• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newly developed bog/sled falls on its face

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Vern I know you added some Seafoam not sure how much but maybe a real healthy dose is in order. If you have done that maybe a little 2 stroke oil in the fuel just for a little injector sliptivity. There is no way you got some old/bad fuel is there? Do you have a donor sled to swap parts with?
I initially dumped about half a can of the regular sea foam from the metal can in there, but that was into the gas that was left in there from last season. When I seen it was having issues I siphoned as much of that out as possible leaving probably a couple gallons cuz my siphon hose is a bit short. Then I added 5 gal of fresh 91 non eth and a full bottle of sea foam fuel system cleaner that comes in the little plastic bottle. I could toss in a bit of 2 stroke just for good measure. Unfortunately the only other ctec in my riding group is a 19 with a turbo so I’m not sure what things would cross over to my ‘20 with the engine changes. I have been contemplating tossing my cracked team back on for a pass or two to rule out light clutching and just hoping for the best.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
You can try the clutch but it is just hope, cant see that being the issue. I was thinking if you could swap injectors or sensors to see if that made a difference.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Yeah, I’m not sold that the clutch is the issue either, especially how the issue seems temp related, but it’s what I’ve got immediate access to and when I put the adapt on is when the issues began, but that could just be coincidental. I’ll have to see if there’s other ways I can test some sensors and I need to try and be more observant of the gauges on the next outing. Maybe check pipe temp and some other parameters the gauge will show.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've got a team roller clutch I put on my 2014 that has about 0.090 belt to sheave clearance. It engages low and smooth, but I think it tries to drag the motor down and sometimes bogs it. I would check out every aspect of that new clutch.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
will the gauge record your highest rpm? was thinking it may actually tach higher than you realize, it does seem like a rev limiter kinda. makes more power when the pipe gets hot, isnt that what the dyno pulls show?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
will the gauge record your highest rpm? was thinking it may actually tach higher than you realize, it does seem like a rev limiter kinda. makes more power when the pipe gets hot, isnt that what the dyno pulls show?
I know the proclimb gauges would record peak rpm but I’m not sure on these newer gauges. That’s what I was wondering as well where it seems worse after it’s hot. Maybe it was making more power once the pipe was heated up and just revving to fast then settling down once it gets moving. I was going to throw the old team on today just to see if there’s any difference, but it’s cold as shiznit out there so I’ll wait until tomorrow when it’s supposed to be warmer.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I've got a team roller clutch I put on my 2014 that has about 0.090 belt to sheave clearance. It engages low and smooth, but I think it tries to drag the motor down and sometimes bogs it. I would check out every aspect of that new clutch.
What’s the belt to sheave clearance supposed to be on these roller clutches?

When I ran it in the hills at elevation at the end of last season it wasn’t this bad. Ran fine 90% of the time with the occasional falling on its face. Haven’t dared take it on an actual ride yet this season with all this going on down here at home. That’s part of what has me wondering about the weights being to light down here. Might have to just bite the bullet and drag it up the hills and see what happens.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Did you check you haven’t broken or lost any springs on the exhaust? We’ve had a couple break and the pipe can float around when you stomp on it

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Injectors can be cleaned. There is a special tool you can use however a 9v battery will open them, you can use a cleaner or compressed air and push from the nozzle side of the injector.
Sounds crazy but it could be a coil also.
Good Luck and keep us posted on your results!

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Yeah, I’m not sold that the clutch is the issue either, especially how the issue seems temp related, but it’s what I’ve got immediate access to and when I put the adapt on is when the issues began, but that could just be coincidental. I’ll have to see if there’s other ways I can test some sensors and I need to try and be more observant of the gauges on the next outing. Maybe check pipe temp and some other parameters the gauge will show.
I am not a believer in coincidence, should have read your OP a little closer. I still am not sold on the clutch but I would defiantly eliminate it. As far as cleaning a injector goes I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner would work? I have one and would use it for sure.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Vern you can get max rpm on the gauge the manual says to press and hold the upper button on the RPM side of the display. Also in the Adapt cross reference chart it says to use 2623-325 spacer and remove the washer.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Good to know on the rpm. I should have the right spacer for the clutch. If it actually warms up today I’ll go out and mess with it again and try out my old clutch for a pass or two.

If it does turn out to be clutching that would be a first for me. I’ve never had a sled have issues at the house due to being clutched for the hills. Maybe run a little higher rpm, but nothing drastic.

A
Dec 21, 2018
A friend of mine has the same issue, not been able to get it sorted even though it's been at the dealers a bunch of times.. also a 2020 alpha

For me it feels like the extra injector (that was in the 2019s at least) doesn't kick in, like when it need additional fuel because of powerband/torque it goes lean and cuts the engine, and when you reapply gas it works good. Or if you are gentle on the gas it doesn't need that additional fuel so no hesitation..

T
So I have a 21 with the JAWS single. Ran awesome last year. Afted a couple rides this year it started developing the 4700-5500 rpm range bog. Used Redline complete fuel system cleaner in it and it completely cleared the bog. Not sure if your issue is the same but it did work. Just in case you wanted to try it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am curious to see what you find Vern. I too have a 2020 Alpha with a newly installed Adapt primary. I do have my stock 2020 Team Primary without cracks but, I am south of you in Spokane. It's not the same but, I had a similar instance on an 09 M8. It ended up being a fuel injector wire that had chaffed through the insulation in one small spot and the bare wire eventually contacted the pipe. As the the pipe got hotter and expanded the sled would start to miss and when the pipe reached full temperature the sled would die. After it cooled down it ran great until it warmed up again. Best of luck my friend!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My bet is fuel issue or clutching by what you're saying.
My dad said one of the best pieces of advice he got, when he was a young veterinarian, was when you hear the thundering of horses, don't be looking for elephants.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
On the Suzuki engines I have had a bad pipe temp sensor cause something like this on a turbo sled. No codes, even squeaked a piston trying to tune it out. Changed the sensor and issue went away. I know its a CTEC but just throwing it out there.

Premium Features