• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 4

J
Feb 21, 2010
Top of the BlackHills
Started snowing in Lead at noon today and have 2" fresh and just now starting to get with it.
Road Sunday in the wind. Rough trails, so spent most of my time boondocking. Stuck several times, but part of the deal when the snow is this deep. Went to the new wharf area (trail 5T, I believe) Really wind blown and lots of exposed rocks on the high spots....But the rest is a absolute blast to ride. It's like nothing else in the hills trail system. I was impressed with it being a first year area. Hopefully it will get better and larger with years of development. Some of the places inside the fence line (active mining sight) look to be a sledders dream if they ever get opened.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
This storm is not doing much. 2 inches dry powder at Hardy Camp. Currently snowing microscopic ice crystals. I can see the moon through the clouds and there is no wind. Weather forcasters are still predicting 4-9 inches but unless the clouds thicken up and the wind starts blowing I think 4 inches will be a stretch. Conditions still excellent. Trails are even much better with less traffic. Cold enough tonight so the trails will hopefully set up harder.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Total of 4-5 inches new snow around Hardy and Trailshead. For the trails it was good the snowfall was on the short end. The groomers are still trying to catch up and are getting stuck. Went riding today on my day off with the crew from Trailshead. Probably some of the deepest and challenging snow I have seen in my 20 years in the hills. I was at a disadvantage with a 144 600 Mountain Cat but the rest of group with 800's 151 to 163 were struggling. We found places where we could not get through. If you can stay on top you can do fine, but break through to the sugar layer and your stuck. We had 10 of us and all were stuck 5 times or more. Some were stuck going downhill. Snow started to get sticky on top which should help it set up. We spent 5 hours riding and was never more than 10 miles from Trailshead. Snow was so deep I had to craw on my hands and knees to get to stuck sleds to help. I ride alot but today pushed me to my limits.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
havent been out there since presidents weekend, but the snow was good.....but its good here too, and i've come to relise that when the snow is good in the hills you won't find a better all around ride then right here, If your looking for bigger stuff, head that way but with the conditions Duanne is describing everything will be more challanging to ride here also. Either way you will have fun!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Heh with only a 600 it doesn't take much to get stuck :D

I'm excited to go to the horns, I'm kinda bummed the hills finally decided to get good snow as I go to the horns, but its also probably a good thing since most midwest folks will go to the hills meaning less people in the horns trackin up the snow!

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
162 is king in the hills right now, You can have all the horsepower you want but a shorter tracks will dig down and you will be trenching snow. Duane is right about have to roll to get back to your sled once you leave it. In that sugar snow you have to work so hard to get your sled to go where you want it even coming down hill. The only easy riding is on a packed trail. Best is because its so difficult very few are getting off trail so un touched snow is going to be around for a while. Have fun

S
Nov 26, 2007
Custer, SD
My suggestion for the future would be plan a trip midweek, less traffic and smoother trails. Or unload at Buckhorn, Mallo Camp, or Mountain Meadow and spend most of your time in the South half of the system. Trails are usually smoother, less traffic and more open to see and expect oncomming traffic.

Is there ample parking at Mallo camp?

I
Dec 3, 2011
Rapid City SD
stuck

Okay here a question from somebody who don't know anything about boon docking so if it is stupid let me know i can take it.
How come you guys don't carry snow shoes and how come know body has a winch on the front of their sled?
Dwaine especially on your patrol sled because you are out there by yourself so much.
oh by the dwaine thanks for the tip on towing a sled with no one on it. i broke down Saturday on the 550 cougar and i towed it with the panther like you said to see how it was and it folowed surprisingly well.

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
thinking about heading out there next weekend how much snow is around rec springs compared to trails-head will be only riding Saturday so I want to find the best possible.

C
Feb 28, 2011
Okay here a question from somebody who don't know anything about boon docking so if it is stupid let me know i can take it.
How come you guys don't carry snow shoes and how come know body has a winch on the front of their sled?
simply weight. I wouldnt want a sled to be any more front heavy than it already is or have to try to throw around even more of a tank around trees. Plus its usually so easy to just roll sleds out. we have talked about how often snow shoes would come in handy though.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Dwaine especially on your patrol sled because you are out there by yourself so much.
oh by the dwaine thanks for the tip on towing a sled with no one on it. i broke down Saturday on the 550 cougar and i towed it with the panther like you said to see how it was and it folowed surprisingly well.

Actually some do carry snowshoes on their backpack. I have lately been considering looking at snowshoes if I can find a place on my sled to store. With the conditions now it would be hard to walk out without them. The problem with a winch is the weight in the winch, mount and the battery. When I am by myself I try to stay out of tough spots. The best tools I have for self rescue is a shovel, sno-bunje, rope and and a ratchet pully. The ratchet pully allows me to use my sno-bunje by connecting a rope to the sno-bunje and to a tree pulling and holding tension to slowly winching me out of a stuck hole. I also have my radio as a last resort.

Premium Features