• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Replacing stator in '02 Mountain Max 700???

Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
Finally figured out the stator is out on my moms '02 MM700, the dealer wants to charge $600 for install and parts. Replacing the stator is about the only thing I haven't done to these sleds and I just need to know if there is anything to look for or be careful of and if any special tools are needed. Any advice would be helpful...

Thanks,
Chris

changing the stator is fairly simple, but can be time consuming depending on the stubborness of the mounting bolts. you will need a heavy duty puller, like a harmonic balancer or steering wheel puller kit, with some metric bolts to remove the magneto, sometimes referred to as the flywheel. also required is an impact screwdriver with a #3 phillips bit. thats the worst part, removing the 3 bolts that actually hold the stator on. they have loctite from the factory and can be a pain to get out, and want to strip easily. if you have a small torch with a controllable flame, the bolts can be heated slightly to help in removal, but be careful if you have to go this route. other than that, remove recoil assembly, remove recoil ring gear from mag, remove mag(dont loose the keyway), remove stator bolts, remove stator, then reverse the procedure, loctiting and torquing your way back out.

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
I changed my with no problem. You must have an impact screwdriver... that was the hardest part. r

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
changing the stator is fairly simple, but can be time consuming depending on the stubborness of the mounting bolts. you will need a heavy duty puller, like a harmonic balancer or steering wheel puller kit, with some metric bolts to remove the magneto, sometimes referred to as the flywheel. also required is an impact screwdriver with a #3 phillips bit. thats the worst part, removing the 3 bolts that actually hold the stator on. they have loctite from the factory and can be a pain to get out, and want to strip easily. if you have a small torch with a controllable flame, the bolts can be heated slightly to help in removal, but be careful if you have to go this route. other than that, remove recoil assembly, remove recoil ring gear from mag, remove mag(dont loose the keyway), remove stator bolts, remove stator, then reverse the procedure, loctiting and torquing your way back out.

This covers it all. Great job SnowDad4

Premium Features