• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Condition 1

B

bhor

Oct 29, 2008
Rapid City SD
Rode out of the beasant park area yesterday to the intersection of 2c and 2k then cross country from there north and west side of hill are great east and south sides low on snow

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
Coming this weekend

Hows the snow looking this week? We are planning on leaving tomorrow to get a pre-christmas ride in! Dont feel like driving 7hrs for hard packed.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Weather service is predicting 2-4 for tomorrow and additional chances for the weekend. I have not been up the last 3 days to see what the warm weather has done but will be up tomorrow. Conditions should be better than what we have seen pre Christmas for several years.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I'm planning on coming out the 26th with my girlfriend to show her the ropes. I looked at the forecast on my phone and it shows 30% chance of snow for most of the days between now and then. What do you locals think your going to be getting? Will I at least keep from overheating whilst trolling the trails?

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
North facing slopes are very good. South facing slopes are thin. Ride up the north and down the south worked really well for us. Talked to a snow patrolman. Nice guy. He said better snow by cement ridge and gravel pit. We rode from trails head south. Very fun. Don't let the hill snobs slow you down. Just ride like you might hit a stump.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
Would like to know off trail conditions in the Cement Ridge area or where the best riding on the north end is. Heading that way next weekend.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Rode to Spearfish canyon and back yesterday. Trail 4 was in good shape except for a couple of South slopes that were a little rocky. The trail into the lodge is in good shape with only the last 1/2 mile you can feel a little gravel. Returned on 1 and mostly good except for a few thin rocky areas exposed to the sun. Rifle pit canyon has a good base along with most North and East slopes. Rode to Rec Springs today and trails were in pretty good shape for being this early in the season. You will bump some rocks but trails are better than we usually see this time of year and I have seen much worse mid season in past years. Met the new person running Rec Springs Brett. Very nice guy seems very motivated to turn the place around. Food was good and the place was clean. Ran into some of his rental sleds, brand new Arctic Cat 570's, nice change of pace and they were even licensed. Off trail riding is a matter of picking the right side of the slope and most of the meadows. Areas where the old October snow stayed left a good base with 6-12 inches of powder on top. North towards Spearfish Canyon, Big Hill and Cement Ridge is good, also the meadows and North slopes South of Trailshead along FS117 and in the Crooks Tower area is also pretty good. No problems getting to Rec Springs, Trailshead, Buckhorn, and Spearfish Canyon. The worst trails I saw was trail 5 from Rec Springs into Lead but was rideable. I hope to try to get to Mountain Meadows at Deerfield tomorrow, It should be duable by going South on 1, cross 9 and take the shortcut across the lake (always be cautious on frozen water). Conditions by all means are not perfect but I would say I have seen a handfull of years conditions were better at this time of year but most have not been as good as it is now. Snowed 1-2 inches tonight and is still lightly snowing right now.

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
We drove.....

Made the 7hr drive. Went north the 1st day and played in our honey hole we been riding in for last 4 years. Second day we went south and found a few new places to go when the riding gets better. Found a few meadows with 18" of fluff in there and did lots of off trail riding. There wasnt many places we couldn't go. Surprisingly south was better snow. Deeper powder. North slopes are the best ones as usual. Trails we found in real good shape. #8 was the worst we came across. Was one of my better trips I have made to the area all around, mostly due to the fact that the trails weren't hammered out. We met one sled on the trail all weekend, and saw maybe 4-5 others. Mind you we didn't spend a bunch of time on the trails. Theres stumps still, but if you ride to expect them and watch for them its all good. Will be back for another rip in early January. Hopefully they get 12-18" of fresh between now and then.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Went South today. Stopped at Canyon Springs, did not have any problems getting in and out of there. They are all set up and ready to feed snowmobilers. Went South on trail 12 to trail 1 found it to be in good condition. Went East on trail 9, was good except for a few spots where I could feel gravel under my carbides. Took trail 2 from 9 to Mountain Meadow and found it to be thin, rough with many rocks. I returned back to 9 but bypassed most of the bad portions of trail 2 by cutting across the lake. Mountain Meadow is under new management and is eager to serve the snowmobilers who stop in. They just installed a new fuel pump which will eventually be set up for 24 hour credit card service. The last couple of fresh snowfalls have favored the South compared to the north.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Went South today. Stopped at Canyon Springs, did not have any problems getting in and out of there. They are all set up and ready to feed snowmobilers. Went South on trail 12 to trail 1 found it to be in good condition. Went East on trail 9, was good except for a few spots where I could feel gravel under my carbides. Took trail 2 from 9 to Mountain Meadow and found it to be thin, rough with many rocks. I returned back to 9 but bypassed most of the bad portions of trail 2 by cutting across the lake. Mountain Meadow is under new management and is eager to serve the snowmobilers who stop in. They just installed a new fuel pump which will eventually be set up for 24 hour credit card service. The last couple of fresh snowfalls have favored the South compared to the north.

Thanks for the update, I have never been down to Canyon Springs, how is the food there?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Thanks for the update, I have never been down to Canyon Springs, how is the food there?

It is not cheap food but is good food. Hand formed burgers, lightly breaded fish, and other homemade offerings for lunch. High end steaks for supper. Full bar with craft brews on tap. They do not have a deep fryer but use a convection oven for some of the breaded items. Very nice place run by a nice couple.

T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
hey boys anybody get any pics or videos of the current conditions out there? Planing on coming out on the second with some buds. I seen there are a few chances for snow on like sunday or tuesday, anyone know if it's suppose to produce anything? Hoping to do some backcountry off trail riding with the guys.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
sorry it took so long, youtube was slow. The trails were good IMO today. Most of the off trail in this vid is just south of the 4A/4 trail junction on trail 4. You can find good snow for off trail play if you want to, just have to search a little. Last minute and a half of the video is just me riding the trails for all you trail buffs out there.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LJRbIq57N0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premium Features