• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newly developed bog/sled falls on its face

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
I would look at replacing the spark plug boots. On my 2010 m8 I was chasing a long time bog which turned into intermittently running on only one cylinder. The connection that grasp the spark plug conductor was worn to almost nothing on that side. If you are seeing wear on the plugs it almost certainly would wear the conductor as well. You can get the boots from NGK and are fairly inexpensive.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Well finally went and threw the old clutch on, minus the ring gear cuz it’s on the new clutch, and it was still there. I guess that rules that theory out as I never had an issue at home with the team. Tach’d 100-200 rpm lower at peak with the team setup. Tried checking the peak rpm on the gauge which worked, but it said the same 8683rpm every time on either clutch so don’t think it’s accurate. Probably have to reset it somehow.

The cutting out didn’t seem as bad tonight, but I also didn’t run it as long as the other day so who knows, the sea foam may or may not be doing something. I did get another faint pop out of the exhaust again though.

I do have a spare pipe sensor I can throw in just to rule that out, but its starting to sound like an injector issue. I know they’re the same sled, but does anyone know for sure if electronic parts are interchangeable from the Yamaha to the cat? Injectors are almost half the cost for the mtn max vs the cat.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I would look at replacing the spark plug boots. On my 2010 m8 I was chasing a long time bog which turned into intermittently running on only one cylinder. The connection that grasp the spark plug conductor was worn to almost nothing on that side. If you are seeing wear on the plugs it almost certainly would wear the conductor as well. You can get the boots from NGK and are fairly inexpensive.
FYI a few years back NGK went to a system where they no longer sell the spark plug caps used for OEM powersports applications through their distributors. I did find one that would work in a pinch at an auto parts store, but it was hard plastic with a rubber boot at the base and did not sit on the plug as nice as the OEM ones and would rattle a bit. So whether you have an Arctic Cat, Yamaha, or Harley Davidson you won't get the OEM quality caps without going through a dealership or place that handles OEM parts. Carry on.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What’s the belt to sheave clearance supposed to be on these roller clutches?

When I ran it in the hills at elevation at the end of last season it wasn’t this bad. Ran fine 90% of the time with the occasional falling on its face. Haven’t dared take it on an actual ride yet this season with all this going on down here at home. That’s part of what has me wondering about the weights being to light down here. Might have to just bite the bullet and drag it up the hills and see what happens.
I don't know if the clearance is any different for the roller clutch, but I always thought 0.20 was ideal. Can't see why these would be any different.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’ve looked into the spark plug caps, you can’t find matching ones from anywhere but cat and they’re about $25 a piece. I was considering just buying the hi performance wire set from slp for not much more than two oem plug caps.

As to the belt to sheave clearance, I can fit at least .070” worth of feeler gauges between the belt and sheave on the adapt. Didn’t check the team, but being as my issue was still there with the team tonight I’d say that’s not the issue.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The pipe sensor will create a rick condition if it is failed, but it should be more consistent. Easy swap and cross another one off the list. Do you get a chance to bypass the ignition switch ,tether and kill switch? I am happy it wasn't the clutch but its crappy that your still looking. Although the circle is getting smaller. If it is injectors it would be interesting to find out if these are proprietary or just an automotive injector like the pipe sensor. Also is there a core on the injector, automotive ones have a core so someone is rebuilding them. It would take some digging but may pay off in the end.
Vern to reset the the max rpm press and release the lower right button while the max rpm is being displayed.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I haven’t messed with unplugging things yet, partly because I keep forgetting about it and partly because it’s been cold as balls so I’m trying to spend as little time out side messing with it as possible. I don’t have a garage or shop.

I tried looking up the manufacturers part number for the injectors off of country cats website, but couldn’t find anything so maybe they’re proprietary. It would be nice to know if the yammi injectors are a direct swap as they’re only like $95 a piece online and cat wants like $165 a piece. I’m sure they’re physically the same, I just worry about the programming aspect. If the flow numbers or whatever you would have to program into the sled are the same and cross over.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Vern I cant see the injectors from Yamaha being any different. There was an article about the MM and the guy said it was different programing but later retracted the statement saying it was the same as AC . Most likely the same part number on the injector at least you could compare them.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Too bad it says out of stock on those units on Amazon. Im sure one could by an equivalent from deka if we knew the actual specs. I tried looking real quick on dekas sight for the v-4p and didn’t see anything that matched that specific number.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Not sure yet, the new pipe sensor made no difference so I bit the bullet and ordered new injectors. Unfortunately the local Yamaha dealer told me they couldn’t get the injectors so I had to pay cat price. Anywho, those just showed up yesterday so I threw them in, not a very fun job. Now I’m just waiting to get it in for the programming aspect of the injectors the beginning of next week, but the tech at the local cat dealer didn’t even know that was a thing ?‍♂️ so we’ll see how that goes. He’s supposed to look into it before I bring the sled out on Tuesday.

While it was apart waiting on the injectors to show up I pulled a bunch of connections apart and cleaned and greased them, and ohm’d out the coils and plug wires which appeared to be in spec. So fingers crossed that something I did fixed the issue. I’ll report back after the dealer figures out what they’re doing and I get another test run hopefully next week.

A
Dec 21, 2018
Not sure yet, the new pipe sensor made no difference so I bit the bullet and ordered new injectors. Unfortunately the local Yamaha dealer told me they couldn’t get the injectors so I had to pay cat price. Anywho, those just showed up yesterday so I threw them in, not a very fun job. Now I’m just waiting to get it in for the programming aspect of the injectors the beginning of next week, but the tech at the local cat dealer didn’t even know that was a thing ?‍♂️ so we’ll see how that goes. He’s supposed to look into it before I bring the sled out on Tuesday.

While it was apart waiting on the injectors to show up I pulled a bunch of connections apart and cleaned and greased them, and ohm’d out the coils and plug wires which appeared to be in spec. So fingers crossed that something I did fixed the issue. I’ll report back after the dealer figures out what they’re doing and I get another test run hopefully next week.
I'm interested in if it solves the issue! Let us know when you tested it

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I changed the injectors, and didnt get them programmed. It cured the problem. I'm sure it would be better to have them programmed to the ecu, but i had a pcv to adjust mapping if i needed to.

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA
I changed the injectors, and didnt get them programmed. It cured the problem. I'm sure it would be better to have them programmed to the ecu, but i had a pcv to adjust mapping if i needed to.
Did you see that the TPS worked in a smooth manner throughout it's range with a multimeter?

Some will be " in spec" on each end of the scale, but will be bad somewhere in the sweep.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’ve heard a few people say they never had them programmed and they worked fine, but I’m gonna try and do everything correctly just to be safe.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I have a cat tps tester, and it was doing what it was supposed to. This was better than a year ago. Dont remember specifics. My sled had the occasional bog from brand new, but continued to get worse, and worse. Checked all the wiring, the electronics the compression, the reeds, ( and even changed them to v force) and finally put in the injectors.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Vern I see Bikeman cleans and tests injectors. 40 bucks a injector. Wish I had seen that a few weeks ago.

Premium Features