• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850E-TEC Turbo R better sounds

D
Dec 22, 2018
I stole this off the internet so it must be true :)

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do?

The Common Misconception

Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible. While sound control is indeed part of the resonator's job, the sound control itself is really more of a side effect of its primary purpose.

Pressure Wave Harmonics

Air flowing into your cylinder head's intake port doesn't move in a straight line while the valve is open, then politely stop in its tracks to await another valve opening. When the valve closes, the moving column of air slams into it, then compresses and bounces back like a spring. This pressure wave travels backward at the speed of sound until the intake runner opens up or it hits something, and then it bounces back toward the cylinder. This is the "first harmonic." The pressure wave actually bounces back and forth two or three more times before the intake valve opens again.

Intake Tube Pulses

The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholz resonator, an acoustic device used to control pressure wave harmonics. Air bouncing back out of your engine and into the intake tube doesn't do it in a single pulse the way it would in a single intake runner; the multiple pistons put out pressure waves at their own intervals, and some of those are going to try to bounce back in while others are going out. The result is a "clog" or high pressure area in your intake tube that ultimately limits airflow through almost the entire rpm spectrum.

The Resonator

Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.

Well whats referred in this video is, that people are REMOVING resonator box and replacing it with a straight pipe? That REDUCES the space in the airbox. In this "mod", we are not reducing the space but quite the opposite increasing it.

And lets not forget that guy in the video is talking about 4-stroke engine, on modern 2-stroke engines we have REEDS that stop airflow back to the intake. I can also link some videos if you want to learn more about differences on 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines?

And after all dyno results speaks itself and also race sleds like I mentioned in my earlier post.

Whats funny to me, lots of people even this forum are installing aftermarket cans which you can see in the dyno with -5hp loss on the average. Theres no aftermarket can that increases your engine hp by itself by adding it to a stock sled. Imagine paying 300-600$ for rubbish quality part, losing horsepower, making your sled louder so trails and riding areas to be shut down haha.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Well whats referred in this video is, that people are REMOVING resonator box and replacing it with a straight pipe? That REDUCES the space in the airbox. In this "mod", we are not reducing the space but quite the opposite increasing it.

And lets not forget that guy in the video is talking about 4-stroke engine, on modern 2-stroke engines we have REEDS that stop airflow back to the intake. I can also link some videos if you want to learn more about differences on 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines?

And after all dyno results speaks itself and also race sleds like I mentioned in my earlier post.

Whats funny to me, lots of people even this forum are installing aftermarket cans which you can see in the dyno with -5hp loss on the average. Theres no aftermarket can that increases your engine hp by itself by adding it to a stock sled. Imagine paying 300-600$ for rubbish quality part, losing horsepower, making your sled louder so trails and riding areas to be shut down haha.

I think most people go with aftermarket cans for weight loss, not for a power bump. They are for sure lighter and some don't lose power and some are not noisier than stock. It is the poor designs that hurt the reputation of all. Now if a OEM suitcase has to restrict flow to meet sound requirements then it is entirely possible that a free flowing can may actually increase hp.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I think most people go with aftermarket cans for weight loss, not for a power bump. They are for sure lighter and some don't lose power and some are not noisier than stock. It is the poor designs that hurt the reputation of all. Now if a OEM suitcase has to restrict flow to meet sound requirements then it is entirely possible that a free flowing can may actually increase hp.
Exactly. I will be really curious to see legit and true dyno numbers on popular cans like diamond S, GGB and others.

I’ve not noticed power differences with my diamond S can on my 850 NA, but I know my buddy that has a 2022 boost says that with his aftermarket can he’s only getting I want to say, like 8350 RPMs and he gets 8650 RPM with the stock can and so he runs the stock can. Which sure, 8650 seems high when I’m typing it, but thats what he says.

D
Dec 22, 2018

Well friend of mine has dynoed hundeds of sleds and so far Diamond S can has been the only one not losing power. I get the weight savings but I prefer my engine to run properly in all conditions... Even with aftermarket pipe, you get better and more consistent results with stock can.

Most of the can market is a hoax and full of lies. Easy money.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Exactly. I will be really curious to see legit and true dyno numbers on popular cans like diamond S, GGB and others.

