• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which av pack bca or klim

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
Looking to upgrade my gear safety. While I don’t ride av terrain in my area I’m looking to travel this season out of state to new zones and want to be familiar with the product before going into newer zones.

Klim

Love their products have used them for years with back packs, suits, boots etc. like the way their packs use a battery style system vs the air tank systems as the battery system is enough enough to change batteries vs finishing a place tk service the air tank.

Looking at the atlas 26 as I’m typically the main rider in the group and also the mechanic so I carry more than I need.

Bca

They are popular packs out here in Oregon but have never used any of their products. I still like the battery systems more but don’t see an air cylinder failing as it’s a simple design. Not sure what the maintenance is on the air cylinder systems. I would imagine have it inspected and o rings changed yearly but I am unsure. Would be into the float 22 or the float 32 for storage space.

Have a klim nack pack now and is barely enough space at 13l of storage. Like to have overnight supplies/emergency items, daily use items (water food etc) with me plus

also looking for beacon advice. Have intentions of getting an av pack and beacon and do a av class this season.

Pricing isn’t a factor as my life is worth more than a couple hundreds. To me it is at least maybe not others

Thanks to all for input. Want to get this stuff by end of month

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I really like my Klim. I have the Aspect 16 because I don't like to carry much on my back. Fits shovel/probe, bca radio, 1 pair of goggles, 1 pair spare gloves, and I shove my base layer jacket in there when I start to get warm and with that, it is completely full. I do like the protective chest plate on it

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I have the KLIM aspect 16 as well.
Previous pack was a PIEPS Jetforce.
Personally, i would not have a compressed cylinder pack again. It is a pain to get them re-charged, and when/if you deploy, yeeerrr done! Yes, they are a pound or two lighter, BUT, i will take the weight penalty for the multiple deployment / easy re-charge option.

PROS of the KLIM Aspect 16
#1 is the size! Like the ability to carry some stuff on my back, but FAR prefer to have the weight on the sled, rather than on my back.
#2 The E2 fan operated system is FANtastic (pun intended :) ) Love being having the ability to deploy multiple times and recharge with just two AA batteries. Or charge with USB C port.
#3 It is small, light, and functional. Almost forget about it being on my back when riding.

CONS
#1 That on/off switch buried in the bottom of the pack is a VERY bad idea. Should be accessible from the outside of the pack through a zipper pocket or something. Maybe on the pull handle like the PIEPS is???.
#2 Absence of outer hip area pockets is a little annoying.
#3 The location of the USB C charge port is another bad idea. Should also be accessible from the outside - maybe in the same zipper pocket as the on/off switch. One should never have to completely un-zip a pack to access these things!!
#4 Would be nice if one could remove and replace AA batteries from exterior of the pack (not a deal breaker though).
#5 The chest protector is almost useless since it is so small and ends up being above the solar plexus area. Does protect the upper chest area good though.
#6 Fuller chest protector (like the new vest options) would be MUCH better.

Anyway . . . just my $.02 worth :)

Last edited:
P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
Thanks for the input. Was leaning toward klim but wanted to see what others thoughts were. I can get the atlas 26 on sale new on burandts website for like $975 or the aspect I found as cheap as $1200 but would get it through a better site than eBay like straight from klim or a guide service that is klim certified.

I like the aspect chest protector feature but does seems kinda small as mentioned above, I’d rather get a full size chest protector to go under my suit. I also like the strap system, kind of centers it on your upper body vs lower back similar to the nac pack I’m currently using.

I like the atlas as I can get it for a few hundred cheaper which I could then use to get a beacon and other gear. It’s not that much bigger when you look at specs so the size isn’t much concern. I think the probe storage makes it look bigger than it is. Like how it has the storage on the waist straps, looks like a good spot for spare gloves balaclava etc, also the shoulder straps similar to a backpack look nice. But it does look like it would carry for of the weight on your back vs upper body.

If I had all the other gear and was upgrading I would get the aspect all day but leaning toward atlas for price point with it being on sale. Luckily there’s a couple months left before the season starts.

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I’ve only tried the bca mtn pro vest. I really like it but after 4 seasons 4400 miles it was showing a lot of wear. This summer I turned it in to warranty and they sent me a new one completely free. Really impressed with their warranty work and I love the space inside and how easily the bca radio works with the bag. To be honest I was planning on trying a klim bag this winter before the warranty deal went down. I haven’t ever blown my bag off but the klim system seems way better for getting back on the snow quick.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I’ve only tried the bca mtn pro vest. I really like it but after 4 seasons 4400 miles it was showing a lot of wear. This summer I turned it in to warranty and they sent me a new one completely free. Really impressed with their warranty work and I love the space inside and how easily the bca radio works with the bag. To be honest I was planning on trying a klim bag this winter before the warranty deal went down. I haven’t ever blown my bag off but the klim system seems way better for getting back on the snow quick.
BCA just released a vest with the same Alpride E2 electric/capacitor system that the Klim bags have

