• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best place to ride in the UP

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
D
Dec 8, 2008
I am from central MN and have been riding in the UP for about 10 years now. Absolutley love it up there, and am considering moving there some day. Anyways, where is your favorite place to ride up there. I am kinda partial to the Houghton, twin lakes, Copper Harbor, and Silver City areas, but after a few thousand miles in the region I am considering going somewhere else next year. I have heard that Marquette is nice. I like any kind of riding, groomed or boondocking.

Z

ZRman31

Sep 8, 2008
Negaunee, Mi
Marquette is snowmobile friendly. I have no idea what you are talking about. Twin lakes is by far my favorite spot in the UP. The keweenaw is a great spot too play also. Marquette has good snow, as well and good climbing. Munising is a great little town, but as far as boondocking, i just haven't been able to find it. Sure they have lots of snow, but the land is fairly flat.

Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
Marquette is snowmobile friendly. I have no idea what you are talking about. Twin lakes is by far my favorite spot in the UP. The keweenaw is a great spot too play also. Marquette has good snow, as well and good climbing. Munising is a great little town, but as far as boondocking, i just haven't been able to find it. Sure they have lots of snow, but the land is fairly flat.

Not trying to start a squabble, but Marquette is by no means snowmobile friendly, and by that I mean access to amenities is terrible. Name me 1 hotel/motel other than the Holiday Inn that you can access from the trail? You can't ride in town, gas is almost impossible to find anywhere near a trail, in fact the only place that I have seen sleds getting gas in the past few years was across from the Holiday Inn (across 4 lanes of traffic and a center median). The people that live along the lakeshore on Lakewood Lane would rather see all of us perish in flames than have that trail in their backyard. I lived in MQT for 20 yrs...I know all of this to be true.

That being said, the businesses in MQT would LOVE to see more snowmobilers. We would however have to trailer our sleds everywhere if we stayed there. My .02.

S
Jun 17, 2008
Gilbert, MN
Not trying to start a squabble, but Marquette is by no means snowmobile friendly, and by that I mean access to amenities is terrible. Name me 1 hotel/motel other than the Holiday Inn that you can access from the trail? You can't ride in town, gas is almost impossible to find anywhere near a trail, in fact the only place that I have seen sleds getting gas in the past few years was across from the Holiday Inn (across 4 lanes of traffic and a center median). The people that live along the lakeshore on Lakewood Lane would rather see all of us perish in flames than have that trail in their backyard. I lived in MQT for 20 yrs...I know all of this to be true.

That being said, the businesses in MQT would LOVE to see more snowmobilers. We would however have to trailer our sleds everywhere if we stayed there. My .02.

Well said, if you are going to stay in Marquette you are almost guaranteed to have to trailer outside of town to hit the trail. Its the last thing you want to do after a long day of riding is to load up your sleds in the dark and drive back to your hotel just to do it all over again in the morning. Look at towns like Munising where the trail goes right through town past all the hotels. Everyone of them is packed with trailers all winter long. Convience is what keeps people coming back year after year.

Premium Features