• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Revelstoke Avalanche: >> It's time to honor the heros!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S
Jan 5, 2010
I don't think the Media is being Malicious, they are just ignorant is all.
Why not blast the side of the Mountain with a Howitzer like they do at Ski Resorts?

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Thanks all for your great comments I heartfelt agree with all and I'm forwarding Susies comments on to my state paper. Only thing she acts like it's bad to be a red neck , I relish in the fact that i am one. Thanks all

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! That is so awesome Susie.

Search and Rescue is very very valuable, but in a case like this, it is your partner, your friend, your buddy, and more impressive complete strangers who you rely on to save your life. These are the REAL HEROS. As humble as they may be, they are heros.

To everyone that was there, it was you! YOU made a difference, YOU saved so many lives. THANK YOU!

It is still very tragic that two men lost their lives. Their loss will effect hundreds. The fact remains though, that without the quick response of everyone there that could, many many more would have died. There were even those that got dug out and got up and started digging for others.

This is who we are. We go the extra mile.

G

Going Up

Oct 29, 2001
Spokane, WA
the media has been taking stories from quite a few people a twisting them around . every one in revelstoke that's involved with snowmobiling has been getting HARASSED by the media over the last few days . random 2 am phone calls from new stations looking for the latest new . A few people i know gave interviews to the media stating that this was an unfortunate incident , they cut and edited the interviews and totally turned them around into the story they wanted to hear .UNREAL ! . On Sunday morning i went into community center to report a few missing items. waiting at the doors for me was 4 reporters the just started belting out questions and asking for interviews . totally oblivious to the fact that i had just witnessed the worst thing in my life less than 24 hours ago . the media has been the a PITA during this entire ordeal . I wouldn't believe a thing in the papers , Ive seen numerous fabricated interviews and articles over the last few days . Oregongirl's statement is one of the best ive seen in the past few days and should be what the media is reporting ,but its true so they wouldnt go for that

Pylon - That is sickening but not surprising. I would suggest printing multiple copys of Susie's letter and just handing them out down there without saying a word.

Freakshow - Awesome to see the article made the parper in Edmonton.

B
And furthermore....

....Making offroad and backcountry enthusiasts pay for a license will not change how people conduct themselves or operate their sleds or ATVs out in the bush. Those who "choose" to be reckless and irresponsible will continue to do so. Those that are educated and properly equipt will only take risks within their limits and will be prepared when and if the unexpected happens.

Awsome job Susie

Last edited:
O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Friends

We are one big family that enjoy a sport that is world wide and when any one of our family members are hurt or killed we all grieve. All of us will ride again with maybe a extra look at the hillside or trail and hope that it will never happen again, but it will. Everyone will help again just like they did at Revy like a good family member would. Thanks for the great real life as it was story, Suzie.

Deer Park, WA.

O
Mar 17, 2010
Such a tragic shame.

What a waste of life and for all 200(or whatever) that rode right by the largest sign I have ever seen warning of the DANGER how dare you risk this sport and its access by thousands of decent people.
Olgeezer

Last edited:

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
What a waste of life and for all 200(or whatever) that rode right by the largest sign I have ever seen warning of the DANGER how dare you risk this sport and its access by thousands of decent people.
Olgeezer

This is not even worth a reply, but I cannot help myself. Please only ride on the trail and hope that an avi does not occur there.

But they do and they occur in the backcountry were many of us ride. The danger of avalanches in the backcountry is always considerable to high. Training is so important and remembering and knowing that it can happen to you. Do not rely on others to make the judgement call for you, you are responsible for you. If you are not comfortable, speak up, if your friends go anyway, don't go or go and find some spot that is the safest you possibly can.

Olgeezer, how dare you post something like this on this thread.

EDIT
Ok, now I get it. Olgeezer is not even a part of this community or someone who just wanted to ruin such an awesome thread. Dude, you make me sick. Go play with the liberals that do not know anything about the truth and real facts of life and believe Al Gore created the Internet and is the leader of the green world.

Ya, do not piss SnowXTC off.

Last edited:
M
May 19, 2009
cle elum WA
This is not even worth a reply, but I cannot help myself. Please only ride on the trail and hope that an avi does not occur there.

But they do and they occur in the backcountry were many of us ride. The danger of avalanches in the backcountry is always considerable to high. Training is so important and remembering and knowing that it can happen to you. Do not rely on others to make the judgement call for you, you are responsible for you. If you are not comfortable, speak up, if your friends go anyway, don't go or go and find some spot that is the safest you possibly can.

Olgeezer, how dare you post something like this on this thread.

EDIT
Ok, now I get it. Olgeezer is not even a part of this community or someone who just wanted to ruin such an awesome thread. Dude, you make me sick. Go play with the liberals that do not know anything about the truth and real facts of life and believe Al Gore created the Internet and is the leader of the green world.

Ya, do not piss SnowXTC off.

x2 well said

when a tragic event such as an avalanche happens why do people have to come out from under the rocks they live under and bash on the snowmobiling community?

Last edited:
D
Feb 26, 2010
Awesome write up. I believe you captured the feelings of every snowmobiler out there who has been watching the news reports and realizing the whole picture is not being shown!!
Again, sympothy for the ones who have lost a loved one and those who were injured physicaly and emoptionaly.

C
Jan 4, 2009
Gtown, Co.
Let's all stick together

This is by far the best read "EVER" on SnoWest. Not much can be added to the way you backed our sport up. Thanks Susie for the encouraging words in such a bad time.

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
i forwarded this letter to Cpl Dan Moskaluk of the BC RCMP (the officer who was on the news) and this was his response:

Yes I have seen this letter and see some valid points. I'm am hopeful that it has been noted that what the RCMP has reported on and the comments made have been impartial and have steered clear of labeling or generalizing.

We are investigating a serious incident where lives were lost. Of non investigational comments that we have been in a position to state are the following:

Given the small(er) group gathered. compared to what has been at this site in previous years (what has been heard a high percentage of enthusiast may very well have stayed home or out of Boulder due to the known high risk levels.

It is evident by the video that due to the fact that a large number of those present who chose to go did take precautions in minimizing the risk to themselves by being properly equipped.Probes Beacons etc. They were able to "self-rescue".

Had this happened a few yrs ago we in all likelyhood would not have seen that many people with safety gear.

Cpl Dan Moskaluk

K

KKRDR

Dec 13, 2007
Calgary, Alta
This morning on the Global Calgary news, they made it sound like the RCMP were looking for Ozone Dave for questioning and that he has gone into hiding. Don't they think the poor guy is tramatized and greif stricken. Why is it that somebody is always looking for someone to blame when an accident occurs that may or maynot have been preventable? Avys happen. Not always where you want, but they do happen. The news isn't news if they aren't sensationalizing the bad and forgetting about all the good!!!

Premium Features