• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are Sled Prices Getting to High?

P
Dec 15, 2018
You tube says he’s made from 12k to 75k a year on his channel. So yeah if you get enough subscribers and most importantly vi ws and likes you make money. Making 75k a season snowmobiling sounds good to me!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Gen Z'er here, 12k-75k is a huge variance, but either way not nearly enough to support that lifestyle in canadia. These sled 'tubers are great but not even close to the subscribers as some other channels. I'm sure it's a nice little side hustle tho.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I have a friend, a cabinet-maker and finish carpenter, who has a big following in instagram; he makes a little off it, plus free tools and gear from time to time. He typically spends an hour or two every day on it, and says you really have to be careful about going to long without posting, and he's seen times where subscribers drop off with no explanation. He's probably in the top 10% in terms of investment/reward - lots of people put in a lot more time and effort and get less.

It's true older generations don't understand why anybody would put in the effort or make anything off it - I'm solidly in the middle ground - but younger generations tend to underestimate how consuming it can be, and how easy to strike out. Kind of like "get rich quick" schemes: somebody does hit a magic combination now and then, but most people get there with hard work and commitment. And even then, social media is so fickle that you might labor in anonymity and never make a cent - especially when you're talking about an expensive hobby like snowmobiling.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have a friend, a cabinet-maker and finish carpenter, who has a big following in instagram; he makes a little off it, plus free tools and gear from time to time. He typically spends an hour or two every day on it, and says you really have to be careful about going to long without posting, and he's seen times where subscribers drop off with no explanation. He's probably in the top 10% in terms of investment/reward - lots of people put in a lot more time and effort and get less.

It's true older generations don't understand why anybody would put in the effort or make anything off it - I'm solidly in the middle ground - but younger generations tend to underestimate how consuming it can be, and how easy to strike out. Kind of like "get rich quick" schemes: somebody does hit a magic combination now and then, but most people get there with hard work and commitment. And even then, social media is so fickle that you might labor in anonymity and never make a cent - especially when you're talking about an expensive hobby like snowmobiling.
It no doubt takes a lot of work to become something on youtube. You HAVE to be good at what you do and consistent with content. Matt is very good at what he does, and it pays, he has far more subscribers than any other sledder- over twice that of Burandt. He has built a brand and a pretty incredible following.
His channel has over 34 million video views. I did a little research... sounds like average channels make from $5-$10 per 1k views but anywhere from $1-$30.

$5= $170,000
$10= $340,000

Add in a ton of merch (probably pays the taxes on the above) and some sponsorships.

"Daddys money" 😂

Who knows maybe he's on the lower end. Regardless I find it funny when people immediately make daddy comments when someone is successful. Typically runs out the mouth of people who do the bare minimum at a 9-5 and live life being a butthurt little bitch because they have yet to magically get rich. Rant over.

P
Dec 15, 2018
It’s not like digging holes is all that glamorous. Could have daddy money like a billionaire or something lol. I used to live by the kid who will inherit frito Kay. He was a pos and did nothing full time in luxury lol. So dad having a successful earth moving company is a bit different. At least he has to work. Could be worse lol! Think mr.beast makes millions a year off you tube. Google highest paid and see? It do s suck though that kids actually think it’s a job. That’s off for sure

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It’s not like digging holes is all that glamorous. Could have daddy money like a billionaire or something lol. I used to live by the kid who will inherit frito Kay. He was a pos and did nothing full time in luxury lol. So dad having a successful earth moving company is a bit different. At least he has to work. Could be worse lol! Think mr.beast makes millions a year off you tube. Google highest paid and see? It do s suck though that kids actually think it’s a job. That’s off for sure
Oh… he is litterally employed by his dad?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Most cases young kids with money is in some way daddy’s money.
My kids all work their butts off for what they have.
It’s no question that opportunity is there because of my dad who got the opportunity from his dad.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Most cases young kids with money is in some way daddy’s money.
My kids all work their butts off for what they have.
It’s no question that opportunity is there because of my dad who got the opportunity from his dad.
I’m pretty sure I missed some context in snojets comment, and it makes a lot more sense now. I thought he was just implying his dad buys his sleds… not that he works for his dad and his dad pays him well.

Pretty sure he’s gotta be knocking on 30 and doesn’t have kids. Wouldn’t be a stretch at all for him to be able to afford what he is doing through fair wages and youtube $$$

P
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah he’s an excavator operator for his dads earth moving company. I will say his dad did real good. He has slot of big equipment and trucks and a full time mechanic shop. He’s big time for what he dies. Of course he’s good to his sons they are his sons! The other kids in the office I think lol! I’d be begging for the office work lol! They do a lot of stuff with barges on the lakes there? I dunno , I watch to much internet! My new one I watch is this kid from blue river named Liam. Him and his friends ride crazy good. Think if you grow up in bc around the powder highway you do good at wi ter slorts!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It no doubt takes a lot of work to become something on youtube. You HAVE to be good at what you do and consistent with content. Matt is very good at what he does, and it pays, he has far more subscribers than any other sledder- over twice that of Burandt. He has built a brand and a pretty incredible following.
His channel has over 34 million video views. I did a little research... sounds like average channels make from $5-$10 per 1k views but anywhere from $1-$30.

$5= $170,000
$10= $340,000

Add in a ton of merch (probably pays the taxes on the above) and some sponsorships.

"Daddys money" 😂

Who knows maybe he's on the lower end. Regardless I find it funny when people immediately make daddy comments when someone is successful. Typically runs out the mouth of people who do the bare minimum at a 9-5 and live life being a butthurt little bitch because they have yet to magically get rich. Rant over.
Well, two things on that. First, assuming it's profitable, I do get the impression he had a much easier jumping-off point than most of us. It's hard telling what difference that made; I definitely don't get the impression of a channel that's throwing around a lot more money than it could be bringing in. Either way - I've said before - I like his stuff because he shows genuine passion, plus he doesn't suppress the stuff manufacturers wouldn't want you to hear. If he's a rich, entitled kid, he hides it well (that's easier said than done) and even if it turns out he's been bankrolled by daddy, I don't really care. If something came out with him trash-talking "poor" sledders (now, who would do such a thing?), that would turn me - but it would be a real shock.

The second thing is, his success comes at a price, one that many pay without ever gaining traction. I wish people would stop to consider that before stooping to jealousy or trying to copy him. A huge proportion of kids these days say they want to be a tiktok/youtube/younameit influencer, and that's a moonshot in terms of being profitable and not selling your soul in the process. It doesn't help that you have to play to the algorithm (which invariably leads you away from who you really are - and don't you dare exhibit political wrongthink). At the end of the day, I can't ignore how that system won't hesitate to use you up and spit you out. I hope Matt has what it takes to use the system instead of being used by it, but I applaud his success so far.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
I also work construction, and I can tell you it's well within reason to make enough during the summer to play all winter if you don't have kids. But who cares where his money comes from? He obviously puts a lot of effort and passion into his videos, and it shows. I like what I get from watching his channel, and I hope he can keep it up

Premium Features