• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride… no good

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Looking for some help here. Just picked up a new 23 Boost 165 Pro.

I installed a cut down 300lx. Factory drivers. I have a terrible, and I mean terrible vibration mostly felt in the feet from 4000-7000ish rpm… gets better beyond that but still noticeable. I can not see anything rubbing. Tracks running awfully straight. I see the windows on the 300lx are awfully narrow, the drivers fill the windows, but look to be tracking fine within the windows. Tried tight and loose, no noticeable change. Quickdrive looks fine. I’ve had 3” tracks that vibrate a little, but this extremely bad.

Next issue… was having a bog when loading the motor climbing. Would drop to 5k ish rpm and not come out of it till I let completely off the throttle. No codes. Revs were like 8700 at 9500’… factory high altitude clutching. Seems excessive. Maybe part of the bog?

Also blew a belt at 14 miles. HOT clutches. Look to be running smooth, no excessive “wobble”.

Any insight? Brand new sled, probably the worst 20 miles I’ve put on a sled. Have changed lots of tracks, no issues.

First thing I assume I need is a couple more grams in the primary.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Not sure if this is apples to apples.
But, last spring I picked up a 22 matryx. Has the 2.7 though.
All spring 5 rides or so, it had this terrible vibration. Previous sleds were all Cats, 2 oth them had 3” tracks. They were vibrators. I was was really surprised how bad the 2.7 vibrated. This season I’ve put on a couple hundred miles and have not noticed the exagerated vibration.
I haven’t even thought about it really until I just read this. Wondering if the drivers need to break in to the track a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Not sure if this is apples to apples.
But, last spring I picked up a 22 matryx. Has the 2.7 though.
All spring 5 rides or so, it had this terrible vibration. Previous sleds were all Cats, 2 oth them had 3” tracks. They were vibrators. I was was really surprised how bad the 2.7 vibrated. This season I’ve put on a couple hundred miles and have not noticed the exagerated vibration.
I haven’t even thought about it really until I just read this. Wondering if the drivers need to break in to the track a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Have rode a couple factory 3” Matryxs… buttery smooth.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Boat anchor drivers seem to cause/create much more vibration and noise than the TCCS Axys. I haven’t run that particular track SMF could comment but stock and Lynx vibrate. I’m waiting for the re-release of the 2006 Polaris Hersheys kiss running board inserts to resurface to counter excessive vibration.

Did you get CE light? Bog could be engine rpm spinning up to fast. Could be many other boat anchor issues. Could be 7S switching to ethanol mode, exhaust valve relearn, wastegate relearn.

And a belt in 14 miles? Even with Polaris horrible alignment and offset issue that seems a little premature. Did you check alignment and offset? I’d be looking at the clutch integrity very closely.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Boat anchor drivers seem to cause/create much more vibration and noise than the TCCS Axys. I haven’t run that particular track SMF could comment but stock and Lynx vibrate. I’m waiting for the re-release of the 2006 Polaris Hersheys kiss running board inserts to resurface to counter excessive vibration.

Did you get CE light? Bog could be engine rpm spinning up to fast. Could be many other boat anchor issues. Could be 7S switching to ethanol mode, exhaust valve relearn, wastegate relearn.

And a belt in 14 miles? Even with Polaris horrible alignment and offset issue that seems a little premature. Did you check alignment and offset? I’d be looking at the clutch integrity very closely.
I know powderfreak drivers are supposedly the smoothest running drivers… maybe I should try that.

300lx from what I can tell is basically a heavier ce light.

I did not check alignment and offset… cuz brand new. Ive got a trs bar from my axys, suppose I need a new one?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Are you sure it wasn't just your clutch belt? A belt starting to come apart will feel exactly like track vibration. Granted, it usually gets worse with higher rpm and/or load, so might not be your issue. But, saying you lost a belt in 14 miles makes me think it may have been a belt issue. Even just pulled cords will vibrate like crazy.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I did not check alignment and offset… cuz brand new. Ive got a trs bar from my axys, suppose I need a new one?

