with boost on it.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I too was in the same situation last spring. After riding the Pro (which is excellent) and a Dragon at 12 lbs, there was no way I could resist not getting the year older sled with a turbo. The Dragon is an excellent chassis and it works well with Boost.

If you get the Pro, do yourself a favor and don't ride with guys with boost :)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
As for getting a 12-13k used T-d8 vs a 2011 Pro....
I've ridden both. Chassis for chassis, I'd get the Pro.
Dollar for dollar, that's a hard one to argue against getting the Dragon.

If you can wait 9 months....I'd buy a used T-Pro in the spring of 2011. LOL

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
One thing not mentioned with a used T is the useful life between major overhaul. There's a price to be paid for adding all that power.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Excellent useful information here gang!

I like what everyone is saying. I think you have your answer.

This is not an opinion of the question but more to further discussion. I've coached a bunch of guys in a very similar direction. I'm going to add some additional "experience" flavor from a guy who spent a decent amount of time on the Demo PRO and lots of miles on one of the best riding IQ RAW'S on the planet (and about 200 other sleds along the way). If you want your IQ RAW to behave like a PRO you will need to spend some money on the suspension. (you;re still going to have a heavier sled)

We've had nearly 500 different riders test our IQ RAW Performance Partner Sled with HOLZ/FOX suspension and CARLS POWER. Universally if they didn't own a boosted sled they slobbered all over it (until they heard the price). If they came from boost they were much much less enthusiastic.

Guys still get ruined for having any "ride" objectivity about a sled when they come from boosted power. I call it the Yamaha syndrom. RIDES LIKE CRAP BUT YOU CAN'T FEEL ALL THAT WEIGHT WHEN THE SKIS ARE IN THE SKY! It's only heavy when you let out!

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
I too had this option, i bought used turbo...didnt want to be a guinea pig, especially when the last five sleds polaris has released has more or less been a flop in some sort of fashion, i am polaris through and through and will probably never switch brands but even I realize that there are inevital problems....most of the sleds boosted for around 12-13 have a skid as well so yah your up a little weight but capable of up approx 100 hp...besides, Rob you and Mountain Horse probably know best, i too rode a pro for 100 or so miles last year, is the sled that you guys are getting today truly the same sled that you rode??? I would have to argue that it is probably not...but mayb ejust my opinion

Premium Features