• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who makes the best two ways?

cadams

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
ND
Just looking for some insight on backcountry two ways. Preferably ones that pack into the backpack and the mic strapped seperate to the shoulder strap of the backpack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I ran a set of the BCA Links last winter. They worked pretty well. Waterproof for sure... My only complaint is that the channel knob is too easy to rotate by accident and puts you out of communication. I'm just going to electrical tape the knob this season so I know it will stay where I put it.

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/product/bc-link-2/

Motodrew

Lifetime Membership
My group purchased the BCA link radios this year. The price is fairly reasonable and the product has exceeded our expectations. The mic is glove friendly and has been reliable on the wet days. Unless you want to spend more money on a GPS/2 way radio, the BCA would be my recommendation.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
You may want to check these out
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=296_35&products_id=1274
They are both uhf/vhf they come with some gmrs channels pre programmed and you can also programme the others in your self. Dual band scan can monitor 2 channels at the same time(one uhf one vhf if need be) Has a longer range then most others that i have tried. Can be set to monitor road frequency when traveling haul roads. Also have a fm radio built in.
I have mine wired to speakers in my helmet with a mic and push to talk button strapped to my avy vest. One can also get a mic to strap to your shoulder if you prefer that.can be used on the repeaters.
I also got the longer antenna for even longer range transmissions

Last edited:
C
Apr 12, 2009
Liberty Lake, WA
Personally, I use the Garmin Rino's. I like being being able to locate my friends that are also using them. When in a tight tree pack, it saves a bunch of searching time. I got a push-to-talk mic off of eBay and it works great.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Personally, I use the Garmin Rino's. I like being being able to locate my friends that are also using them. When in a tight tree pack, it saves a bunch of searching time. I got a push-to-talk mic off of eBay and it works great.

What mic did you get?

cadams

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
ND
How do these work while riding.. If I was brapping through the trees and my buddy wanted to get a hold of me could I hear it.? Secondly. How many radios will work together.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada

Rinos are nice I have 2 myself, but try convincing most that they need a $500 plus gps/radio. It's not easy.

nm2708

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
Mott ND
My riding group uses rinos as well. Great investment. The old 120's work pretty good but a few of us have been upgrading to the 610. If you get your buddies to spend the $300+ with you, I promise you won't be disappointed.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
If your just communicating the bca works good. But we went to the rino. Great for finding a rider stuck in the trees, nice to have the radio and gps in one unit
650t works great

C
Apr 12, 2009
Liberty Lake, WA
What mic did you get?
This has worked good:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-held-Shoulder-Mic-Speaker-For-Garmin-GPS-Radio-Rino-610-Rino-655-/170862749947?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Microphones&hash=item27c836a8fb
How do these work while riding.. If I was brapping through the trees and my buddy wanted to get a hold of me could I hear it.? Secondly. How many radios will work together.

I have not had a problem hearing it. I keep the microphone as high up on the strap as possible.
Rinos are nice I have 2 myself, but try convincing most that they need a $500 plus gps/radio. It's not easy.

eBay is a great place to find used ones for a good price. I used to have a 530 HCX, but I switched to the 120 and did the Ski-Doo Montana dash-mount for my primary GPS.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This has worked good:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-held-S...US_Radio_Comm_Microphones&hash=item27c836a8fb

I have not had a problem hearing it. I keep the microphone as high up on the strap as possible.

eBay is a great place to find used ones for a good price. I used to have a 530 HCX, but I switched to the 120 and did the Ski-Doo Montana dash-mount for my primary GPS.

I have a pair of 530HCx units.
Would like to get me hands on one of the new 655t and give that a try.!

skibumsd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
By far go with the garmin rino. I have 2 650 and love them, we dont go outside without them anymore. The reason i spent the big bucks on the 650 was that you can download satellite imagery for your map. Its kinda cool to look at the gps and know what is over the next 2 ridges or where there is a meadow etc etc, but not necesarry if you dont want to drop that much cash. That feature is very nice for hunting if your in to that also. Being able to locate your riding partners is invaluable to me. We have spent the better part of many riding days looking for someone that took a wrong turn or got stuck, that just does not happen anymore with the rinos. One feature that not many people use on them is the text feature. You can send text messages b/w the radios. Works great to get ahold of your riding partners or send them a message without having to sit there with the radio in your hand trying to get them to call back. Just send the message and when they look at there radio they see it. You can communicate with over 12 at a time i think maybe even more?

S
Nov 5, 2014
Denver, CO
i second the rino suggestion, me and my brother bought the 655 this year, everytime one us gets stuck, it takes minutes to locate vs searching. we dont have ear pieces either, we keep it in the front pocket of the jacket, but when you send out your location it is very easy to hear the "ping" sound. it is a little bit more $$, but when you use it the first time you'll wonder how you ever rode without them. talked everyone else we ride with to get them. just awesome...

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
BCA links are a great concept and work great when they work. It seems on the deep days either the speaker freezes up, the mic freezes up or the key freezes on... Pretty disapointed in how weather tight they are.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
sledheadd said:
You may want to check these out
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1274
They are both uhf/vhf they come with some gmrs channels pre programmed and you can also programme the others in your self. Dual band scan can monitor 2 channels at the same time(one uhf one vhf if need be) Has a longer range then most others that i have tried. Can be set to monitor road frequency when traveling haul roads. Also have a fm radio built in.
I have mine wired to speakers in my helmet with a mic and push to talk button strapped to my avy vest. One can also get a mic to strap to your shoulder if you prefer that.can be used on the repeaters.
I also got the longer antenna for even longer range transmissions

the rugged radios are just a baofeng uv-5r. good radios. but, you can buy on amazon for much less $. program them yourself. easy to do just need a cable. software is free. for info and reviews go to miklor.com

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

Premium Features