• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Snow Conditions 1

R
Nov 29, 2016
Coming over this weekend Arriving Sunday staying through the following week for the snocross races. Wondering how the trails are doing? It looks like it warmed up a little bit yesterday. But some new snow tomorrow and colder temps until the weekend. Then another warm up. I am hoping to get a decent ride in Sunday and Monday at least. Looks like it will be warm though.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Just got home today. If you trail ride you will not complain. The 3 to 4 inches yesterday helped. 200 miles in 2 days.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Duane What is your opinion on what effect the warm weather this week will have on the trail system. Hoping to ride out of Deadwood. :juggle:

I was in Deadwood today by pickup and the trail looked like it was holding yet today. I do not know if it will hold by the weekend so I would have a plan B for unloading if the trail into Deadwood does not survive by this weekend.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
I was in Deadwood today by pickup and the trail looked like it was holding yet today. I do not know if it will hold by the weekend so I would have a plan B for unloading if the trail into Deadwood does not survive by this weekend.
A lot of die hards will be in town this weekend
that sucks!!!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Hey guys heading out there from WI. For the first time in 4 years. Wondering if the off trail is safe and decent. If so where can a guy find the good spots

I would say at no time is off trail in the Black Hills safe. Conditions will dictate how much you can get away with off trail without damage. Right now you still have to ride slow and cautious through the trees. The meadow are set up better and are a little more forgiving. Saturday I took some freinds out SE of Trailshead off trail and found a few spots we could tear up some powder but most of the areas we slowly picked our way through the trees and still bumped stumps and logs without any damage. The group still had a good time.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Duane, good to see you out on the trail this past weekend. I'm glad we did as we used your input on the trail conditions before heading over to BuckHorn and then took a South and East route before coming back to Rec Springs. As always, your knowledge of the trails paid off, with the trails being in excellent condition.
The previous day we went up to Spearfish Lodge and trails were excellent there as well.
Off trail is very sketchy in places and I would agree again with your statement about it never being "safe". We found a number of places to do some boon-docking but the pace was slooooowww and deliberate.
If anyone is heading to the hills for only off trail riding I'd advise them to pack along a few spare parts if that's all they are going to do.
Hope to see more snow in the forecast as we'd like to head down again later in the season.
Thanks again Duane!

THINK SNOW!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Drove through Deadwood today. It looked like the trail was holding up. Rode this afternoon. Trails icy and very snirty around Trailshead the rest still looked good. Talked to groups comming out of Spearfish Canyon who said it was good all the way to the Lodge. Off trail was soft with a slight crust. No mashed potatoes. Got a chance to ride a snow bike (KTM) today that the State of Wyoming had at Hardy. A little hairy on the hardpack but fun in the powder. Still not ready to get rid of my sleds though.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Busy day today. 2 injury accidents, 1 report of stuck vehicle on the trail and 1 report of a lost snowmobiler. Stuck vehicle was gone by the time I got there. The lost snowmobiler was found before we started a search. 1st injured snowmobiler possibly had a broken collar bone. The second was life flighted out whith possible broken ribs and leg. He hit a log off trail climbing a hill and was thrown into a stump. Be carefull off trail, you cannot ride aggressive in these conditions. Patrol sled now has over 2000 miles.We are getting a little light snow tonight.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sno Bike

Yes you can. It does need to be licensed just like any other snowmobile but here is the South Dakota law pertaining to what is a snowmobile. Snow Bikes fit that law.

What is a snowmobile?

No person may operate a snowmobile on a state snowmobile trail or area established pursuant to SDCL 41-19 unless the snowmobile has a curb weight of less than 1,400 pounds, is an engine-driven vehicle of a type which uses sled type runners or skis with an endless belt tread or similar means of contact with the surface upon which it is operated and the vehicle does not exceed forty-eight inches in width.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sticker

It has to be a snowmobile registration or licensing sticker. Here is what South Dakota has to say about modifying a motorcycle to be ridden as a snowmobile.

Motorcycle Trail Pass

32-20A-25. Permit to operate motorcycle as a snowmobile. Any resident owner who has titled a motorcycle which has been modified to comply with the definition of a snowmobile for use as a snowmobile on a state snowmobile trail or area established pursuant to the provisions of chapter 41-19 may purchase an annual permit valid from Dec. 1 - Mar. 31, inclusive, for a fee of $20. The permit shall be affixed to the motorcycle on the right side of the unit and shall be clearly visible. The Department of Game, Fish and Parks shall collect the annual permit fee imposed by this section and shall deposit the fees in the snowmobile trails fund.

A little more about the pass from GF&P Site.

Motorcycle Snowmobile Trail Pass

A motorcycle can be converted to meet the definition of a snowmobile. The permit is $20 and is valid Dec. 1 through March 31. More information
Purchase

To purchase a Motorcycle Snowmobile Trail Pass call:

The Black Hills Trails Office, 605.584.3896 or
Farm Island Recreation Area, 605.773.288

Last edited:

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
There are a lot of downed tree's thanks to that wind storm last year that knocked down a ton of tree's. The 3' stumps the loggers leave behind is one thing, but now we have all the 20-30' tree's laying on the ground with branches sticking up. Ride safe!!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
There are a lot of downed tree's thanks to that wind storm last year that knocked down a ton of tree's. The 3' stumps the loggers leave behind is one thing, but now we have all the 20-30' tree's laying on the ground with branches sticking up. Ride safe!!

Traction!

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
Went to the snocross event in deadwood this weekend, didn't bring my sleds
My son (15yr old) now thinks he needs a 600R, and a Mountian conversion, or a switchback assault....

Snow didn't look that good anywhere near town, hoping they get a few more good dumps in the next few weeks as we're planning a trip down

Got to meet an SD state trooper, really nice young guy, I was a hair in the wrong and he righted me (plus my wife's a cop and chewed my arse for speeding)
Just a normal good trip for me!!

Keep us posted sdsnocop.....I'm going off your word for our trip!!!

Premium Features