• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile trip with girlfriend

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
So I am planning a 4 day snowmobile trip with my girlfriend. I will be riding my axys and she will be on my buddies spare sled a 2011 M8. We are in our 20s. She has never been to the mountains. She grew up snowmobiling and riding dirtbikes when she was younger. Last several years she has really only rode MN trails one trip a year. Also she is 5'1" and 100lbs so I think boondocking is going to be challenging to say the least. And I would have her ride my axys but I recently turboed it so thats out of the question. But it will be a good chance just me and her to get my clutching and stuff dialed in as it will possibly be my first or 2nd ride on my silber

She has a 2 week break from nursing school so we can only go around December 16-20th. I am most familar with the Snowy Range, Cooke City. I have been to Island park. Being it is just her and I, I am thinking it may be best to go somewhere I know well unless someone else has a good suggestion of somewhere easy to get around. I would like to have somewhere with a trail system like the snowies and plenty of open places to get her comfortable. But I would also like plenty of places for me to play that are near trail or easy to get to. Keep in mind its only the 2 of us and I am confident in my avalanche skills rescuing her but would say she would only have a 1% chance of rescuing me, which means I need to stay out of avalanche terrain 100%. If anyone has any recommendations, tips for her that would be great.

Also thinking staying in Laramie might be good cause then we can go out to eat plenty of places or go to the movies or something if this whole mountain riding isn't her cup of tea.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
If you want to venture to a place you haven't gone I ride Bear Lake area in SE Idaho/NE Utah. Pretty good trail system with plenty of open meadow riding for her, if she chooses to get off trail but still not difficult, bordered by terrain it sounds like you prefer. Just a thought. PM me if you are interested in more details.

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Island park is a great place. If you are wanting your girlfriend to go with you again, I would like to make a suggestion, You may look at something like Dan Adams clinic, sign her up, Alpine Wy is also great place to go.

The group I ride with did this 2 years ago, and it was worth it.

They "Dan Adams" group was fantastic for our wive's/girlfriends.

Last edited:

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
As far as Island Park goes I have ridden there 4 days. We stayed at a cabin and everything was fully back Country with no trails. I think we rode the spot between Island Park Reservoir and Henry Lake. Me and my one buddy got lost when a surpised whiteout happened and ended up running into his co workers from arctic cat who led us to their facility which we took some trail system back to our cabin 10 or so miles away. They do have a beautiful trail system I must say although I hate trails, but would be good for her I suppose. Whatever makes her happy will help result in me being rewarded later :eyebrows:

D
Mar 13, 2014
I ride in the Uintah's range East of Salt Lake City UT. Where I go would work really well, you can ride logging rode's all over but still hit lines through the trees all day long. This is where I take people that don't have the experience to ride int he trees etc. If you want I would be happy to help, I can also tell you where to go in Island Park along with a bunch of members on here. Cool thing about the area I ride is you can spend time in Park City or even stay at Daniel Summit etc...

https://www.danielssummit.com/

Last edited:

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I probably should have made it more clear. Since we are coming from central MN I would like to make the drive is short as possible. I would say Island Park and Tog would be the farthest I want to go (about 15-16 hours with good roads). Snowies and cooke about 14 with good roads and big horns 12 but never been there. I think I have it between the snowies as thats where I started my mountain riding and Island Park. I have a room booked in Laramie which I can cancel anytime. So if anyone can set me up with some good info on Island Park that would be awesome. Found some really nice cabins on VRBO but by the time you add in their $100 cleaning fee, $70 service charge, etc it gets kind of spendy.

I would love to be set up for both areas with free cancellation if possible as we all know the middle of December can be hit or miss on these areas and I would like to go wherever the better snow is. Last year Dec 4th on about 55 inches of snow my buddy and I skipped about 100 rocks and wreck a snowbike ski, spindle and track.

