• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Revelstoke Avalanche: >> It's time to honor the heros!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M

MR.CLUTCH

Mar 24, 2008
Revelstoke Avalanche

Well written Suzie! I completely agree.

My name is Paul Nadeau and I have been racing/riding a snowmobile since the early '70's. Oval,ice,grass,pavement,crosscountry and hillclimbs, all over B.C. to Jackson Hole, Wyoming to Valdez, Alaska. My forteen year old son has been riding since he was two.

This past week we were riding all over Revelstoke's backcountry and I would like to sincerely thank the "TSS family" for the wonderful backcountry tour they gave us. You guys are amazing!

We too were at Turbo Hill and the co-operation and determination between the people working together to rescue friends and family was incredible. These people are true heroes. They should not be ridiculed but honoured.

The majority of the riders had the proper equipment for backcountry riding; avalanche bags, beacons, probes, shovels, assorted first aid equipment and knowledge. Only because of this many people were rescued.

Why blame anyone for this accident? There already is enough hurt and anger. We need to educate more on backcountry snowmobiling, avalanches, safety equipment and it's use.

Everyone would not have been at Turbo Hill on Saturday if we knew that it was going to slide. It was an accident, we were all there because we wanted to be.

MY HEART AND FEELINGS TO EVERYONE INVOLVED.

#18 Paul Nadeau

Last edited:
Wow talk about hitting the nail on the head! You are so right on your article and the media is a bunch of back stabbing idiots that love to hype up the bad and never the good. The people who say we snowmobilers are rednecks are a bunch of couch potatoe sissys who can't handle the cold and would rather stay home and back talk others who are having a lifetime experiance. I not only ride snowmachines in the winter but motorcycles in the summer and is the same crap you hear in the media about the biker community. personally I think they are just jealous and people who live in fear. I do so agree that the survivors,deseased,rescue personell,families,and all who love our sport are heroes!!! We all need to stick together and fight for our rights and from what I see here at snow west and other forums that will happen. Thanks for your article it is the truth and is honest and the common sense thing I have read for a very long time! To the families who lost loved ones on the hill that day you have my sympathy and my prayers! Thunder

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Immense GRATITUDE from me to YOU!

I just want to thank everyone for their support and for sending my commentary to others. I had no idea that when I decided to do this that the responses would be so overwhelming.

As I've written previously (although I cannot remember WHERE I wrote it!) I simply sat down with my heart - which was breaking and with great anger and wrote down what I was feeling. I wrote without stopping really, I'd been reading forums and news stories for two days, I knew what I wanted/needed to say. What I published was primarily unedited from it's original content. (Funny how no one that "proofed" the draft caught that I spelled heroes incorrectly!)

Then I took a deep breath and began posting it online. I think after that, I shut down my laptop and went to bed. I was emotionally spent!

I began getting positive feedback from snowmobilers from both countries, coast to coast, almost immediately. There were a dozen or so requests for the pdf version in my email the next morning. I've since lost count of how many pdf versions I've emailed. Requests to add people as FB friends were coming in every couple of hours or so. I got to the point that if we had a few mutual friends that were from my sledding "community", I would just accept them.

Because each of you have been key to ensuring that this message is distributed, I want to share some of the comments I've received.

"I take my hat of to you. Tears were flowing."

"Great work. Brought tears to my eyes."

"we are all thankful for your message"

"Thank you for putting into words what so many of us are thinking."

"Your words echo the thoughts and feelings of all of us."

"you have put down on paper exactly how if feel and what I believe"

"I just wanted to say you rock"

"you nailed it with this article."

"Amen! Well said."

My biggest concern was how the people who were there that day...the survivors...would respond to my words. And when they started to respond - well they were the most meaningful thanks I could have ever received!

"Thank-you for your understanding, please know how much your words mean to us."

"you've touched my heart in a troubled time."

"I’d like to thank you for writing that very good article."

"thank you for posting those words,because it is very truthful and real."

And of course, there has been some negativity, but out of the 100s of responses they have been limited to TWO. Yes, I said.....I've only received TWO negative responses. WOW!! I am not going to give them any further acknowledgment than that. :tape:

The window to have the major media pick up this story I think has probably passed. BUT - I know that it's going to be published by clubs, associations and some magazines in the coming weeks.

