• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1980 Yamaha Enticer 250D oil injection question

D
Jan 1, 2009
Hey guys, looking for some help. Picked up the above sled for my son a few days ago and its running great - I did notice however that its not burning the blue exhaust like I remember as a kid...I did fill it with high octance gas and AMsoil 2 Stroke oil in the oil reservoir ...when I looked in the gas tank the gas is green....I guess this question may be a factor of my lack of understanding the oil injection on these older sleds...but should the gas in the tank look like its been mixed? Thanks!

S

Snow Flake

There is no way for the oil from the oil injection to get into the gas tank. If there was gas in it when you bought it the previous owner may have put mixed gas in the tank. It would probably take a few fill ups to dilute all the dye.

Those old Yamahaw oil injection systems are fairly bullit proof. I did have a injection cable break on my 82 Enticer when it was brand new. I just ran premix for that first weekend until the dealer could fix it.

To be sure you don't damage the engine incase there is a problem with the injection here's what I would do. mark on the oil reservoir where the oil level is with a magical marker. Mix a tank full of premix fuel and run that through. Then check to see that the oil level in the oil reservoir is dropping like it should.

The extra oil won't hurt a thing, just make it smoke a little.

D
Jan 1, 2009
Thanks....I did check that oil level a few times and it was not going down hardly at all with that first tank. I think I will do what you suggest and run a full tank through with a mix and see where that oil level goes to on a full tank. The filter may be plugged too?

D
Jan 1, 2009
I pulled the strainer off quickly and it appears the oil reservoir is not plugged or blocked....the strainer is clear too....I'll see if i can get out today and mix a bit into the tank then watch the oil level...will report back... :rolleyes:

S

Snow Flake

The oil tank level goes down pretty slowly. If you can, fill the oil revervoir back up from a container with ounces marked on it to the mark you made so you know how much oil it used. Burning 5 gallons of gas it should use between 6 and 12 ounces, educated guess.

B
Nov 28, 2007
It is possible that the previous owner had run it out of oil once upon a time and if so the pump needs to be bled of air before it will work again. There shoud be a phillips head screw with a gasket on top of the pump that needs to be removed and let the oil run until there are no air bubbles preseent in the stream.

D
Jan 1, 2009
I'll check that when I do the mix too...was planning on doing that tomorrow.....I also may have added air myself when I disconnected the line to see if it was plugged... :)

Shouldn't take long to run through a tank of gas....lotsa snow!

Last edited:
I
Dec 10, 2008
go to vickery motorsport's web site, click on the OEM parts and you'll find your parts list. Here's what the oil pump looks like...should be under the carbs, on the case.

0006.Gif

B
Nov 28, 2007
To locate the pump, simply locate the oil resivour and there should be a line coming out the bottom to feed the oil pump. Follow the line and you will locate the oil pump.

D
Jan 1, 2009
Well, ran a good 3/4 of a tank through and the oil level is going down....and yes, slowly. There was a bit more smoke this time around, but didn't run any different. Thanks for the help! One thing I did notice, the engine wasn't as 'jingly' when idling....not sure how else to describe it. Maybe the mix isn't a bad thing? I think I'll run straight gas again next tank and see if its just in my head.

I did order a new external ignition coil because it looks like the one in there is being held together with electrical tape!! Only $29.00, so its better to be safe than sorry. Lotsa fun for the boy.

Thanks again. :beer;

P1040119.jpg

The extra oil won't hurt a thing, just make it smoke a little.

when i had my old TNT my dad mixed some gas for me according to our friend dave who used to ice race sleds back in the day. ( a quart: 5 galls of gas) but he forgot to tell my dad he was using a racing SRX motor running 130+ octane aviation fuel and rejetted every 100 feet for optimal performance lol

needless to say i did the math and it came out to about 19-20:1 and it smoked like a wore out diesel lol

i had an old 300 enticer and the clutch went out, then i sold it but it was a fun old sled, had alot of power for a 300

heres my buddy on his sons 250 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iISz1Lxjykc

Last edited:
D
Jan 1, 2009
I'm Back

Well, i pulled that piece of crap carburetor out. I threw in a 34mm mikuni carb. New question - should I now run this puppy at 40:1 pre-mix? I killed the oil injection.

thanks in advance.

Premium Features