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
snow conditions

I would wait and see what the snow conditions are in the different areas. Middle December can be great or it can be pretty sparse. Check the different areas and make sure the the groomers are actually running etc before you make up your mind. That early you should be able to get lodging just about anywhere, unless the snow gets really good real early
Island park can be really good early or not so much.
Sounds like fun no matter what

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Snowies.... Good trail system, well marked, large area, Lots of places to stay and things to do in Laramie.

But....LOTS of sledders these days and Dec is crazy busy anymore, Trails get BEAT fast, Wind/visibility can be a big problem (libby flats), the 70 mile round trip drive from/to Laramie every day.

Togwotee might be a good fit. Good trail system, good mix of terrain, easy to stay out of avy danger. Less people then the snowies so the trails stay smother.

You could stay at the lodge, no driving each day. They have the restaurant, bar, hot tub.... but thats your only options after a day of riding. You could drive down into Jackson for a night (45 miles) and check out the town square.

West Yellowstone and Island Park are also great options.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Island Park / West Yellowstone area.

Plenty of places to ride, plenty of places to stay and places that offer some night life, to include restaurants and bars.

They have a great trail system that gets you all over the place. Plus it offers areas that novice riders can access and have fun, while a more experienced rider can have fun too.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
The one suggestion I would make is to put her on the Axys and you ride the M8.

She won't be happy if she is stuck all day long and you won't be happy if you are always digging her out from trying to keep up.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I would suggest the Snowies/Laramie. If the weather is snowy or windy, you can ride from Albany. If nice, ride from Greenrock.

Most new riders just want to ride trails, get into some meadows and climb some easy hills which will not cause bodily or machine damage if they dont make it.
Seeing some scenery is also good. Might be nice to take her to a nice lunch place to warm up if needed before the afternoon ride.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
West Yellowstone has what you are looking for, ride from lodging,
Good scenery, great mix of riding for multiple skill levels.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I would go with where you are most familiar. I agree with Snowies. Unload at Albany the first day. Lots of good trails. if you catch a decent weather day after she has a little experience take her over the gap and down the roller coaster. A ton of that back side country is trail running through big parks.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
The one suggestion I would make is to put her on the Axys and you ride the M8.

She won't be happy if she is stuck all day long and you won't be happy if you are always digging her out from trying to keep up.

So to be clear, you would put a 100lb girl on a turbo axys.....
With her riding only older sleds I feel she would be more use to the feel of the 11 m8. Even learning on my first pro was extremely tippy.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I appreciate the advice. After talking to her it is becoming clear that I need to have a lot more realistic expectations. I envisioned my normal 8-5 days in the mountains. Turns out she is thinking more of a 3-4 hour ride each day. Also there is a possibility she will just want to stay at the hotel and do absolutely nothing one day and I have permission to go ride without her. I am thinking since I know the snowies good that is my #1 pick pending snow conditions. So I may need to find someone on here to ride with one of the days and I knew a few of you are out of laramie. never been near albany, always go to green rock. So good tip on that.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
So to be clear, you would put a 100lb girl on a turbo axys.....
With her riding only older sleds I feel she would be more use to the feel of the 11 m8. Even learning on my first pro was extremely tippy.

You said you had an Axys and she would be riding an M8. I missed the turboed part.
I would put her on the best sled you have and make sure she has a good time.
Let her try that turbo. She might surprise the hell out of you.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I appreciate the advice. After talking to her it is becoming clear that I need to have a lot more realistic expectations. I envisioned my normal 8-5 days in the mountains. Turns out she is thinking more of a 3-4 hour ride each day. Also there is a possibility she will just want to stay at the hotel and do absolutely nothing one day and I have permission to go ride without her. I am thinking since I know the snowies good that is my #1 pick pending snow conditions. So I may need to find someone on here to ride with one of the days and I knew a few of you are out of laramie. never been near albany, always go to green rock. So good tip on that.
If you do make it out steamboat way ill gladly show you around and ride with you.

Premium Features