• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamie - Reliability, Power, Fun ?

Y
Alright, as an Arctic Cat guy, I was curious. My local Yamie dealer is running some KILLER deals on Yamaha Nytro MTX Mountain Sleds.

If I was to come to the dark side, (hehehehe), how would I like it?

Are they reliable?

Does Yamaha stand behind their product if you have a problem?

How are they as far as upgradeability (and performance modding) ?

I know that the 3-cylinder 4-stroke looks a little down on power compared to my 700 2 stroke... how do they feel in comparison?

My Oil guzzler's making 140hp, but isn't as reliable as a 4-stroke (IE rebuilds, etc)

I just wanted to see if I could get some comments from owners, and people that have had some time on them. I haven't had a chance to ride one yet, but if I was to drop $10K on a sled, would this be the right choice?

The newer Cat's are bad ***, don't get me wrong, but they've got some major belt munching issues, and quite frankly cat's warranty service ****ing SUCKS.

So..... comments? Complaints?

Lemmie' hear em!

Thanks in advance!!

-Matt

:beer;:beer;:beer;

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
You won't be disappointed. I too thought long and hard about coming over but after getting some seat time that was all it took. I have since put a turbo on it and in my opinion it is second to none. The sled is easy to throw around, the motor is torquey and the sled is reliable. I know others will beg to differ but you cannot get 250-270 turbo horsepower out of a two-stroke on pump gas and it be reliable. Believe me, if I could have gotten the same Hp out of my XP and not had issues I would have done it, but after reading ALOT of threads I knew I made the right decision. Don't get me wrong, I will not put down another mans sled as we're all just in it to ride. But I know what I like and I have a good feeling for what works and the Nytro works for me. Yes the track could be better, but for 2010 Yamaha has made great improvements in their sleds. And any 2 stroke rider that tells you 4 strokes are pigs and you won't like it has probably never owned one and put some serious miles on one. Trust me, you won't be disappointed and you'll ask yourself what took you so long.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Warranty is very good, mine included a 4 year warranty. One year plus 3 year extended (YES). I believe there might even be some deals out there that include a 4 year YES plan, for a total of 5 years. Dosn't get any better then that!
As far as horsepower goes, they rate it a 130 hp sled. However they really dyno out to 135-140 hp. My last sled was a ported/piped Viper that ran around 160 hp. I thought I would miss the power, but the Nytro has such a wide power band its feels just as strong up to about 75-80 mph.
I know a lot of guys on this forum like to boost them, and the boosted ones I have been on are impressive! But I don't feel that they are under powered in stock form either.
Nytros like most Yamahas, respond very well to mods. Lots of light weight stuff on the market, turbo kits, supercharger kit, suspension kits, etc. A guy can really mod'em up AND still have a reliable sled!
If you get an 08 or 09 MTX first thing I would do is change the track out to a Camo extreme or power claw. Stock Maverick = not so good, the lugs fold over very easy.

S

Swelly

They love mods. Extremely reliable. My 2 stroke pals hate how good of mileage I get, not to mention ease of maint, or lack there of. I have 09 MTX and only 2 things I do not like. Stock track sucks. And the hand warmers are sub par. The hand warmers are a easy fix.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=587715#587715 Click here to cure the hand warmer issue. This guy has the kit that makes them work great.

Seems most guys are switching the track to the Challenger Extreme. That is my plan this fall.

You will not be disappointed. There are several groups that do things for the Yammi's. Also check out the forum TY4 Stroke. Nothing but 4strokes and everyone there is awesome.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/index.php

Good luck, and happy riding.

P
Jan 2, 2008
Well thanks guys for that info, I am pretty well sold on it. Even though I have not ridden one, but maybe the dealer might have a demo for me to take out for a spin. I wonder if he will take my 06' Summit on trade, but I might try to sell it.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
I just switched from an Apex to an M8. I loved the reliablity of the Yammie and the fit and finish is unreal on that sled. The thing I couldn't deal with was the weight. It is much heavier than the 2 smokes. The motor is crazy and makes unreal power, but it takes some getting used to. The engine braking is nice in situations, but can pizz you off when you almost go the bars when you let off the gas.

I don't understand why they don't do things to make that sled lighter. There are so many basic things they could do like: seat, rear suspension, track, running boards, exhuast, etc.

Great sled, better reliablity, but too heavy for my weak ***.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I'm planning on throwing my leg over a Nytro for next season as well. If you haven't ridden one, they are a blast! It feels like way more than 130hp and from what I understand with some clutching it feels like even more. They don't feel nearly as heavy as they are (unless it's stuck :rolleyes: ). The chassis to me is a very close second to the Polaris IQ. They tip and carve very easily.Everyone seems to agree they are a great boondocking sled. Not the greatest climber though, but there are a few things one can do to improve that.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Like Headrush I bought a new M8 Sno Pro this year.

That's not to say I sold my Yamaha. I was tired of two stroke related engine issues when I was in the market for a sled in 02. The then new RX-1M appealed to me. I have now ridden mine for 7 seasons without one issue. No kidding, no engine related issues, no clutching related issues, no electrically related issues, etc. It's never been towed out of the mountains but, it has sure towed out alot of others.

