• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 5

M

McLaughlin_7

Oct 12, 2009
S.E. South Dakota
i dunno how your schedule is next weekend but me and a friend from madison are possibly headin out fri the 16th till sunday got room for one more person pm me if your intersted

switchback assault

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2012
Hey guys, I am kind of at a loss without Duane's reports. A group of guys and I are planning to come out on Sunday and ride through Wednesday. Just curious how the snow is holding up and whether it is worth the trip or not. I would appreciate any reports that anyone can give me!

Thanks in advance for the help!

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
It would be good if someone who lives east river who is out here now can tell you whether or not the drive and $ is worth it cause for me I can't living 40 min from Trailshead. Hope you get a good answer

switchback assault

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2012
I have never had a trip to Hills that wasn't worth the money! I am just curious if there is going to be any snow to ride on when we get there. We aren't much for trail riding and I would assume that the snow up in the trees is going to hold up much better than the trails. Just curious how things look.

N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
I was there 2 weeks ago and a couple friends there till Tuesday. Go for it snow will settle some but should be plenty left.

switchback assault

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2012
That is what I was thinking! As long as there is snow to ride on it will be worth the trip! Thanks for the help!

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Trails

Here is what is probably going on out there right now. The groomer report says "Limited Grooming" and the "trails are setting up icy hard over night". That means the snow is melting and the groomers are not able to work the slushy snow so they are not grooming much. You cannot groom wet snow and the maximum temp is usually around 25 degrees. Looking at sunny and 50s for the next 5 days or so. Off trail may hold out for a while but the snow will be wet and crusty on top and sugary under that. If it doesn't cool off faster at night and it stays in the upper 20s grooming will probably be suspended. They will be some nasty riding. That is just what happens this time of year.

Last edited:
B

bonesnytro

Nov 24, 2010
south dakota
Firetrail pretty much nailed it. We are here now and in the mornings the snow is hard as a rock! Today it was 50+ degrees and the crust loosened up in the after noon and had some pretty good riding considering. I am from west of Sioux falls and would eather keep driving west or not go if I knew these were the conditions.

D

digger18

Feb 22, 2009
Otsego MN
Holds Up

Well I hope the snow holds up as I am bringing my 11yr old nephew out there again this year. We went last year and we all had a blast. We would be going out the week of the 19th sometime. That's all he has been talking about....lol! I guess the Big Horns isn't to much of a further drive.......

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hills

Was told this morning that the grooming schedule was down from 2 shifts a day to one. If you look at the NOAA forecast the skies are to be clear and sunny during the day with temps in the mid to upper 50s and the nights around 30. I would predict that grooming is pretty much done after this weekend. The snow will take some serious hits in the next week.

Last edited:

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
Had a good day ridein. Went from trailshead to buckhorn and around on a few other trails. Like others said hard in morning and sugary in afternoon got stuck alot. Even had some help from duane (sdsnowcop) even sat and bs with him for a bit great guy to talk to. Comen from easter sd where theres no snow it was good rideing. Glad we came up for the weekend. Not sure how long some of the trails will last pretty slushy by this evening.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I have to appologize. After reading all the PM's that appeared on my e-mail, talking with some of you over the weekend and realizing that only 1 person has resorted to name calling I am being selfish by not sharing information I have. I have no problem with those who disagree my decision.
The warm weather has taken its toll on the snow conditions. I expect by next weekend trails in the Lead - Deadwood area will be gone. Trails should still be ridable Trailshead, Buckhorn and South plus north to cement ridge. You will probably find some gravel going into Spearfish Canyon. Morning rides will be tough on sleds as snow for cooling and lube will be hard to find. Best riding will be after lunch when the snow softens up. Off trail in the meadows still should be ok but watch out for landmines showing back up in the trees. Even after next weekend there is still almost 2 weeks of March left and conditions could change fast. I will be back up on Thursday and will let you know what is left Thursday night. It was strange seeing snowmobilers in t-shirts and shorts, with sunburns, waiting to cross the highway as motorcycles and convertables drove by.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
was out this weekend from mitchell and it want bad at all. off trail is fun in the afternons if u got enough power. pretty typical spring riding. super super warm. i think andy at trailshead said it best when he told us he never seen so many tank tops wile people r sledding! lol! thanks for comming back duande and also thatnks for the help taking my carbs apart yesterday on the damn ol ski doo! she worked top notch!

D

digger18

Feb 22, 2009
Otsego MN
Trip

Thanks for the updates! I still plan on bringing my nephew out next week so any more updates would be great. I got to come out to Spearfish anyways and pick up my truck that broke down on us coming home from Montana. Do you guys think the tree riding will still be decent next week? Probly leave MN Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks....j..

Premium Features