• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

life flight at trailshead

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hello:

A sledder tangled with an "H" gate support about 3 miles north of the intersection of 3 and 3B on 3. Rider supposedly suffered a compound fracture of his arm and was initially bleeding quite seriously. Spearfish search and rescue transported the victim to Trailshead and Life Flight from there to RC I would assume. I hear from some reliable sources that the rider was doing pretty well and will make a recovery but has a banged up arm and I would assume some other bumps and bruises.

Please be careful out there. Also when you are at Trailshead and other stops drop a couple bucks in the Spearfish Search and Rescue donation box. Those guys are a ways away but our only emergency response crew up here that has sleds and the equipment to do transport on the trails. They do a very good job and who knows, one of us may be next. They operate largely on donations and volunteers. Lets support them the best we can.

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
wonder how long it took spearfish search and rescue to get there. last year had a guy break his leg with us and it took at least 2 hours to get there, and we were parked on tinton road, then only one of there sleds would run. lil disapointing when you got someone going into shock and there femur is broken.

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
wonder how long it took spearfish search and rescue to get there. last year had a guy break his leg with us and it took at least 2 hours to get there, and we were parked on tinton road, then only one of there sleds would run. lil disapointing when you got someone going into shock and there femur is broken.

Well diggler when riding the hills you should be aware that there is no emergency help around this area within a 30 mile range so one should be prepared when going out with first aid essentials. I am from newcastle, wy and used to be an emt on the local ambulance, it would take us at least 45min to an hour from time page went out to time we arrived at trailshead. Then we would have to unload sled and rescue cart and head in could easily be 2 hours by the time we reach patient. I am sure it would be a bit longer from spearfish as they have to go through canyon and with bad roads who knows. The point is rescue personel will arrive as soon as possible and give the best care to the patient as they can.. So please don't be dogging on the local search and rescue they do there job and do it very well in my opinion.

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
Well diggler when riding the hills you should be aware that there is no emergency help around this area within a 30 mile range so one should be prepared when going out with first aid essentials. I am from newcastle, wy and used to be an emt on the local ambulance, it would take us at least 45min to an hour from time page went out to time we arrived at trailshead. Then we would have to unload sled and rescue cart and head in could easily be 2 hours by the time we reach patient. I am sure it would be a bit longer from spearfish as they have to go through canyon and with bad roads who knows. The point is rescue personel will arrive as soon as possible and give the best care to the patient as they can.. So please don't be dogging on the local search and rescue they do there job and do it very well in my opinion.

couldnt agree more finding a person in the hills could easily be like finding a needle in a haystack. no different than riding in a ditch 20 miles from a ghost town could take over 2 hours there also. Its part of the sport you just gotta live with it.

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
im not dogging them at all. its just that it took 2+ hrs and we were maybe 12-13 miles out of spearfish. not anywhere near trailshead.

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
Last year when i broke my leg i was on a road a mile from my house but the ambulance took about 45 min to get to me just because. The town that they come out of is 20 miles away, when we ride the flats we know it may take a while to get to us if were hurt, just like in the mountains. The kid that got killed this year was out in the middle of the field and the people trying to get to him got a few vehicles stuck trying to get help to him, It isnt always as easy to get help to us when were hurt on the flats or in the mountains. We all should help out and suport our local ambulance crew or serch and rescue. They may be the only thing between life and death sometime.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Help the local rescue

I know when someone you know is hurt an hour seems like forever. I support the local rescue people and trail maintenance donation jars. I hope I never need them.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com

That guy wasn't riding a red Yamaha by chance was he? We came across a sled/tree accident after the rider had been transported, sled was mangled.

102_0393.jpg

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
jsledder,

That Phazer belongs to one of my friend's dad. He was going down the trail, looked behind him to make sure his riding partners were behind him, not sure what happened after that but he smacked a tree and didn't jump off the sled in time. Shattered his arm in 2 or 3 places. Me, diggler and jr_amsoil all know him but we don't ride with their group. Me and some other guys I was riding with(Mountain Max and a SRX) might have even talked to you as we were there for a while looking at the sled and BS'ing.

The accident we are referring to happened to an '05 or '06 M7 last year near Big Hill Lot.

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
That guy wasn't riding a red Yamaha by chance was he? We came across a sled/tree accident after the rider had been transported, sled was mangled.

102_0393.jpg

i wouldnt be surprised if i seen that sled back on the trail. them crazy sob's. i think paul (the guy on the phazer eats nails for breakfast). didnt he ride all the way back into town on the back of someones sled. hey ss20 i think we should go with them guys sometime. i bet it would be a complete riot. hey diggler isnt that your old helmet.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
We came up on it after the group had left to transport the guy to a hospital or ambulance. We sat around and gave the kids a quick reality check on what can happen if you get too complacent out there. A couple guys showed up while we were there, one was his son and he was pretty shook up about the deal, we helped them get the sled hooked up to tow and they went on their way.

I'd like to see GF&P put an EMT up there at the camp, especially on the weekends, but I suppose the trail cops are EMT certified and carry a small amount of first aid supplies??

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I used to be into racing on the trails, one day i almost missed a corner and thaught to myself I have more fun playing on the hills trying to pick my way then I ever did seeing how fast I could get from buckhorn to trailshead. So I bought a long track and started mountain riding as well.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
We came up on it after the group had left to transport the guy to a hospital or ambulance. We sat around and gave the kids a quick reality check on what can happen if you get too complacent out there. A couple guys showed up while we were there, one was his son and he was pretty shook up about the deal, we helped them get the sled hooked up to tow and they went on their way.

Ya his son was pretty shook up about it, I remember that. My brother's sled was broke down that day so he gave the victim's wife a ride to Rec Springs so she could meet up with her husband.

Premium Features