• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who makes the best two ways?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Saw one on FB a swap meet group today for about $125 or 150.

What do they go for retail?

Edit: retail is 149.95

Last edited:

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Doesn't anyone else find the Rino screen to small for practical use? I used one last season and went back to a Montana and a BCA Link. Better GPS, better radio.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I use the rino 610 and 650. Had used the less expensive 120's, which really serve a a decent 2 way. The 610 and 650 are nice, I don't find issue with the screen size. My gripe is the battery (lithium) on the 650. In 2 years I've bought 2 batteries. They have to be maintained when not in use. Or they lose too much charge to be charged back up.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
nregistered said:
Baofeng now makes 8 watt versions of the UV-5r - new model numbers followed by "Tri-Power" basically the same radio . These can be programmed to work with BCA Link, Garmin Rino (the radio functions, not the GPS) and pretty much any other radio out there.

http://www.americanpreppersnetworkra...-radio-to.html

I'm using the bff8hp with a baofeng speaker mic and the 3600 mah battery. have the same setup for my wife. everyone else in the group uses the bf888 with a speaker mic. all really good and inexpensive radios. I can setup a six pack of the bf888's for the cost of one link and have better range to boot. for GPS I use my s3 running Backcountry navigator.

have a look at beartooth radio they are saying mid 2015 release. use your smart phone as a rino like device. they refuse to give an idea of cost.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
everybody wants to know how far FRS gmrs radios will talk. here is a link with some explanation and estimates of distance one should be able to get with a 5 WATT radio. the bca link is 1\2 watt and has a fixed non removable antenna.... no way to improve it.
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_HowFar2.php

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I personally use a rino 650 best of both worlds with gps and a high quality radio. I really also like the bca radios

SledGuru

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
bigbone said:
Does anyboby know if they make a gmrs -frs 5 watt radio that is bluetooth?

yes and no....sort of maybe. there are 5 watt radios that can be programmed with FRS gmrs freq. there is also a Bluetooth device that plugs in place of a speaker mic. can be done with the baofeng uv5r type radio. last time I looked the Bluetooth thing was $85. I'd guess that it uses vox and I don't think that will work well on a noisy operation like sled'n.

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
Another thumbs up for the BCA Link radios. Our group bought three of them before last trip. Can hear the speaker while riding, clear. Nice not having to pull out of pockets to use, etc

The only issue we had was with the batteries. One of the days 2 of us didn't recharge batteries (meter said they were fine) and at the end of that day, the two of us couldn't transmit. We could hear, but not transmit. It was a cold "zero deg" day. Could TX when radios warmed up. Solution - just make sure you plug in at the end of each day. Also would help to keep near body to keep warm. We had them in our packs.

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
yes and no....sort of maybe. there are 5 watt radios that can be programmed with FRS gmrs freq. there is also a Bluetooth device that plugs in place of a speaker mic. can be done with the baofeng uv5r type radio. last time I looked the Bluetooth thing was $85. I'd guess that it uses vox and I don't think that will work well on a noisy operation like sled'n.

I seen them bluetooth gismos but just wanted to go from a helmet communicator to a radio and skip all the extra wires. My end result would be a hands free 5 watt helmet communicator with no wires to my helmet.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Another thumbs up for the BCA Link radios. Our group bought three of them before last trip. Can hear the speaker while riding, clear. Nice not having to pull out of pockets to use, etc

The only issue we had was with the batteries. One of the days 2 of us didn't recharge batteries (meter said they were fine) and at the end of that day, the two of us couldn't transmit. We could hear, but not transmit. It was a cold "zero deg" day. Could TX when radios warmed up. Solution - just make sure you plug in at the end of each day. Also would help to keep near body to keep warm. We had them in our packs.

Not the battery. They were Froze up, especially if there was some pow that day. I know of at least 10 peeps with these radios and we've all seen the same fully charged or 2-3 days in. We took one apart and found it was full of water.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
bigbone said:
Quote:

I seen them bluetooth gismos but just wanted to go from a helmet communicator to a radio and skip all the extra wires. My end result would be a hands free 5 watt helmet communicator with no wires to my helmet.
I fully understand your idea. have tried to find a solution too. in the end I'm putting the radio in my pack and a speaker mic on the shoulder strap. I take the extra step of placing the radio so that the antenna is poking out through the zipper. it works fairly well on the mountain. I don't need to talk while moving and the mic PTT is glove friendly. set the volume to 80% zip it in and ride. if someone needs help, I can usually hear the call, if I don't understand what was said, stop and ask for a repeat. heck of a lot better than having a radio in your pocket!

a riding buddy that has my setup, was with a different group. 10 sleds. 1 fellow got separated. found his way to the wrong parking lot. meanwhile the other 9 spent 2 hrs searching...... the lost guy neglected to bring a radio....

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
question for the bca link users.
does it have a time out timer? that shuts off the transmitter after a set time? a buried guy with the PTT button pressed by the snow could possibly be a horrible thing. might completely screw the beacon receiver. something to think about. if it is an option, I highly recommend turning on the tot.

Premium Features