I have noticed that some of the mainstream media in CN have begun to soften there stories a bit. I sit with held breath to see what legislative and/or liability rulings this will have for the future of sledding in BC.

It is my hope that, in both countries, we are forever able to exercise free will when it comes to our personal recreation, safety and risk choices. The backcountry needs to remain free from liability suits. IMO.

Anyway - thanks again for stepping up to the plate!! Turns out that I was the voice (who knew!), but you all were the inspiration and the "choir" (so to speak).

Oh - and this level of individual advocacy for snowmobiling needs to continue. Assuming that someone else is protecting your right to ride is a fallacy. It's going to take everyones INVOLVEMENT!! A few individuals cannot do it alone. (that's me wearing my SAWS hat) :face-icon-small-ton

N
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks to all fellow riders at Revy

Just want to thank each and every rider at the avalanche at Turbo. I was buried and it seemed like it only took a few minutes before someone was there to help get an airway cleared so I could breath. After waiting for them to get someone else out that need help far worse than I did, they returned and freed me, I had a machine laying on back and legs. Luckily I only had some briuses on my legs. My prayers go out to the families that lost their husbands and fathers. Thanks again for the fast response. James Bond

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Wow Terrace is long way from Revy. It is awesome that you are reaching far and wide. Lets keep this going. Nice pics that they posted too. Great snowmobiling community there and all around that area.

DanB

Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Well-worded rebuttals Susie.

I'd like to point out that there is a rating system right above the original letter with 1 being the worst possible. I think we all need to "get clicking" ......

R
Jul 16, 2008
very very very well put! now if only some ignorant people would think of what you just wrote then the media wouldnt blow this way out of proportion

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Well-worded rebuttals Susie.

I'd like to point out that there is a rating system right above the original letter with 1 being the worst possible. I think we all need to "get clicking" ......

I discovered the rating system too! :face-icon-small-sho :face-icon-small-ton

Latest printing of article The Revelstoke Current. Some comments there as well. I rebutted the first 3. :)

Last edited:
B
You are an inspiration

Susie, I would just like to say thank you for inspiring me. I've only been sledding for about 6 years now, and I love it. Living in Fort St. James, my groups regular riding areas are generally quite safe and I have only found myself even close to the extreme avalanche conditions like those in the Kootneys a handfull of times. None of us are really big on "high marking" and mostly we like jumps, carving deep powder and boondocking. Because we don't have beacons, probes or training, we stay out of high risk areas. For those reasons I have never seen the need to take any avalanche training or buy any avy equipment.
That being said, a number of years ago I had the misfortune of coming across a friend's motorcycle accident. He was pretty messed up and even though he did not make it, I was glad there were people there that knew what to do and gave my friend a fighting chance. I did not know what to do and I decided after that day, that I never wanted to be in that situation again and not know what to do. I took my Level 3 first aid and have been ticketed ever since.
After reading your post, I started to follow some of the news stories and blogs about the tragedy in Revelstoke last weekend. I have to say some people are just plain ingnorant and have no understanding, but that is not why I am writing. One thing I have learned in life that without a doubt applies to sledding, is to expect the unexpected and be prepared for it.
So now, all that said, before next season starts I am going to take an avy course and pick up my beacon, probe and shovel. This is all due to you writing your post. If ever it comes to pass that I have to use that training to save someone or my equipment saves me, it will be thanks to you. I hope I am not the only one that you have inspired, because this is what we all need to take away from this incident. It is the only way we are going to prevent more needless deaths and injuries.

Thanks you Susie Q.

Collin Ramsey, Fort St. James, B.C.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I'm trying to keep track of where this is popping up. Tonight, I came across this reference. It contains a link to this forum, but I cannot find that my commentary has been published (which is FINE!).....I think Mr. Briggs did a GREAT job with his own rebuttal. :)

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/letters/88735902.html

In anticipation (and hopes) that the letter written by Carry White currently in the Golden Star is met with many more educated and relevant opinions, I thought that this link, http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212009, could assist with understanding an insider's perspective to the sport of sledding, the back country in general, and the accident which occurred.

