• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who is/was your favorite supergroup?

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Well, OK then, what have either of the other two done since then?
OK, one album again with Clapton in Blind Faith, but how many of you ever even heard of that group - let alone any singles from them?
THAT (Can't Find my way Home) is one song that they could play on Classic Rock radio that can replace at least one Zep song!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I dissagree that Cream is a Supergroup.

Clapton was the only one in there that anyone would have known prior.

Sure, the other names are now recognizable and have gone down in history, but rather from being in THIS band, and not what they did prior.

Yes, Cream was earlier than CSN/Y, but that is like saying that Zep is a Supergroup - when the only one that anyone knew prior was Page.

In that light - The Firm would actually be the Supergroup.
Quote from Wiki...
"Cream were a British rock band formed in London in 1966. The group consisted of bassist Jack Bruce, guitarist Eric Clapton, and drummer Ginger Baker. Bruce was the primary songwriter and vocalist, although Clapton and Baker also sang and contributed songs. Formed from members of previously successful bands, they are widely regarded as the world's first supergroup"

Now in fairness, I cannot name any of their previous bands either, so...

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
But Mafesto you have pretty good taste in music so just a little surprise that you have never come across any of their music even it if it was before your time. or maybe you did and just did not realize who was performing it. I believe you are right about Cream I think they were late 60's i was 4 y/o btw
No, I got into CSN (more than CSN&Y) and knew Nash was with the Hollies, but didn't know anything about the other members pasts.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
There is a great cover of FWIW by Shaw/Blades, who ironically were the core of Damn Yankees.
See what I did there?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Typically originals are better than covers.
The harmony created by Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades is so spot on and takes these classics to another level.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I loved their "Hallucination" album.
Bought "Influence"as soon as it was released and was disappointed when I realized it was all covers. Didn't take long for it to become one of my favorite albums.
What is interesting is the originals were softer rock than what I was into at their respective time, but Shaw Blades really did a better job on all of the songs and enlightened my musical taste.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
I saw the "Brothers Seals" Tour (or some such name)

That would have been Dan Seals, who was originally of "England Dan and John Ford Coley" and then of course on his own (and sometimes known to have been in Montana with some cute chickety) and then the other brother was of Seals and Crofts. Small town theater, and a LOT of material to play from. Wish that I had a video replay from that night!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
England Dan and John Ford Coley was the first concert I attended! (College campus, small theater, great venue)

My mom and sister took me because they felt bad that I was supposed to see Alice Cooper earlier that year but that show was canceled.
So this little AC fan was turned on to light rock ... a little anyway.

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
England Dan and John Ford Coley was the first concert I attended! (College campus, small theater, great venue)

My mom and sister took me because they felt bad that I was supposed to see Alice Cooper earlier that year but that show was canceled.
So this little AC fan was turned on to light rock ... a little anyway.

This must have been a ED/JFC Reunion Tour?

Or, are you sure that Dan was actually part of the concert?
B/c John Ford Coley still tours to this day.
I believe that his new stuff is most (all?) Christian music now.
I don't know how good, but my guess is that it sounds pretty good eh?

So I got here just now and I had a notice of "trophy".
???
So I clicked on it and I am getting congratulated for having 1000 posts!
Really ... (popcorn GIF here) Like I'm a newbie....
I had >14,000 count back 10 years ago. (yawn)

Yeah, I've seen Alice. Oct 30 1987.

I was snickering to myself the other day when I seen my wife turn up the radio on some XM channel and it was one of those really easy ballads by Alice.
"I cannot believe that they actually play Alice on this channel, but OK..."

A few years ago the FM went out in my old truck, and me and my boy were heading north with snowmachines on the back. Since it is nigh impossible to find music on AM anymore, I was relegated to the tape deck, and I scrounged up an old Alice tape, and I thunk to myself _ hmmmmm....
It was Alice Cooper Goes to Hell, and I cued up one of those easy/NOT Alice songs, and I squirreled it away.

So as we were heading north together, I slipped out this tape and shoved it in the player and said:
"See if'n yuh can figger out who this is?"

He listened all the way through and when it was done he said that he really had no clue, but the closest that he could come was Alice Cooper.
The kid got it!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
This must have been a ED/JFC Reunion Tour?

Or, are you sure that Dan was actually part of the concert?
This was when they were in their heyday. Pretty sure it was 1977
LeBlanc & Carr opened for them.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Ox, you mentioned Buffalo Springfield.
Didn't their demise bring us Poco? Are they a "Supergroup"?

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
OK, so:

A) You are obviously NOT too young to know the ins and outs of CSN/Y.

B) I'm not of the mind that there is anything "super" about Poco nor Bad English.

C) I kan't say that I ever even heard of that last one. You got me on that one.
But yuh know what - listening to the Top 40 Countdown "The 70's", I find it really interesting how there are some songs that made it quite a way up the charts, and possibly even to #1, and for whatever reason - they just didn't have the staying power to have any air time within just a few years, if that. Songs that you don't remember at all, that were WAY higher up any charts than the ones that we consider HUGE classics to this day.

D) Van Hagar has got to be one of the biggest let-downs on the 80's!
How doo you take 1984 and VOA, put them in a bag and shake them up, and poor out Skyscraper and 5150?
How is that even possible?

E) You doo know that very arguably (by those who know or care about this stuff) consider a lefty as the best guitar player ever.
Hint - he was not "God".

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
OK, so:

A) You are obviously NOT too young to know the ins and outs of CSN/Y.

B) I'm not of the mind that there is anything "super" about Poco nor Bad English.

C) I kan't say that I ever even heard of that last one. You got me on that one.
But yuh know what - listening to the Top 40 Countdown "The 70's", I find it really interesting how there are some songs that made it quite a way up the charts, and possibly even to #1, and for whatever reason - they just didn't have the staying power to have any air time within just a few years, if that. Songs that you don't remember at all, that were WAY higher up any charts than the ones that we consider HUGE classics to this day.

D) Van Hagar has got to be one of the biggest let-downs on the 80's!
How doo you take 1984 and VOA, put them in a bag and shake them up, and poor out Skyscraper and 5150?
How is that even possible?

E) You doo know that very arguably (by those who know or care about this stuff) consider a lefty as the best guitar player ever.
Hint - he was not "God".
A. I'm 55
B. It's subjective, so there is not a wrong opinion. That said, in my opinion John Waite is one of the most underated lead vocalists.
E. I actually can't think of any left handed guitar players! McCartney is a lefty bass player and I would guess he also plays guitar?

Premium Features