My RX-1M has pretty much everything lightweight. It has a Wildchild rider forward mod with a 7" Nytro riser with the speedometer up on the bars, a 162" x 16" Camo Extreme track, a M7 rear skid, Apex mountains skis, Holz front end and a Boss seat. I love the sled but, like Headrush, I absolutely love the reliability but, I'm getting older and weaker and wanted to try a lighter sled that wasn't so tough on my body after a weekend of boondocking.

The new M8 certainly is lighter and I do not feel nearly as beat up after a long day of boondocking but, it certainly isn't nearly as well built as a Yamaha. For instance. My M8 (since it's a Sno Pro) had a white front bumper/bellypan) that doesn't work well for boondocking so I ordered a black one to install. The fasteners on the bottom rear of the front end were black sheetmetal screws sticking up from the bottom of the sled (you can see them on any M sled below the A arms). Yamaha just doesn't fasten things like this. Yes, it's lighter but, Yamaha would have used nutserts with bolts to hold the belly pan on.

I have ended up back at the truck on fumes virtually every ride on my M-8 after never having to haul gas on my RX-1M. I just ordered a Mountain Addiction gas rack for the M8 to extend the fun. Trade offs.

Like I said on the Arctic Cat forum. Life is full of tradeoffs.

Yes they are certainly working on the weight issue but, it still seems that with Yamaha reliability comes at least some unwanted weight.

With the two stroke sleds you trade in at least a portion of that reliability for lightweight flickability.

Chose your poison.

I chose a Arctic Cat after year of calling them "Ditch Pickles" because the XP related engine and clutch related issues scared me away and the 09 Polaris Dragon 800s didn't seem to be faring much better. The Cats seem to be the most reliable (engine issues anyway) of the two strokes.

I plan on keeping both sleds for now and letting the cards fall where they may.

Y
Like Headrush I bought a new M8 Sno Pro this year.

That's not to say I sold my Yamaha. I was tired of two stroke related engine issues when I was in the market for a sled in 02. The then new RX-1M appealed to me. I have now ridden mine for 7 seasons without one issue. No kidding, no engine related issues, no clutching related issues, no electrically related issues, etc. It's never been towed out of the mountains but, it has sure towed out alot of others.

My RX-1M has pretty much everything lightweight. It has a Wildchild rider forward mod with a 7" Nytro riser with the speedometer up on the bars, a 162" x 16" Camo Extreme track, a M7 rear skid, Apex mountains skis, Holz front end and a Boss seat. I love the sled but, like Headrush, I absolutely love the reliability but, I'm getting older and weaker and wanted to try a lighter sled that wasn't so tough on my body after a weekend of boondocking.

The new M8 certainly is lighter and I do not feel nearly as beat up after a long day of boondocking but, it certainly isn't nearly as well built as a Yamaha. For instance. My M8 (since it's a Sno Pro) had a white front bumper/bellypan) that doesn't work well for boondocking so I ordered a black one to install. The fasteners on the bottom rear of the front end were black sheetmetal screws sticking up from the bottom of the sled (you can see them on any M sled below the A arms). Yamaha just doesn't fasten things like this. Yes, it's lighter but, Yamaha would have used nutserts with bolts to hold the belly pan on.

I have ended up back at the truck on fumes virtually every ride on my M-8 after never having to haul gas on my RX-1M. I just ordered a Mountain Addiction gas rack for the M8 to extend the fun. Trade offs.

Like I said on the Arctic Cat forum. Life is full of tradeoffs.

Yes they are certainly working on the weight issue but, it still seems that with Yamaha reliability comes at least some unwanted weight.

With the two stroke sleds you trade in at least a portion of that reliability for lightweight flickability.

Chose your poison.

I chose a Arctic Cat after year of calling them "Ditch Pickles" because the XP related engine and clutch related issues scared me away and the 09 Polaris Dragon 800s didn't seem to be faring much better. The Cats seem to be the most reliable (engine issues anyway) of the two strokes.

I plan on keeping both sleds for now and letting the cards fall where they may.

That's a bad *** review. :beer;:beer;

I'm currently riding a Ditch Pickle. Hahaha. I was considering an 08' M8 Sno pro 162, that's been modded with a Boondocker Box and exhaust & intake. However, there's a few MTX models for cheaper at the local dealership. That's what got me thinkin.

I really wish I could get a demo ride on one before the snow's gone. How in the hell are you supposed to try it before you buy it, when it's an hr drive to the snow? LOL.

We'll see what happens but I'm definitely looking to hopefully make a move a little bit later this year, or before next riding season.

I sure appreciate all the reviews, and thoughts. Keep em comin'.

-Matt

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Trade offs

I owned a 07 Cat 1000 that riped. Had zero problems and loved the boondocking.
I now own a T-Nitro and it's alot of work in the trees. However on a big hill its a blast.
From what I see both sleds are well built, and you couldn't go wrong with either one. I have also owned ski-Doo and polaris, they couldn't hold a candle to Cat or Yamaha.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I have been on a yami for a year now and I have to say i've had nothing but headaches and bad motors and bad parts and ovaled cylinders and headaches. I bought a yami cause I wanted to just put gas in it and ride and boy thats sure a myth. I suggest you dig deeeeeep before you buy anyones used sled or dig deeeeeeep about engine problems, turbo problems, bogs, misses, and belt issues, these money pits are NO different than any other piece of sh!t sled.