I’ve not noticed power differences with my diamond S can on my 850 NA, but I know my buddy that has a 2022 boost says that with his aftermarket can he’s only getting I want to say, like 8350 RPMs and he gets 8650 RPM with the stock can and so he runs the stock can. Which sure, 8650 seems high when I’m typing it, but thats what he says.
Entirely possible. I had a RPM brand stainless steel can on my 24 Boost. I switched back to stock muffler to compare weight and sound. I started noticing over-revving with the stock can as it was bouncing off the soft rev limiter at around 8600 rpm. I now have to go back to the aftermarket can to see if it is less rpm or if I just didn't notice it because the snow conditions had changed.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Well friend of mine has dynoed hundeds of sleds and so far Diamond S can has been the only one not losing power. I get the weight savings but I prefer my engine to run properly in all conditions... Even with aftermarket pipe, you get better and more consistent results with stock can.

Good to know. Diamond S can is screaming light, sounds good/not too loud and looks sick (for what that’s worth😂, we are snowmobilers)

There is a reason Caleb only runs stock cans. Clearly his sleds lack power🤪😂

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com

But still sounds good, eh :)

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
.............And still lighter. No lies and hoaxes about that.
Absolutely agree with you! I for one like good sounds, I also like horsepower, when it all comes together, then that is what I call sweet music to my ears :)

I say, look at the dyno numbers, they don't lie. If you do an air-box or can mod, get it checked out if you have the resources. Seat of the pants is nice, but I like looking at that dyno chart to see if I drank the cool-laid or hit a winner. Just my humble opinion :)

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Aftermarket mufflers are guaranteed to do these things, unbalance the sled, produce higher underhood temperatures, belt temps, and reduce max power while taking sled money out of your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
hard to believe any weight loss from a can is noticeable on a 450+ lb sled and that's before strapping all the other gear to it. assume a 10lb weight loss which is roughly equivalent to burning a gallon and a half of gas. anyone ever notice that difference? of course not but the anti-sledders/power sports types that close down riding areas sure as hell notice the noise.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Aftermarket mufflers are guaranteed to do these things, unbalance the sled, produce higher underhood temperatures, belt temps, and reduce max power while taking sled money out of your pocket.

Sometimes the weight loss can unbalance a sled and sometimes put it in balance. My Polaris 850 NA is noticicably heavier on the clutch side with a can but my Boost with a can feels more balanced. The turbo on the can side is the difference. And the Boost factory muffler is uninsulated unlike many OEM mufflers making it a bigger heat source than the aftermarket can. The problem here is many of you guys generalize and comment without concidering not all cans are created equally and not all guys are buying them for the same reason. I bought a can to be lighter and give more room for my belt drive. I am not interested in noisier or more HP but losing HP is unacceptable too.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Sometimes the weight loss can unbalance a sled and sometimes put it in balance. My Polaris 850 NA is noticicably heavier on the clutch side with a can but my Boost with a can feels more balanced. The turbo on the can side is the difference. And the Boost factory muffler is uninsulated unlike many OEM mufflers making it a bigger heat source than the aftermarket can. The problem here is many of you guys generalize and comment without concidering not all cans are created equally and not all guys are buying them for the same reason. I bought a can to be lighter and give more room for my belt drive. I am not interested in noisier or more HP but losing HP is unacceptable too.

You said “feels”, only way to know if it’s truly balanced or not is to put it on a scale.
I have bought/returned and tested lots of mufflers, wrapped them in header wrap to keep the heat down, even wrapped ceramic coated mufflers, and titanium mufflers.

This being a doo forum, I am only commenting on my experience with doo, yes a aftermarket muffler would make getting at things on my sled easier, and the weight loss? I Would rather work out and loose 10 lbs were it mattered the most.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You said “feels”, only way to know if it’s truly balanced or not is to put it on a scale.
I have bought/returned and tested lots of mufflers, wrapped them in header wrap to keep the heat down, even wrapped ceramic coated mufflers, and titanium mufflers.

This being a doo forum, I am only commenting on my experience with doo, yes a aftermarket muffler would make getting at things on my sled easier, and the weight loss? I Would rather work out and loose 10 lbs were it mattered the most.

Try doing both, for a 20 lb total reduction, you will be surprised.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Try doing both, for a 20 lb total reduction, you will be surprised.

I did the aftermarket muffler thing for quite awhile, definitely not worth the money and never said once, “wow can I ever feel the weight reduction of the whole sled” but definitely favoured the clutch side over the exhaust side while sidehilling. Figured out the imbalance on my 09 mod when setting the suspension up.
My last three sleds have rocked the stock muffler.

Premium Features