I would lean on Chilly for a resident forum expert recommendation on that one. He says alignment and clutch calibration have no impact on the boat anchor. And since he’s never blown a belt, he would know best.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Are you sure it wasn't just your clutch belt? A belt starting to come apart will feel exactly like track vibration. Granted, it usually gets worse with higher rpm and/or load, so might not be your issue. But, saying you lost a belt in 14 miles makes me think it may have been a belt issue. Even just pulled cords will vibrate like crazy.
When the belt blew it was like a lightbulb went off… that was my issue. New belt, same exact problem.

P

pdaddyvr6

Mar 14, 2020
My 23 155 boost is running 8600-8650 at 10k as well. It was not bogging at all, however I put a better intake boot on before I ever rode it. Maybe you are getting boot collapse? It felt good at 8600, but I am going to bring the rpm down a little and see how it feels. Rode it on eth mode and it was a little lazy but no drivability issues.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My 23 155 boost is running 8600-8650 at 10k as well. It was not bogging at all, however I put a better intake boot on before I ever rode it. Maybe you are getting boot collapse? It felt good at 8600, but I am going to bring the rpm down a little and see how it feels. Rode it on eth mode and it was a little lazy but no drivability issues.
Intakes 100% clear, still possibly collapsing you think?

P

pdaddyvr6

Mar 14, 2020
I believe they added a flapper valve on the 23 that helps the boot issue, but idk. I was not going to risk it so I just changed it. I am with dave though as well, the clutch situation is suspect with the quick belt failure.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I see in an old thread TRS saying center to center being off can cause the belt to ride low in the secondary. Mine is

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I believe they added a flapper valve on the 23 that helps the boot issue, but idk. I was not going to risk it so I just changed it. I am with dave though as well, the clutch situation is suspect with the quick belt failure.
They did. It's a valve on the airbox in the engine compartment. It's on the 9R as well.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
No, but Terry has told me enough. They are heavy and handle poorly. I really do think Ski Doo Turbo R is the sled to have for a majority of people.
I have a booster and a doo turbo r… bought the doo first, didn’t like the handling, bought a poo.

Rode a Lynx for about 2 minutes today. Doo powerplant with predictable handling. Will ride more tomorrow. I was really impressed. All the good things that doo does with most of the handling quirks solved. Try to get a ride on one sometime.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have a booster and a doo turbo r… bought the doo first, didn’t like the handling, bought a poo.

Rode a Lynx for about 2 minutes today. Doo powerplant with predictable handling. Will ride more tomorrow. I was really impressed. All the good things that doo does with most of the handling quirks solved. Try to get a ride on one sometime.
I would try one if I had the chance. Don't know anyone that has one nor have I ever seen one on the mountain in person.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
No, but Terry has told me enough. They are heavy and handle poorly. I really do think Ski Doo Turbo R is the sled to have for a majority of people.
I changed to slydog skis and it is night and day better. Before with fat trail skis there was no sweet spot. Had to overbalance it or i would lose it downhill. Now my buddy went from i have a roll of duct tape to i have to eat my words. He thinks its really fun. He thought it was more fun than his 22 boat anchor. Just unforgiving in the trees. Lynx track trenches but is part of the reason its fun. Needs ridden with more speed. It actually feels lighter than 9r in deep snow. Polaris is more precise and in control in trees. 2.75 just jumps up on top and goes. It has no death wobble or steering twice as easy but steering 3 times as much. Rode a couple buddy's 154 and 165 expert. They can have them. Narrower version of the same with more power. Can't get by their handling.
As far as vibration from track, i have none. Haven't tightened chain either but only 172 miles.
Our snow was 2 to 3 feet of fresh on top of sugar snow and soft spots everywhere. Even the boost would dive out of sight.

Premium Features