• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost Leak Test?

X

XP8

Dec 10, 2007
I built a boost leak tester today that clamps to the intake for my mcx nytro. I then plugged the exhaust and attempted to pressurize the system. I got no reading what so ever on my boost gauge, is this normal? It sounded like air was escaping from around the turbo somewhere but I couldn't feel any air. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

H
Feb 10, 2008
Butte, MT
tip

watch your boost gauge as you turn the primary clutch dont go to much over over 20lbs you probly just have a valve open i clamp the hose from the valve cover as well just build a tester that clamps to the intake of the turbo more complete test imo.

X

XP8

Dec 10, 2007
good to know, plugging a tunnel dump exhaust is not fun

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Explain?

Been reading/following this post. Not to Hi-jack but can someone explain what how this works. I asked a buddy and he figures the air will seep past the valves or through the rings. He suggested plugging the intercooler off to pressure test the system and search for leaks, however that is tricky and hard to do on a Nytro. Any guidance/explanation is VERY MUCH appreciated!! Thanks Guys Sean

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
If you turn the engine until the valves seal, then you should get a good reading on your boost gauge, unless you have boost leaks. When you tried plugging your exhaust and heard a bunch of air, it very well could have been cracked welds where the 3 into 1 collector is located on the header. Make sure you check for the cracked header because it will kill your low end performance.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I always cap the exhaust and put a cap on the turbo inlet with a air valve/tire valve stem in the cap. Just get pvc pipe and plumbing couplers from lowes or home depo to make up your own.
Make sure to watch the boost gauge so you don't put too much pressure to it. I try not to put more then 5psi to it then I plan on runing. You will be surprised at where you find leaks some times. bov, or waste gate not seating correctly, couplers not seating or sealing correctly, boost controllers or boost control solenoids not installed correctly, etc. It can definatly help some times if you have a decent sized leak. a decent leak will overspool the turbo increasing intake temps as the turbo tries to get to the set boost level. If you have a decent leak it may take a friend holding the air hose to the valve stem while you try to find the leak by feel or spraying it down with soap and bubbles.

X

XP8

Dec 10, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. The initial air was leaking out of the valves but after turning the primary that stopped. I did however find a fairly major leak in the middle boot between the intercooler and the throttle bodies.

Premium Features