• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile trip with girlfriend

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Pick an area with a good groomed trail system. I know in Colorado we have several places with groomed trails that are right next to some gnarly play areas. This way if she is burned out or intimidated by the terrain, you can play while she is still riding the trails.

I have lots of recommendations in Colorado but I think that goes against your rule of keeping it closer to MN.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I would probably do Togwotee, really good trail system, they groom often, and are marked well. She will enjoy the views and you should be able to find some safe off trail stuff. Togwotee lodge is a cool place and you guys could go to jackson for an evening or even a day.

The snowies are rocky and the weather sucks more often than most places, I wouldnt be too excited about bringing my girlfriend there I know that.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I would probably do Togwotee, really good trail system, they groom often, and are marked well. She will enjoy the views and you should be able to find some safe off trail stuff. Togwotee lodge is a cool place and you guys could go to jackson for an evening or even a day.

The snowies are rocky and the weather sucks more often than most places, I wouldnt be too excited about bringing my girlfriend there I know that.

What he said to a T...

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002

Ive made over 60 trips to the snowies, 2-3 days of riding each day. So lets just say around 150 days of riding, and I bet Ive only had 5-10 days of calm, blue bird type days.

Western Wyoming / Eastern Idaho is exactly the opposite. Ive also been lucky enough to ride around 120 days in that area, and Ive only had maybe 5-10 days of windy, bad visibility days.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
I wouldn’t do snowys if I were you. I know that place the best of everywhere I have been, and would be the last place I would go with a girlfriend. As stated above, the weather can be very unpredictable, and grooming can be sparse in early season. VERY rocky when the snow is low, and everywhere gets wind blown and tracked up in a hurry.

With that being said, I would seriously check out Steamboat area. You can stay in the town of steamboat, have a night life and give her something to do when you’re off on your own, can unload at Clark or Hahn’s Peak, or drive up to the Ears and ride up there. And only an hourish farther drive than the snowys.

Tog is nice area, but I like staying at Lava Mountain instead myself. Cheaper, and the riding is still good down there. Big Horns is one of my favorite places to ride, pretty wide open and trails are marked well, however they’ve been low on snow the past couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
We did something similar but it was 2 couples. My buddy and his wife and Me and my wife. We went to the Snowies. The weather was perfect for what we were trying to do. Sunny, Calm and a little fresh snow. My wife rode the entire trip (3 days) and loved it. She would go back in a heartbeat. My buddies wife said F-YOU to the riding after the first day. I never realized how terrifying it can be to someone who's never really ridden a snowmobile to get stuck.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Pick an area with a good groomed trail system. I know in Colorado we have several places with groomed trails that are right next to some gnarly play areas. This way if she is burned out or intimidated by the terrain, you can play while she is still riding the trails.

I have lots of recommendations in Colorado but I think that goes against your rule of keeping it closer to MN.

not to hijack, but I would be very interested in your recommendations in Colorado since I just moved to grand junction... feel free to pm if you don't wanna clog up this thread.

@OP Bighorns are very easy to get around and quite wide open, but like others have said their snow levels haven't been too great lately and if you hit the north side(where snow is usually deeper) you gotta book like 3 months early to get a weekend stay at any of the 3 that are actually on the mountain. Sounds like you are fairly certain of where you are going, but if the snow drops on the horns during your time frame you'd have a blast out there too.

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
I would go to West Yellowstone lots more to do there at night then Island Park and during that time frame there will limited traffic if any

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
We are kinda in the same boat as you. It's no fun driving all that way just to find out it sucks. As others have said, West Yellowstone/IP. There is a lot to do in West. I think the Bighorns would fit your lady friend as far as riding and it is closer, but it doesn't have the variety of West, and like anywhere else, it all comes down to snow.
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p558253vb

http://bearlodgeresort.com/

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
So I am planning a 4 day snowmobile trip with my girlfriend. I will be riding my axys and she will be on my buddies spare sled a 2011 M8. We are in our 20s. She has never been to the mountains. She grew up snowmobiling and riding dirtbikes when she was younger. Last several years she has really only rode MN trails one trip a year. Also she is 5'1" and 100lbs so I think boondocking is going to be challenging to say the least. And I would have her ride my axys but I recently turboed it so thats out of the question. But it will be a good chance just me and her to get my clutching and stuff dialed in as it will possibly be my first or 2nd ride on my silber

She has a 2 week break from nursing school so we can only go around December 16-20th. I am most familar with the Snowy Range, Cooke City. I have been to Island park. Being it is just her and I, I am thinking it may be best to go somewhere I know well unless someone else has a good suggestion of somewhere easy to get around. I would like to have somewhere with a trail system like the snowies and plenty of open places to get her comfortable. But I would also like plenty of places for me to play that are near trail or easy to get to. Keep in mind its only the 2 of us and I am confident in my avalanche skills rescuing her but would say she would only have a 1% chance of rescuing me, which means I need to stay out of avalanche terrain 100%. If anyone has any recommendations, tips for her that would be great.

Also thinking staying in Laramie might be good cause then we can go out to eat plenty of places or go to the movies or something if this whole mountain riding isn't her cup of tea.

Tog has got to be the best place that I have ever been to have newbies along. There is decent places to play, but it has GOT to be the safest terrain! I can only think of one place that someone could really get into a jackpot enough to get hurt. Most all of the hills are rounded all around.

Plus trails through the valleys, and you Shirley wouldn't be alone I wouldn't think.

So I am planning a 4 day snowmobile trip with my girlfriend. I will be riding my axys and she will be on my buddies spare sled a 2011 M8. We are in our 20s. She has never been to the mountains. She grew up snowmobiling and riding dirtbikes when she was younger. Last several years she has really only rode MN trails one trip a year. Also she is 5'1" and 100lbs so I think boondocking is going to be challenging to say the least. And I would have her ride my axys but I recently turboed it so thats out of the question. But it will be a good chance just me and her to get my clutching and stuff dialed in as it will possibly be my first or 2nd ride on my silber

She has a 2 week break from nursing school so we can only go around December 16-20th. I am most familar with the Snowy Range, Cooke City. I have been to Island park. Being it is just her and I, I am thinking it may be best to go somewhere I know well unless someone else has a good suggestion of somewhere easy to get around. I would like to have somewhere with a trail system like the snowies and plenty of open places to get her comfortable. But I would also like plenty of places for me to play that are near trail or easy to get to. Keep in mind its only the 2 of us and I am confident in my avalanche skills rescuing her but would say she would only have a 1% chance of rescuing me, which means I need to stay out of avalanche terrain 100%. If anyone has any recommendations, tips for her that would be great.

Also thinking staying in Laramie might be good cause then we can go out to eat plenty of places or go to the movies or something if this whole mountain riding isn't her cup of tea.

Hey,
You can plan for snowmobiling in Colorado . Grand Advetnures is right place to get in touch with. To know more about Grand adventures kindly visit the website.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Laramie is a good place to stay. Plenty of meadows and play areas right off the trail. The ride up to Greenrock and back in the truck is nice and relaxing and still plenty of places to go at night in laramie.

Premium Features