• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

alpha track clips

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
The clips with the aft number came in and were a "universal" to the number however were too big width wise, I've had to cut them down to basically a 1 inch square. That said you need a clip tool to put them on, due to that I'm left with installing them on the left side of the track only. The tool I was loaned won't fit the 3 inch paddle. I had 7 alpha clips for cheap so I installed those evenly, so how the track now looks is there's 3 alpha clips in a row, then 1 single one, then a alpha clip, single one, back to 3 alpha clips again and it repeats, so I'm not too worry about placing them on only one side.

I had used a small vice to clamp the other side of my alpha clips I installed and it worked fine. However going to the single clips I believe they are a bit weaker and it bowed the bottom of the clips so they werent flat, you do indeed need the clip tool to install them where it supports them on the bottom as you clamp. Otherwise I'd of gone for a full clipping job. Time will tell what happens, no snow for now it's been a dry season so far.

20191114_170658.jpg

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Finally ground the bolt cutters to the clip profile and got the clips on under the lug in the unclipped windows. Pretty quick and easy. Loosened track, had one guy to just twist track on edge so I could get the clippers in, done like chicken dinner.

10A11CD1-7683-4516-A27A-6682FB6E0575.jpeg

A
Aug 31, 2010
Finally ground the bolt cutters to the clip profile and got the clips on under the lug in the unclipped windows. Pretty quick and easy. Loosened track, had one guy to just twist track on edge so I could get the clippers in, done like chicken dinner.

View attachment 335255
How long did that take? Is anyone concerned with putting clips on just the one side and imbalancing the track?

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
How long did that take? Is anyone concerned with putting clips on just the one side and imbalancing the track?

Took longer to shape the bolt cutter (45 min) and about 30 min to crimp them under the paddle only. Zero track or slider issues in 1200 kms with them on. Doesn’t have any wear on the non-lug side with no clip so the clip must keep the track far enough away from slider.

Someone asked about imbalance by adding just the one,, not a chance I would think. Sure don’t notice anything anyway.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
So I got looking at my track and I'll have to try and make a tool like thumper, OR cut them off but due to the wear it's best to of course just add more lol. I knew either 2 things would happen, being either near the nubs on the other side would be a pressure point or it wouldn't be a issue due to the clip lifting it up some. Turns out it's a pressure point.

Balancing wise it's not an issue at all....

20200207_164703.jpg 20200207_164659.jpg

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Octanee, so those are clipped not under the lug?

no, the tool I had borrowed had a slot for the lugs and was only good for 2.5", I didn't/ don't think it would matter too much in regards to that? but maybe it also does. you say you've got 1200km, more than me and have no issues haha.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Made a tool same as thumper, I cut the handles shorter though to aide in installation, tough to twist the track as much as needed with full length handle and you sure don't need that much leverage lol. May have grinded a bit more than needed but I do have enough bite/clamping that they sure won't be going anywhere regardless.

Fully clipped the track now. Should be good to go.

S
Nov 29, 2007
North Idaho
I have a post in this section which was a result of track clip issues. Doesnt it seem like if everyone doing this is to alleviate an issue, that maybe arctic cat should be taking care of this??..Everyone seeing issues now and potentially in the near future needs to be letting their dealers know, and calling artic cat customer service. That's the only way recalls and updates get done, get arctic cat to step up before your warranty is gone.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have a post in this section which was a result of track clip issues. Doesnt it seem like if everyone doing this is to alleviate an issue, that maybe arctic cat should be taking care of this??..Everyone seeing issues now and potentially in the near future needs to be letting their dealers know, and calling artic cat customer service. That's the only way recalls and updates get done, get arctic cat to step up before your warranty is gone.
I agree.
I contacted arctic cat myself and expressed my concerns.
Everyone should do the same.

Sent it

R
Apr 4, 2009
Made a tool same as thumper, I cut the handles shorter though to aide in installation, tough to twist the track as much as needed with full length handle and you sure don't need that much leverage lol. May have grinded a bit more than needed but I do have enough bite/clamping that they sure won't be going anywhere regardless.

Fully clipped the track now. Should be good to go.
Can you just cut the rubber nub off with razor and put those flat clips right in the middle??????

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Can you just cut the rubber nub off with razor and put those flat clips right in the middle??????

Maybe, but even then it wouldn't fix the main issue, so it would not make sense.

If you, or anybody has some mileage on their track, or ride a very short bit of dirt lol, lack of snow temporarily. you will notice how the rubber wears away on the outboard side of each un clipped window next to the rubber nub, I believe there's the weird holes/imprints there as well, Anyways there's pressure points there, The track seems to wear from the middle (tiny nubs) or between the 2 sliders and will taper deeper outward to the nubs, That's from sidehilling, The track is flexing so when it does that it lifts off/removes pressure from one slider/hyfax and applies it even more heavily to the other one. Next on top of that is add in the paddle torque of the track flexing and you get another pressure point. So I can't see clipping the center doing anything at all, it raises the track a smidge but I'm sure with time its going to be angled slightly as the unclipped side rides along and again that's a pressure point to wear faster. I Added a photo off my phone but it doesn't show the best, But I pointed at the spots I'm referring to, For anybody asking or stating a reason being lack of snow cooling/ "lubrication" its not., I run my scratchers down like 80% of the time, unless I'm straight pow, If I'm following a pow trail, scratchers are down again, trails down, track had 3k km on it and I do a ton of side hilling and just having a good time.

track.jpg

Last edited:

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Here is what i found to do this with. Dennis Kirk had the track clips, 10 pack for 44.00. Camso part # AFT 120118. DK part # 0800056. I ordered some cat oem clips also at 10+ per each, Having both in my hands, could not tell the difference.
I ordered a clip tool that is good for the 3 inch track on ebay. Item # 321028186421. Made by ATW.
I actually have 9 extra cliips. The tool was really good to do a factory looking crimp.
I am in SE Idaho if someone wants to borrow for a small fee I would let them.
The tool worked good with my 1/2 inch drive Dewalt impact gun. Worked it pretty hard but got the job done.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I see Dennis Kirk is out of them now. Called Tracks USA and they had 30 of them for $4.90 each so I bought all 30 since we have two tracks to do. Buddy is going to have to pay extra to Cat to finish out his I guess.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Took all of 20 minutes-
Been using the ATW tool for 2 years now and have about 20 track done with the tool- it's a spendy tool but is very tough, I use a dewalt impact on it and pull them right up.
A person need a min of 23 clips for a 165 track- I buy 25 incase you screw one up along the way

I buy my clips from Kens Sport they are $6.00 ea and free ship

IMG_4621.jpgIMG_4622.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features