• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo Cap... Any real world testing yet??????

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
You bought a $13 item with a master card?

I used my credit card to buy a 15 cent piece of gum! Really though I'm a tightwad, way I look at it is every purchase you make with cash you lose a dollar. You have to take your change and put it somewhere that won't fall out, that you'll remember, and that you can use for next time. I'll stick with the plastic.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
....................................... You have to take your change and put it somewhere that won't fall out, that you'll remember, and that you can use for next time. I'll stick with the plastic.

Does not your Plastic credit card / debit card require you to remember where you put it, not lose it, as well? I don't see you winning many debates, with that logic. But hey the card companies are loving you for the percentage they get from every purchase you make.

But this is supposed to be about an Oil Cap not "Wise Financial Decisions 101"

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Does not your Plastic credit card / debit card require you to remember where you put it, not lose it, as well? I don't see you winning many debates, with that logic. But hey the card companies are loving you for the percentage they get from every purchase you make.

Well I keep it in my wallet, which I can't fit change into! Dumb logic, I know, back to the caps!

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
OH NO ! you guys got me so confused i put my change in my oil tank and put the skidoo cap in my wallet and then lost my credit card !:doh:

:focus: sorry

let it snow (please)

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
ive been using the doo cap for about the last 5 rides due to me getting sick of bleeding the air bubble out of the oil line every couple rides. i cant comment on total oil usage. but i will say this. the air bubble is still coming back with the doo cap but it seems to be smaller and takse more time to show up. also on about half a dozen occasions when i have the side panel open i will crack the cap and listen, there has been a extremely noticable vacuum on the tank. or in other words when i crack the cap a lot of air escapes and you can see the tank return to normal shape. this only happens on maybe 1/4 of the times i have checked/cracked the cap. scary. so idk whats going on. i never had a problem with the polaris oil cap. (no motor meltdowns) but i never opened the polaris cap and noticed a vacuum on the system. i think im going to buy a paaso cap.

Jan 22, 2014
Sask. Canada
I've got a cap on order for mine.

Yesterday a couple of us brave souls decided to go for a ride in -34C. While waiting a very long time for my sled to warm up, I opened the side panel and loosened the oil cap. My sled began smoking more than it had been just before opening the cap. To me, that would indicate that while my sled is sitting idling, it does start to create vacuum in the oil tank. Now being that I live in and ride in the flat prairies, when I'm on the throttle I can only imagine that even more vacuum is being created due to the demand of the engine. Now I suppose that the G-forces of acceleration could cause the ball to open the vent in the cap BUT I don't know for sure that this is happening. Piece of mind for me is knowing that the cap will vent properly in any position it could possibly be in as I cannot afford to have to rebuild my motor this soon after purchase (2014). I do expect to be able to get 2500 miles or more before refreshing the topend.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I had a whooshing sound once with the Doo cap but I think it was pressure on a third tank of oil going from 2000' to 7000' on the back of the truck and not a vacuum.

Can't say I seen any increase of oil usage with it but I like the design better than the Poo cap.

L
Jan 29, 2010

the business pays the 2.5%, not the consumer, so why not?
people think its strange when the random Mexican restaurant tells you to use 7-11's ATM to get cash to pay for you're bill, but it saves them thousands a year.

on a more directly thread related note, my oil cap seems to function very randomly, I have had as much as 25-1 oil useage, then went back towards 60-1 on other rides, I allways pay close attention to oil useage, trying to blow through the stock vent makes it even scaryer, I cant belive we protect our expensive motors with this kind of system.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
ive been using the doo cap for about the last 5 rides due to me getting sick of bleeding the air bubble out of the oil line every couple rides. i cant comment on total oil usage. but i will say this. the air bubble is still coming back with the doo cap but it seems to be smaller and takse more time to show up. also on about half a dozen occasions when i have the side panel open i will crack the cap and listen, there has been a extremely noticable vacuum on the tank. or in other words when i crack the cap a lot of air escapes and you can see the tank return to normal shape. this only happens on maybe 1/4 of the times i have checked/cracked the cap. scary. so idk whats going on. i never had a problem with the polaris oil cap. (no motor meltdowns) but i never opened the polaris cap and noticed a vacuum on the system. i think im going to buy a paaso cap.

I was in Eagle River, Wisconsin this weekend and sent one of the guys over to pick up a duck bill cap with "the part number". They also work for fuel tank caps. He came back with the old BRP cap. So check to make sure you have a duck bill cap. A PAASO definitely air flows.

Last edited:

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Real World Test for Oil Consumption - Stock Cap vs. Passo Cap

I ride a 2014 polaris pro 800. I rode the exact same location for my testing each time with the same type of riding(boondocking and hill climbing at just under 10k feet).

With Stock Cap
I filled the oil tank up to a certain spot (about 3/4 full) and used the stock cap. I burned a total of 10.5 gallons of fuel before filling the oil tank back up to the exact same spot. It took 36 oz of oil. 37.33:1 ratio

With Passo Cap
I filled the oil tank up to a certain spot (about 3/4 full) and used the Passo cap. I burned a total of 8.5 gallons of fuel before filling the oil tank back up to the exact same spot. It took 42 oz of oil. 25.9:1 ratio

That's 31% more oil consumed with the Passo cap vs the Stock cap!

Question.... Is 37:1 allowing enough oil(it seems like that is plenty but I really don't know)

Thought.... Even if 37:1 is enough does the stock cap allow the right amount of oil at the right time? When I'm going up an incline and WOT does the steelie even touch the vent tube in the cap? If it doesn't than the sled might be starving for oil at the most critical time!

Maybe it's worth $50 maybe it's not. For me I like the piece of mind.

Would like to hear others reactions to these results. Thanks

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
If I remember correctly the original thread by TRS, had the word alternative, not must have. Anyway.
Two Pro's, truck, trailer, gear, tools, shop building. $$$$$$$
Two oil caps $31! I bought two. With plastic!:noidea:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
My buddy turned both of our oilers up just under two turns. We were runnin approximately 45:1 for several trips. We both went to the skidoo oil cap and I think he's running 30:1. I'm running 35:1 fairly consistently.

With Stock Cap
I filled the oil tank up to a certain spot (about 3/4 full) and used the stock cap. I burned a total of 10.5 gallons of fuel before filling the oil tank back up to the exact same spot. It took 36 oz of oil. 37.33:1 ratio

With Passo Cap
I filled the oil tank up to a certain spot (about 3/4 full) and used the Passo cap. I burned a total of 8.5 gallons of fuel before filling the oil tank back up to the exact same spot. It took 42 oz of oil. 25.9:1 ratio

Thanks!

Nice to have empirical data for the thread.

Pretty hard to argue with the validity of a mod. that costs peanuts that promotes the longevity of the engine.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
sled brand new and did 200 miles with stock cap. was 70:1

installed doo cap last week and did 170 miles with doo cap. 49:1

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Ordered the Doo cap for my '15 RMK 800. I'm running at 36:1 so far at 150 miles. I'm happy with that. Everything else is stock. Haven't changed the pump position from factory. I don't have data on the stock cap because I never ran it. However, this seems out of the ordinary based on what people are posting their oil usage with the stock cap, so I'll put the cause on the Doo cap....either way, I'm running a healthy amount of oil right from the beginning, and if the cap did or didn't do anything, well, that's $15 well spent if you ask me.

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
I started running the paaso cap this year. The theory of it makes sense and he posted a vid on facebook showing the issue. 50 bux seems like cheap insurance.

Premium Features