S
Dec 30, 2008
I have been on a yami for a year now and I have to say i've had nothing but headaches and bad motors and bad parts and ovaled cylinders and headaches. I bought a yami cause I wanted to just put gas in it and ride and boy thats sure a myth. I suggest you dig deeeeeep before you buy anyones used sled or dig deeeeeeep about engine problems, turbo problems, bogs, misses, and belt issues, these money pits are NO different than any other piece of sh!t sled.

Not true...
I've got 7 years on 'em. The last two years boosted at 16lbs...I've blown one bogey wheel...that's it...in 7 seasons.

Very true....
...dig deep before you buy anyone's used sled..

As per your signature....14lbs boost....stock motor....174" track.

It looks like this sled was forcing big power (1 bar = 300hp), onto a big track with a stock engine.

Not Yamaha's fault.

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
i agree with PR i see lots of these 4 strokes that have one issue after another at least the ones i have seen are just like any other sled you have to work on them to keep them going. now mind you i have not seen a single stock one so i can not comment on them. i have seen one mcx turbo apex go 2000 with no issues now nothing but. if not motor or turbo trouble the chassis trouble. my opinion they are not as bullet proof as people would like us to beleive. like all sleds some have more issues than other but almost all have some. but hey you want one get it ,ride it. gobbs of used one around with tons of money thrown at them for cheap prices, well cheap is according to what some have put into them.

Last edited:

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Hey I am just stating the facts, I ran good gas and didnt really push it that hard, I finally got the bigger injectors in it and got running hard and it started spitting antifreeze. I did buy this sled used and that new 6K outlaw motorsports motor lasted maybe 6-8 rides at 18-20 lbs, now that motor was built, je's, corillos. And that motor had no detonation issues, it dropped a couple valves and spit them through a brand new turbo on my 1st ride this year!!!,ruining a block, piston, head, cam, head cover and a $1300 turbo. So I am going on my third motor and not happy about it. I am going to spend the coin and purchase the hurricane sleaved block and try this one more time, then its for sale cheap it it fails. I have owned more moders than stockers in my time and this one by far has been pulled out the most!!! Start asking a few people, it will come out, how many motors has everyone been through?? How many head shims/gaskets, dobeck boxes? Warped/cracked headers??

Y
Well, seems like on the 2-smokers that every about 2,000 miles or so depending on how you ride you'll be pulling the top end apart to re-gasket and ring the pistons. The parts are fairly cheap, from what I've gathered so far.

I know that Yamaha bike engines are extremely reliable. Why so much trouble with their sled motors?

I owned a Yamaha YZF-R6 a few years ago, and the thing just WENT. No problems.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Hey I am just stating the facts, I ran good gas and didnt really push it that hard, I finally got the bigger injectors in it and got running hard and it started spitting antifreeze. I did buy this sled used and that new 6K outlaw motorsports motor lasted maybe 6-8 rides at 18-20 lbs, now that motor was built, je's, corillos. And that motor had no detonation issues, it dropped a couple valves and spit them through a brand new turbo on my 1st ride this year!!!,ruining a block, piston, head, cam, head cover and a $1300 turbo. So I am going on my third motor and not happy about it. I am going to spend the coin and purchase the hurricane sleaved block and try this one more time, then its for sale cheap it it fails. I have owned more moders than stockers in my time and this one by far has been pulled out the most!!! Start asking a few people, it will come out, how many motors has everyone been through?? How many head shims/gaskets, dobeck boxes? Warped/cracked headers??

I have two Apex's since '06 - one with an Impulse turbo running 15# on 50/50 and one NA with a diet. Combined mileage is well over 6K, not an issue with anything that came from Yamaha. Only thing that I have had to do is replace some scratchers:). About the only thing that I don't do are any big jumps/drops (well not intentionally anyway:D). Had a POS MPI SC on one for a season, had a few issues with the SC, not the sled itself.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
I got 4300km on my stock apex and have had two issues. The head on the bolt holding the lower gear on the drive shaft in the chain case snapped off. Eventually the lower gear worked it's way off the shaft and I needed a tow out. I had it repaired that morning by Ghostriders in Fernie and finished the day riding.

The other issue was I had to re-build my front shocks. They froze fully compressed Dec. 08. Not much of an issue after 4300kms of abuse!

It's no master of the hill climb but there's not much else I wouldn't do on it. On hard snow it's a handfull but on any snow you can trench with the track it will carve.

I ride the trees/boondock all day and most of my riding buddies are on XPs or Revs. We try and ride away from each other all day, they ain't having much luck!

I burn about a litre of oil a season.

I agree thay could do a lot to improve the weight of the Apex - why should I have to do it after shelling out $12k to buy it.

The nytro is more manuverable that the Apex and with a 162" track under it it would be a hell of a boondocker!

l8r Shawn.

Premium Features