• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching help - n/a Apex

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I have a few mods done to the sled: 162" Camo extreme track, 18/42 gearing, undertunnel exhaust, Boss seat.

I am trying to get my clutching a little better. I usually run the sled at 1000' elevation in the U.P., but just got back from the Snowies and that kinda brought my problems up a little more. Clutches are stock except for Supertips weights

First off, my clutch engagement is may too high & harsh in my opinion. It engages a about 4300rpms and it slams hard. I'd like to get this to engage in the 3500rpm range and engage softer.
Currently there is a white/silver/white primary spring in it.
Also, in the Snowies it seems like my rpm's are falling off while climbing. I have the weights setup so that it just barely redlines on the hardpack trail, but once I get on the steep and deep it has touble getting to 10000rpms, its usually in the 9700 range, but seems to jump up a down a bunch.
Secondary is bone stock, is there something that could be the problem here.
What can I do to solve these problems? I am not looking to spend a ton of money here, I am done modding the sled for this year, so if getting a aftermarket clutch kit is the only solution, i'm probably gonna have to wait till next season. I'm kinda looking for other small tweeks that could be done to the stock setup such as changing springs & whatnot.

thanks is advance

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
What spring is in the Secondary and what degree are you running it at? Also are your clutches cool to the touch or is one hotter then the other. Next thing is you won't be able to clutch it to run at both 1000' and at 10000'

For the 10000' Id run either Yellow/pink/yellow or Orange/pink/orange in the primary. This will lower your engagement. the yellow is close to same finish as the one you have now the Orange has a little more. As far as the secondary spring id twist the Degree more if possible or get a stiffer secondary spring. I run an Arctic Yellow Secondary spring cause its stiffer then the yamaha. Run it at 30degrees and love it. BUT this is on a Nytro.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
When you say the o/p/o has more finish what do you mean?...Do you mean higher operating rpm or???? What should these 2 springs lower my engagement rpm to?

I'm not sure what I have in the secondary...my bad...I'll have to check that out tomarrow

Premium Features