• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P22 clutch spring/belt/DET code

N
Oct 29, 2021
Bellingham
2024 Boost ~800 miles

3 things happened, the order im not sure about.

1) Max DET detected code on my 7S, went into limp mode.
2) Belt was burned in a spot and slipping so swapped to new belt
3) P22 clutch spring broke in half

Was tree riding in the deepest of Revy pow pow when all of a sudden i lose power, look down and see DET detected codes so I stop, reboot and switch into the NON PREMIUM mode. It rides fine so I revert back to PREMIUM mode. No more det codes but feels as though belt is slipping intermittently. Swap bets. No longer feels as though belt slipping, stll no det codes. After replacing belt I start having issues idling (in the deep deep pow pow) and come to realize its because the track is creeping (attempting) and motor bogging due to the load. Then realize the clutch spring is broken in half (P22).

Can someone help me understand the connection between these events?

C
Dec 15, 2017
2024 Boost ~800 miles

3 things happened, the order im not sure about.

1) Max DET detected code on my 7S, went into limp mode.
2) Belt was burned in a spot and slipping so swapped to new belt
3) P22 clutch spring broke in half

Was tree riding in the deepest of Revy pow pow when all of a sudden i lose power, look down and see DET detected codes so I stop, reboot and switch into the NON PREMIUM mode. It rides fine so I revert back to PREMIUM mode. No more det codes but feels as though belt is slipping intermittently. Swap bets. No longer feels as though belt slipping, stll no det codes. After replacing belt I start having issues idling (in the deep deep pow pow) and come to realize its because the track is creeping (attempting) and motor bogging due to the load. Then realize the clutch spring is broken in half (P22).

Can someone help me understand the connection between these events?
If the primary spring broke first it explains all of it, once the spring broke it let's the primary clamp down and burn the belt. But it's also not going to grab the belt like it should which will lead to over Rev which might cause max det.
And for sure broken primary let's the clutch grab the belt and try to creep the sled at idle. That's my guess.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
For those who get detonation code please understand how Polaris has programmed the ECM. As soon as the sled sees any reason to cut the power (limp mode) your waste-gate will not close to build boost. When this happens I believe you will also not get the more fuel for boost conditions. BUT if you actually grab a big handful of throttle the sled actually does build some boost because the wastegate does not dump all the increased pipe pressure fast enough to keep the boost to zero psi. So now you will see detonation. So if you get any kind of unrelated code (e.g. speed sensor voltage low) this can ultimately cause a detonation issue.

When you get a detonation warning stop and go through the 7S dispaly to see if it has other codes. Do this before shutting off the motor.

I chased detonation on my sled and found it only came with another code. I also watched the boost gauge to learn what was happening. Once I cured the other code the detonation went away.

Last edited:
R
Dec 24, 2008
For those who get detonation code please understand how Polaris has programmed the ECM. As soon as the sled sees any reason to cut the power (limp mode) your waste-gate will not close to build boost. When this happens I believe you will also not get the more fuel for boost conditions. BUT if you actually grab a big handful of throttle the sled actually does build some boost because the wastegate does not dump all the increased pipe pressure fast enough to keep the boost to zero psi. So now you will see detonation. So if you get any kind of unrelated code (e.g. speed sensor voltage low) this can ultimately cause a detonation issue.

When you get a detonation warning stop and go through the 7S dispaly to see if it has other codes. Do this before shutting off the motor.

I chased detonation on my sled and found it only came with another code. I also watched the boost gauge to learn what was happening. Once I cured the other code the detoanation went away.
mine has been doing this for a couple seasons. fine on hard pulls or in the deep but on the trail if i nut it the warning comes up.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
mine has been doing this for a couple seasons. fine on hard pulls or in the deep but on the trail if i nut it the warning comes up.
So in your case it might be over-revving or revving too fast. The 7S gauge is too smart sometimes. My Boost is often hitting the soft rev limiter even though I have a much softer primary clutch spring in it.

Premium Features