The unfortunate repercussions of this accident (aside from the two deaths, multiple injuries, and monetary cost of the rescue efforts) is that the two most relevant opinions on the matter, that of the back country users that were in the accident and that of the search and rescue members who attended the scene, will take much longer to be heard by the masses because these people will actually put some thought and sensitivity into the matter. The media, on the other hand, is very quick to paint an assumption based, one sided, dark, and blame ridden picture of the event and the accident and is conveniently in the position to reach the masses with their from the hip style of reporting. Unfortunately for the future of the sport of sledding and our back country access in general this is the image and portrayal of the accident first heard and accepted by the general population. Reports and opinions laden with no real facts and fanciful claims, example: "largest avalanche officials have ever seen". Where did you get this information? Did you attempt to verify this before printing it?

In general the reporting of this accident has been opposite the attached letter from Susie Rainsberry, a very well written insider's perspective with no real means of broadcasting to the general population. Hosting the letter on online sledding forums targets like minded persons, not the masses. Please print this letter, it is such a valuable view for the majority of people, like yourself, who are not back country users, sledders, or maybe in general even risk takers.

When you mention that "the event is known to have a party atmosphere" is it just me or does this read as if you are trying to present that in a bad light? Have you ever been to a sporting event? Did you partake in any Olympic celebration? Why do you feel a sledding event should differ, or is this again just a glimpse into your unknowingness about the topic of which you are writing?

There are many very professional and intelligent people from Golden that were involved with the accident; perhaps they too will offer some insightful words or letters. In doing so, you may learn that the accident which occurred was not part of the Big Iron Shoot out event, that it happened outside of the area and schedule pertaining to the itinerary of the event. Further, that to ride on Boulder Mountain costs $20 regardless of the day of the week, event or not, that it was not the event organizers charging the admission fee but the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club who were collecting their standard $20 dollar trail maintenance fee plus an additional $5 site clean up fee for this event weekend.

It snowed the week before this event, I would not be the least bit shocked to learn that there were 200 riders at any of our local riding areas, much like Kicking Horse was probably lined up to the convenience store Saturday morning. Like skiers and snowboarders, sledders are snow seekers, and like Susie alludes to with much more elegance than I have the time to attempt, they seek this fresh snow and this thrill accepting the associated risks. As many locals would agree, they too accept the possibility of accident or even death when their husbands, wife's, children, parents, friends, loved ones etc. go sledding, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, hang gliding, rock climbing, kayaking etc. This list goes on and on. And why do these people accept this potential for the unthinkable? Because they can see that this significant person in their life is not complete without that activity. That for them to live a life without that activity and those risks is to not live at all. The average and mundane is not for everyone, especially in communities like Golden or Revelstoke. Activities like those mentioned above are why many of us live here, and why many of us can respectively associate with each other and console each other when a tragedy occurs.

The victims of the recent accident do not need you or other media outlets to point out that their families will suffer, all these families need, expect, and deserve is your condolences and support during this difficult time. Portraying the Big Iron Shootout or the sport of sledding in a negative light is not helping these families to grieve, in fact is probably making this process harder for them as they, like you, question why they died at all, or maybe even start to believe they died unnecessarily. It was an accident, and there is no changing that. Whether or not these people died unnecessarily is on us; an accident is only truly an accident if nothing is learned from it. This is not to say something similar will never happen again though, see above about a life worth living and accepting risks.

I wholeheartedly agree with you in one regard, I hope that from this accident comes further accident prevention through education, awareness, and training. Not restriction or regulation. Let's embrace and support the back country activities that make our country, province, and town worth living in. Let's hope that our government does not respond with a knee jerk reaction negatively impacting our way of life or our town's economy. Let's hope that Bill 30 and any new similar laws stay shelved away in the filing cabinets of the Parliament Buildings where they belong, and not here in our back yards.

Heartfelt condolences and respect to the families of the deceased and injured.

Sincerely,

Nathan Briggs

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Wow!! That is great!! :face-icon-small-coo

I'm liking this a LOT!! That was an extremely well put together rebuttal Mr. Nathan Briggs! :)

I hope Susie's article continues to be sent around.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Could you please post the link to that buster888? It would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks for linking to Susie and Nathan! :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features