• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride… no good

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
New rollers in the secondary, aligned, and back together. It seems better but still far from right. It’s gonna go to the dealer, I’ll let them figure it out. It definitely feels like a clutch issue, not a track issue.

Here’s a pic of my deflection-
Why is your belt so low in the secondary? That does not look good.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just got it home, rode it. Same.

Seems to be the belt slipping in the secondary.

Have a 3" powerclaw, avid driver, and ice age khaos rails on the way. Will find out if its a track issue I guess. I realize put a stock track on would be the correct thing to do, but they are like $1700 and hard to find from what I was told. There is no reason the setup I ordered shouldn't work just fine... buuut the same could be said about the setup I currently have.
Swap on a different secondary?

Like $40 off ebay

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Seems fine to me, but low mileage so far , I’m lost on what thread to bitch on ::)) you people should have ridden a Yamaha for the last 25 years, pussys…..

70842988-A9BA-4FA2-95AE-5E9698B42A42.jpeg 53D7E893-8A4D-4B4E-9138-4C742C15B0AF.jpeg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
FFS

New track, drivers, and rails installed. Still not right. A few trips back and forth in the yard and the clutches are too hot to touch. Will try to steal a secondary from a buddy this weekend.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Broken secondary clutch spring or incorrect secondary assembly?
I’ve had it apart, but have not separated the shieves, maybe the were bad from the factory? Never heard of that. Visually they look good.

I don’t know if I should take it to the dealer and demand new clutches under warranty? Afraid I will get told to pound sand due to the aftermarket track.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
One other thing to check although unlikely if this sled is pretty new. I had 2 Polaris's that broke the jackshafts. Right behind the secondary. They both went for a while with a speed related pulsation through the chassis, before letting go. The shafts must have been cracked and flexed the crack open on every revolution, until wham.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
One other thing to check although unlikely if this sled is pretty new. I had 2 Polaris's that broke the jackshafts. Right behind the secondary. They both went for a while with a speed related pulsation through the chassis, before letting go. The shafts must have been cracked and flexed the crack open on every revolution, until wham.
On the inner or outer side of the bearing?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Is .110” lead-in enough that could generate alot of heat and some slip? Seems like I mostly feel the slip around 6,000 rpm.

I’m not out of line in thinking the clutches shouldn’t be too hot to touch after ripping around the yard on hard pack for a few minutes, am I?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Note where the belt is sitting in the top of the clutch vs the bottom of the clutch. I think I found my issue… now the question, why?

FDEF2B66-3976-485C-AF3C-6D60DACA47CD.jpeg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Note where the belt is sitting in the top of the clutch vs the bottom of the clutch. I think I found my issue… now the question, why?
Yes this is the photo you showed earlier. Something is not right. Maybe it has the wrong belt or that secondary is not closing all the way. Did you put the new style rollers in it?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yes this is the photo you showed earlier. Something is not right. Maybe it has the wrong belt or that secondary is not closing all the way. Did you put the new style rollers in it?
Different picture this time... the belt is riding about 3/8" down into the secondary on the top, and riding about 3/8" of an inch OUT of the secondary on the bottom.

I had of course noticed it was riding down in the secondary on the top, but had not looked at the bottom.

Roller part #3514929 ... appeared to be identical to the factory ones.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Try putting it on a jack stand and spinning the track slowly, see if you can notice any wobble in the secondary?
That's just not right.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
The pic of your belt/secondary....is this after you have rode it ? Or putting the belt back on ? Obviously the belt is sitting low and in mid gear and wedged as bottom looks correct. This would defiantly heat up everything in a short time if this is always starting off in this position. You notice any wear on the helix ramps when you had it apart ? Something is not right internally on that thing. As said, borrow a buddies secondary and see.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The pic of your belt/secondary....is this after you have rode it ? Or putting the belt back on ? Obviously the belt is sitting low and in mid gear and wedged as bottom looks correct. This would defiantly heat up everything in a short time if this is always starting off in this position. You notice any wear on the helix ramps when you had it apart ? Something is not right internally on that thing. As said, borrow a buddies secondary and see.
After riding

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I would take it apart and have a close look again. Having chewed up new rollers is f*$ked up. Boosts look to have a Straight 46 Helix. If it has been running wedged like that, the washer that sits between the sheaves must be showing some wear, or wearing in the sheaves. So odd ! If you take the secondary off, and measure between the sheaves all the way around to see if it in fact holds wedged.

1678986641247.png

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Issue has been found. A big shout out to Ultrasauras, he reached out and offered to help. About 10 minutes and a few pictures later he realized there is no bushing in my inner sheave on the secondary.

Premium Features