• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Sled Ideas

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Here's what I'm thinking. I'm going to buy a sled after this next season. I know, planning a little early, but if I have to, I want to be able to accumulate what I need if I build from the ground up.

I'm 95% decided I'm going blue for my next sled. I really wanna give the Cats a chance, I even thought of a IQR Mtn sled. The XP was a super fun sled semi stock.....not what I'm after. I have a 165hp 420lbs sled already. If I want something lite and manueverable it's there. More than likely what my little bro is gonna step into once I'm done with her.

Here's what I'm thinking.

1. Buy a used Nytro turbo that might not be what I want, but close to it, already done.

2. Buy a new Nytro and lighten it up, leave the motor stock for the first year, but 156x2.5 under it, suspensions and whatever else I deem nec. :D
Turbo goes on for the next year.

3. Buy new with a turbo and leave the mods for subsequent years.

So my thoughts.....if you've bought used before, whas it what you wanted? Did you turn it into what you wanted or did you learn to love it?

Should a guy go straight to a turbo? Or should I improve the weight and handling of the sled first?

I'm thinking buy new and lightweight and mod(track being a big one) If the 130hp isn't enough(I know it's not but what do you do?) I can add a 60 shot and keep it if I want to run nitrous on the turbo.

I figure without the turbo, I'll have a sled 100lbs heavier than my current, and with nitrous it'll be a little more powerful. I'm willing to sacrifice a year of that before the turbo.......or should I leave her bone stock expect for the turbo for the 1st year?

My problem with buying another brand is that there's nothing stock that suprises me. Not one stock sled out there I would be willing to ride for a year as my personal sled. It has to be modified. And for me to modify another 2 stroke would be wasting my money in my opinion. I don't see spending under 20g for a 2s once the first season is over. Might as well spend some extra and really get what I really want.

This is what I'm thinking.

Nytro, aftermarket tunnel, 156x2.5x16 add Avids with either a Timber rear skid, or just to a stock suspension mod with Floats. Get some A-arms on it with some different skis. I'll leave the pieces that will change once the turbo is on. (I'm very Alpine biased but Impulse has turned a lot of heads)

I can't afford it all in one she-bang, but spread over a few years is no problem. What have been your guys experience?

Or do I turbo a M8 or M1000 and leave the chassis stock? Yikes, I really am undecided.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Get the turbo Nytro first (with track) and then change the handling and weight. Boost is the best mod you can do! :D Some pretty sweet deals floating around. :beer;

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
Go Boost first and foremost, thats what I did:D You'll probally be able to find a Nytro done to the T for a smoken deal if their resale is anything like the Tapex next year, jusy my 2cents:beer;

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Used toys are questionable, especially used toys that have been run hard. I bought mine used, and other than the seat, hood, bottom end and drivetrain, minus driver shaft, I've replaced everything because of some reason or another. I would go with a m1k, they run really hard, and really pull. Would be better for a fun factor IMO. I am kinda partial to the 2 strokes though. I like the smell and love the weight. Plus, they are getting really reasonably priced now.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Next question, are tunnels really worthwhile on a Nytro? Weight savings on this one? Strength? Weak points of the stock tunnel?

I'm only planning a 156 so stock tunnel length more than suits what I'm after.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
I hear the boards are a bit soft on the Nytro. I have one of Chad's tunnels on my Apex and its 20# lighter and the boards are strong! Whether $3000.00 is worth it? :eek: It's an addiction right? :eek::D:beer;

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I hear the boards are a bit soft on the Nytro. I have one of Chad's tunnels on my Apex and its 20# lighter and the boards are strong! Whether $3000.00 is worth it? :eek: It's an addiction right? :eek::D:beer;

Yeah if the pro's outweigh the cons I'll put one on. I just know how much and how much time is involved. If it's gotta be done, it's gotta be done :D

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca

I'm going to be ordering up a new tunnel pretty quick here, my CR tunnel bent right where it tapers up just behind the seat, the previous owner told me it was from a jerry can bouncing around on the back:rolleyes: Have you seen any flex in your tunnel? I'm trying to decide between the VanAmburg or the CR:beer;

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
My CR has been rock solid. :D However, I don't haul a 5 gallon gas can over rough trails like a bat out of he!! either! I have seen stock Apex tunnels break(and coolers also) from this kind of abuse. People don't realize that 5 gallons is 40 lbs! :eek:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would think you could find a already built T-nytro that is close to what you want. Let someone else absorb the depreciation and dump the $$ into the turbo and other mods. You know what to look for in a sled and can tell if it has been taken care of. Should be plenty of them for sale in BC.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The more I think about it, the more I like your thinking Paul. The one thing I like about buying new, is well.....it's new and tight, and hasn't been ridden before. haha It's really a non-issue, just thinking, you know, if I have the chance why not?

I've been scanning the used swap meet section already. I don't need to wait until '10 if I come across something I like enough to buy, I'd jusr rather give myself the time getting organized what I want, instead of rushing into something I might not care for.

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Boosted FX Nytro

How about a short track Nytro with hartman tunnel ext. and AD Boivin ZX2 with 156 X 16", Simmons skis, Proto first turbo kit with a lot of test rides and raced at West Yellow stone has a few scratches with Apex mountain handlebars, I will go through it and check over and should be great sled for you.
www.powderlites.com

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Buy a used Nytro, turbo it and dont look back. The rest will come later and is not necessary. Save up for an M10(solid axle), the rest are chit for big hp in the steep and deep. If your not a big chute climber throw on a timbersled mega skid or holtz skid.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I'm going to be ordering up a new tunnel pretty quick here, my CR tunnel bent right where it tapers up just behind the seat, the previous owner told me it was from a jerry can bouncing around on the back:rolleyes: Have you seen any flex in your tunnel? I'm trying to decide between the VanAmburg or the CR:beer;

I have a hard time believing a jerry can bent a CR tunnel, I have tow trucked 700 # Apex's on mine and not bent it. :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features