• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA link 2.0 vs oxbow

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Rode a couple seasons with the BCA Link 2.0. After 2 seasons the plastic clip holding the mic to the radio body broke. BCA Warranty was great and super easy to deal with. Had a replacement mic in no time. Decided to try an Oxbow last season, and I didn't use the BCA after that.

There's pros and cons to both.
Oxbow Pros: Great battery life, can lock the keypad so no channels or privacy codes get changed, easy to use, easier charging that uses USB C.
Con: The antenna is somewhat annoying on a Klim Aspect 16 avy pack--they make a mount that you can rivet through the front chest plate (accessory). I just used the included mount on the shoulder strap, and the antenna would sometimes hit the bottom of my helmet. As of today they just released a different mount for the Klim Aspect 14 & 16s--I might give that a try.
BCA Pros: Smaller mic profile, guts of the radio are protected in avy pack. Large push to talk button.
Cons: Micro USB charging, and probably the most annoying thing--the dial to change channel presets is on the mic. It's too easy to rotate the dial without realizing it, and you're on a separate channel or privacy code than the rest of your group.

Didn't really notice a difference in reception between the two.
Do you have a link to the mount. ive seen the standard on a smaller one of avy vest with loops to mount if that makes sense and the rivet style ones

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
So...............

On these Oxbows with Bluetooth, any issues or even potential issues with regard to transceiver interference?
Yes. All electronic devices can interference with transceivers. It's recommended to add distance between transceiver and the object creating the interference or turning the electronics off when in avalanche territory.

The 20/50 rule is that you want your beacon 20cm (8") away from other electronics while transmitting and 50cm (20") away from electronics while searching.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I have paid for two BCA 2.0‘s. Will never buy another radio from them. Of course the clip broke on the first one, so I would just zip tie it or electric tape it no huge deal but then it quit transmitting. I could still hear people, but they could not hear me. bought another one because I didn’t want to wait and it worked for a while, then crapped the bed. I mixed and matched the mic with the second one to the body of the first one and it worked for a little while, but now it does not work at all. For the price , they should work. Super annoyed. Love my BCA tracker. Hated the way my BCA float backpack fit but that’s a different story or subject. Going back to the old school Motorola radios that have the call button so my buddies can acyually hear me if i need help. Have no idea why the BCA 2.0 did not have that button. Ridiculous. One Buddy has an oxbow and it works flawlessly. The rest of our group still has the BCA’s and they are hit and miss.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Yes. All electronic devices can interference with transceivers. It's recommended to add distance between transceiver and the object creating the interference or turning the electronics off when in avalanche territory.

The 20/50 rule is that you want your beacon 20cm (8") away from other electronics while transmitting and 50cm (20") away from electronics while searching.

That's what I thought I had seen a while back. Not sure if I would want to gamble with wondering if my radio will interfere with my rescue !!!

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
That's what I thought I had seen a while back. Not sure if I would want to gamble with wondering if my radio will interfere with my rescue !!!
From what I've been reading pretty much all electronic devices can cause interference with transceivers.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
From what I've been reading pretty much all electronic devices can cause interference with transceivers.

True, that’s why I ride with my phone turned off. Plus, I like to get away from people when we ride not stay in touch !! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I wonder why the beacon manufacturers can't put some type of interference filter or shield in the beacons. They are going to have to come up with something because the new sleds are coming out with more and more electronics on them.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
I have a 5w and a regular RockyTalkie. Been great, with crazy good battery life. Clip on strap easy enough with the back up leash pretty comfortable not loosing one. Easy to change channels and has a lock button so only the PTT button does anything. The mic would seems nice(haven’t used mic yet) and get it farther away from the beacon. You can get the 5w and just use on low power to to not break the law and become an undocumented high powered radio user.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Only 3 full days of use, but the BCA Mini gets the nod from me. I’ve had both the older BCAs and the original oxbow. Wasn’t a big fan of any of them.

Why I like the BCA mini-
No cords
Good battery life (2-3 days in cold temps)
Easy to run
PTT button is easy to press but doesn’t accidentally get bumped
Could always clearly hear people, and they could always hear me
Price

Honestly it just works the way it should. Would definitely buy again

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just bought 3 new oxbow renegades. Best ever. Had a little of everything. Volume great, simple, battery life is awesome and attachment choices are awesome. Crystal-clear and waterproof.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
After owning motorolas, using BCAs and riding with people using Oxbows I bought a Rocky Talkie mountain radio. The battery life is impressive and I haven't had any accidental power/volume/channel switches with it.
Here's a good video showing the difference between frs and gmrs radios :

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
After owning motorolas, using BCAs and riding with people using Oxbows I bought a Rocky Talkie mountain radio. The battery life is impressive and I haven't had any accidental power/volume/channel switches with it.
Here's a good video showing the difference between frs and gmrs radios :

Used these this summer and they are great a too. If it's on and you didn't talk on it the battery life is still 100% at end of day. The oxbow is also great and more sled specific with it being waterproof, comes with a frogskin on it and more choices for avi bag mounting. I got the rivet on mount for my klim aspect 16 chest plate. The other great thing, rocky talkie included, is they come with a c charger. That is the same as my phone. All the years of stuff and i have 40 million different chargers and cords.

S
I have the Oxbow Renegade 2.0 and their service has been amazing. They had a batch come in with a programming issue, I got in contact with them and they replied and sent me a new one immediately before I even sent mine back. I am sure BCA has good customer service too, but I just wanted to point out that this was a pretty epic service experience. Also, the volume is definitely louder on the Oxbow from what I can tell. I am not sure if my friend had the BCA 2.0 or 1.0 but Owbow volume was like 50% louder.

Premium Features