• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch alignment with a marker?

W
Nov 27, 2007
I just came across this old thread. It describes how to align clutch offset using a marker. How accurate is this method? Can you use this method to adjust parallelism also? If so, which way would you twist the motor according to the line measurements. Fascinating! :beer;:confused:

"Go to the bottom of your favorite climb and turn off your sled. Use a black pen to put six marks on your primary - 3 on each side of the sheeve right across from each other in line with the weights (4 if you have an 07 1000) - from the center out to the edge in a straight line. Hit the hill at WOT and then come back to the bottom and measure them - make sure you don't come down faster than you went up, or it will wipe too far up the clutch. Also, try and make sure you aren't catching air as it will also wipe too far out. If one side is longer than the other, move the clutch in the appropriate direction (i got money on it needing to go in more!). Do it again until you get it right and even. Mine are perfect at about 48mph in a climb and i've not blown a belt in two years. If you know your approximate track speed in a climb you could just cruise the trail and do the same thing as it will be more consistant than most climbs will be. Move the clutch AWAY from the shorter mark. IE - if the belt has wiped higher on the outside sheeve of the primary, move the secondary in".

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I suppose that is one way to do it. I can see it maybe being tough to get a good definate read on where the marks have been rubbed off. ??

A
Nov 27, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
I agree with brew as it being hard to read the markings. I have used this trick before but it was to see if i was getting my full range of shifting. Not alignment. Maybe a good starting point but nothing i would count on.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
SEEMS LIKe that isn't real accurate.... if your belt is really grabby it's going to stick in the middle anyways and not tell you anything...

Premium Features