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I have had 2 BCA float 32s in the last 12 yrs. First 1 was changed out for warranty like Turbo Thompsons was. They have great storage and are easy to use. The maintenance is easy, beginning of every season i pull the cord and set it off, replace 2 greased up o'rings, repack bag and get the bottle recharged. I do have a spare bottle as well. With a battery It is nice in the fact that you can set it off multiple times in a day but i feel if you have set it off that day you are probably gonna want to go home and change your underwear instead of playing on the slopes some more.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I'd go for a battery powered airbag. While I agree it's time to go home for the day after a real deployment, more often they're unintentional, like when riding tight trees or wrestling a sled.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I'd go for a battery powered airbag. While I agree it's time to go home for the day after a real deployment, more often they're unintentional, like when riding tight trees or wrestling a sled.

Yes Siree . . . Or your buddy pulling the "oh S**t handle as a joke. HAHA!!
Which is exactly why i like the fan (battery/capacitor) powered - multi-deployment capability of these new E2 systems. (E1 is good too).

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
Perfect reason for a battery pack. Buddy caught his handle on the bars while rolling the sled over. This was about an hour into the day. Repacked and let the AA batteries recharge and kept going.

My crew (4) all went with the Aspect 16. Never used the Atlas but did use a rental BCA pack the first year and you can feel the difference between the traditional straps like a backpack compared to the chest plate. Once you get the plate adjusted right, it really takes a lot of the weight off compared to the weight hanging off your shoulders.

I would rather have whatever additional items that the Atlas could hold in the tunnel bag anyways. Besides shovel and probe, I carried gloves, goggles, and some snacks. Keep it light.

IMG_0356.JPG

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
You mentioned you like to carry a lot in your pack. The bca vest probably wouldn’t work for you in that case, it doesn’t have a lot of storage. Probably 15L

Can’t speak for the backpacks or fan powered vests

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Bca

They are popular packs out here in Oregon but have never used any of their products. I still like the battery systems more but don’t see an air cylinder failing as it’s a simple design.
Take a peek at this.

While I am a TOTAL KLIM Poster child, this is the one piece of NON-KLIM Gear I have been riding with for the last decade.
This year I am turning in my cylinder for a battery pack.

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
tried one on at haydays, I really liked how it fit.
No one could tell me the actual weight, even the guys from BCA. It feels a little heavy, but really like how it takes the weight off of my shoulders. Price at haydays was still around $1400 ish .

I was hoping to try out the one from Klim, to compair, but Snowbigdeal said another week before they would get one.

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
tried one on at haydays, I really liked how it fit.
No one could tell me the actual weight, even the guys from BCA. It feels a little heavy, but really like how it takes the weight off of my shoulders. Price at haydays was still around $1400 ish .

I was hoping to try out the one from Klim, to compair, but Snowbigdeal said another week before they would get one.

8.1 lbs / 3674 g (with E2 system) - 5.59 lbs / 2535 g (without E2 system)

taken from bca's website

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Staying with BCA or going to Klim?
Upgrading from the previous Cylinder based BCA Mtn Pro Vest to the new Electronic system.
The KLIM unit is great, its just too minimalist for "me".
I like the vest of the BCA, the extra storage space and the heavier level of protection it offers for tree riding.

AND.
Its a WARMER VEST to wear.

So depending on your own personal level of "Physicality" when riding, it may or may not be your best choice.
If you tend to get Hot or Overheat frequently while on the mountain, the KLIM may well be the better choice for you.

For me, at 60, I LOVE how the BCA works for me.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i had a bca avy backpack for a year and i had no complaints but i wanted a vest. i went with the arva "reactor" 15 and i'll be on my 3rd season with it this year. i prefer the vest and this one has multiple internal and external adjustments to customize the fit. they make plenty of larger sized avy backpacks as well if you need the space. their inflation method is a bottle and not the battery/fan system. foe sledding clothing/gear in general, i typically first go to snowboard/ski equipment manufacturers. it's easier to find high quality stuff from companies that have been around for decades and that's not covered in cheesy, loud colors and with logos emblazoned everywhere.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
i had a bca avy backpack for a year and i had no complaints but i wanted a vest. i went with the arva "reactor" 15 and i'll be on my 3rd season with it this year. i prefer the vest and this one has multiple internal and external adjustments to customize the fit. they make plenty of larger sized avy backpacks as well if you need the space. their inflation method is a bottle and not the battery/fan system. foe sledding clothing/gear in general, i typically first go to snowboard/ski equipment manufacturers. it's easier to find high quality stuff from companies that have been around for decades and that's not covered in cheesy, loud colors and with logos emblazoned everywhere.
Good example of the ARVA REACTOR 15 with "Cheesy, Loud Colors and Logos Emblazoned everywhere" :D:D
Photo from the ARVA website.

arva-reactor-r15-vest-natural-selection[1].jpg

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Last edited:
Premium Features