• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has the best helmet Camera?

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
You could do that with the standard mounts it comes with, and flip the camera into upside down mode. I don't think it will fit though there isn't enough room, it would be hanging down in front of your goggles

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
You could do that with the standard mounts it comes with, and flip the camera into upside down mode. I don't think it will fit though there isn't enough room, it would be hanging down in front of your goggles

I don't have the camera yet so I didn't know the camera had an upside down mode. I think I can modify the bill to accommodate what I'm wanting to do, it just seems like it would be the right place for the camera. Thanks

mountain_tamer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rimbey, Alberta
Another shout out to Contour. I love mine.

But if I were to get another camera I would look at Drift Innovations Ghost HD.

Can see playback on the camera so you can see if its aligned properly and comes with a nice handle bar mountable remote switch.

Also with Drift and Contour you don't need a special waterproof case. They already are weather proof

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
One feature I do like and would get in a camera is the wifi option where you can connect your camera to your phone via an app and view your videos, pics, see where your camera is pointing, control the functions of the camera and share your pics and video without loading them on a computer.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I agree the wifi option is so awesome. Got it with my gopro and it is a lot of fun. Especially goofing off in my house with my roommates. For example once I rigged it up and hid it in one's room. Hid in the closet and when they came downstairs I set it to start recording and jumped out. Also thought it would be fun to set it up in the kitchen and when I heard someone making food I would turn it on to see what they were making then yell and ask them to make me one of whatever it was. Took them awhile to figure out how I magically knew what they were making every time.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
I like the JVC Addixxion AAX2.
1080p at 60fps,
a build in screen so you can actually see what it's aimed at,
Universal mounting even takes normal tripod,
goggle mounts, removable battery is good because you can carry spares,
Might be worth checking out

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
This Sony seems pretty legit.
Arguably has the best image, best sound quality and no doubt the best stabilization. You can also mount it on the side of your helmet which is a downfall of the Gopro IMO.

Cameras tested:
GoPro Hero 3+ Black
Sony Action Cam 2 (HDR-AS30V)
JVC Adixxion GC-XA2
Garmin VIRB Elite
Drift Ghost-S
Ion Air Pro 3

Last edited:
C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
I have the Contour Roam 2 camera and I love it, but also hate it!

On bright sunny days - Great footage and great quality on videos.

Later on day/dawn - Video looks like you are filming in total blackout and all you see are the others headlights or tail lights.

Night time - Well look above and you can tell for your self. The only time of day I can use the cam, are on bright daylight and days with clear weather.
I hate that I have to hook it up to the computer to adjust the camera. The camera is simple to use, simple to adjust the angle if films because of the built in laser. But thats it! What I do like about it, is that it don`t poke a lot out of my helmet and it does not hook into branches or anything while riding in the woods :)

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
I have a liquid image ego and it works pretty good. Dirtcheapsnow.com has them on sale right now for$89 I think they are well worth it for that price. a buddy of mine has an older go pro and we both think the liquid image ego takes a better picture.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
i have been a big fan of the contour for several years, i like the style and the mounting options, use it for sledding in the winter and surfing in the summer, this year i used the new gopro i was impressed with the video quality of the gopro, was waiting to pick up a new camera was hoping the new owners of contour would be upgrading the contour, not impressed with the video quality seems the other companys have stepped up there game. anyone hear if there is anything new coming

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Just used my new contour roam 2 this weekend. I have an old contour 720p and 1080p as well.

I also have a go pro hero 3 black and a hero HD.

I don't like my hero 3 unless its chest mounted i cant feel the buttons or tell if its on or not. The contours are so much easier to use on the helmet with gloves on. My hero 3 also HATES cold weather, shuts off after about 5 minutes. Never had a problem with the contour's in the cold.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Contour fan here as well. Mostly used on my helmet and easy to operate with a gloved hand. It is a mute point to say GoPro has more mounts because I bought an adapter so I can use both Contour and GoPro mounts with my Contour camera.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I use the Liquid Image Ego. It has built in Wifi which is handy for aiming and viewing whats on the camera while out in the field.

Upsides:
Great Picture video quality
Size
Battery Life
WIFI
Low Price
Easy to use
Micro USB card slot
Micro HDMI connection
USB

Downsides:
Their marketing budget is no where near Go Pro
Buttons are kind of small which makes starting and stoping a little more difficult
built in battery so would have to use USB charger Booster after the 3 hour run time runs out.

Here is a good alternative to brand G and probably the best price per quality and features out there. Including WIFI and free smart phone app.

• Perfect camera designed for extreme sports enthusiasts
A mini-sized Mountable camera that records HD video and is Wi-Fi enabled
• Slim profile will fit in the palm of your hand, measures 1.6” x 1.2” x 2.5” high, less likely to be knocked off by tree branches or flying debris
• Capture 12.0 MP photos and Full HD 1080P videos hands free
• Cutting edge image stabilization technology
• Continuous photo mode takes pictures every 2-3 seconds
• Also records HD 720P at 60 frames per second, 1080P at 30 frames per second for smooth video capture
• Wi-Fi enabled to work with Smart Phones, Tablets and Computers- can control up to 5 units at the same time
• No extra wireless module attachment needed for live wireless streaming, wi-fi range is 100 meters line of sight
• The Ego will accept up to a 32GB micro SDHC card, to record thousands of still images or hours of video
• The camera includes a rechargeable Battery. Estimated battery performance is 1.5 – 2.0 hours of video
• Includes a clear protective cover, universal flat surface mount, and 1 additional adhesive pad
• Many different mounts available for attaching the Ego to many different surfaces making this camera useable in virtually any sport you participate in
• Waterproof housing also available for wet conditions

http://www.gobigparts.com/Cameras-Helmet-Video.html

ego-cameras.jpg

Found this on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZcSCT4VxdY%5DEgo EGO vs GoPro Hero3 Black Edition - Driving Comparison - YouTube

Last edited:
Premium Features