• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xp nun rivets

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
2 questions
i cracked my nun on the right hand side behind the can

1 : what drill bit do i need to drill out the steel rivets? i have drilled all the alluminum ones with regular drill bits but i came across sum that are steel...

2 : once i have the old nun out and ready to put the new one back in ... can i use small 8 grade bolts instead of the large steel rivets ? if not why ?

thx ....

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Whenever I've worked on my tunnels, I had a hard time getting directly through the center of the self piercing rivets, so I ground both sides off them then drove the centers out with the right size punch, worked better for me and was clean removal of all the old rivet.

Used 1/4" or 3/16" Avex rivets to replace, love pulling those avexs with the air rivet gun.They look very nice and are locked on.:beer;:D

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
We use an air hammer with a flat chisel tip. Then use bolts with a flanged nylon nut. Are you replacing the nun or the E module? It sounds like the E module if you are referring to just behind the can.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Whenever I've worked on my tunnels, I had a hard time getting directly through the center of the self piercing rivets, so I ground both sides off them then drove the centers out with the right size punch, worked better for me and was clean removal of all the old rivet..:beer;:D

what he did more times than I want to admit..

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
yeah roger got all the rivets out just now thx all for the input soooo happy to hear i can use bolts and nuts ..... and yeah its the one behind the can so that would be the E moudal i guess

C

crashleroux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO but they shipped me to Pocatello
I was always trained to use like rivets.....not sure on the bolts, did that once on some rear suspension mounts and they made bigger holes as they wore. I just reinstalled the same piece and went to Fastenal and bought stainless steel rivets, they leave a nice factory look to them. Of course if you have to hand pull them not the best option. Good luck, I love the grind them off and hit them with the hammer and punch trick, except my knuckle always seems sore afterwards!!!!! Oh sh!t am I supposed to hit the punch with the hammer.... good luck

Premium Features