• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Welder to buy?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I want to buy a welder for small garage projects. 95% of what I want to do would be less than 1/4" material thickness, with maybe 5% of stuff being 1/4".

It would be nice to be able to weld aluminum, but since that is a tricky operation anyhow and I don't have an immediate need, this option isn't mandatory.

I'm old school and have only used stik welders in the past, but I hear that wire feed is the only way to go.

Also, single phase power is a plus as I don't have the garage wired for more. I have a 20 amp circuit in garage, with GFI.

Having said all that, I'm thinking the Hobart Handler 140 would give me the most versatility but I would consider other makes/models as well.

What do you think?

W
Jan 2, 2008
alum take a lot of juice to weld, I suggest you look into putting 220 in your shop its not that hard

if you decide to do yourself the favor of running 220v then I suggest the hobart handler 210v, from all the reviews I've read its the best welder for alum in its catagory (with optional spool gun)

if your not gonna wire 220v then I got no suggestions, havn't researched for 110v

I been shopping for a welder too, not ready to pull the trigger just yet because I'd then havta buy a bottle, helm and all the other crap to go with it then I wouldn't get my car paid off :p

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Stop by your local welding supply store.
Allow them to guide you on your buying decision.
That way consumables and answers to questions will be readily available.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I would go with a 220 welder like others have said. Nice thing is you can always opt for a spool gun on them later to weld aluminum. Plus the prices have really come down on them. As for wiring the garage it wont be a big deal to pull a 220 out there.

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
we just got a millermatic 252 not to long ago and absolutly love it...it can weld up to 1/2 inch with no problem and also can weld aluminum but i think you would need to buy a spool gun with it then. it is a 220 volt and very nice unit

my uncle owns a welding shop and said he does 80-85% of his welding on this one

heres a link or it...
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_252/

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
lincoln makes a real good 110 stick welder...can handle 5/32 rod...forget the name of the welder though...just know its a lincoln..

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I have a 110 wire welder and it works OK, great on sheetmetal, but heavier material needs to be super clean (no rust, dirt, paint,etc). They say you can run allum. wire threw it but I always use a buddies spool gun. Hobart, lincoln, or miller are your better choices IMO.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
lincoln makes a nice 140 amp 110 mig that works very good for what it is...we use them at work(in the field), I do believe they will run a spool gun too,with that said..it should do most home projects no problem...as for your house wiring..you need at least a 30 amp circuit wired for a 110 or it will pop the circuit every time you turn it up over 1/2 power....shouldnt cost much to wire in a new circuit just for the welder by your power box, then get a good heavy duty extension cord...........

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hobart all the way, I bought my dad`s Hobart Handler welder from him about 10 years ago and I love it. He bought it new about 5 before that. I haven`t done Anything to it in that time (probably wouldn`t hurt to have it serveced) other than replaced a coulple liners that I accidentlly hit with the floor jack wheels a few times to many. but this was my fault.

My dad has been trying to but it back from me for about 7-8 yrs cause he hasn`t found one as good as this one, Its a Handler actually the older Black plactic suitcase style, I would like to get a new Hobart but scared that if I trade it in the new one wouldn`t be made as good as the older one.

I would love to put a spool gun on it but the shops say it wouldn`t be worth it, but I would be willing to do it if that didn`t cost as much as a new welder would be. anyone have any advice in installing a spool gun on the older model
I run .030 easygrind wire and Stargon gas now.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
I have the Handler 140 and it's been a real good unit. I've welded 3/8 mild with it, and it came out OK. If you have 220 go that route, but if 110 is all you have the Handler will do fine.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
Hobart all the way, I bought my dad`s Hobart Handler welder from him about 10 years ago and I love it. He bought it new about 5 before that. I haven`t done Anything to it in that time (probably wouldn`t hurt to have it serveced) other than replaced a coulple liners that I accidentlly hit with the floor jack wheels a few times to many. but this was my fault.

My dad has been trying to but it back from me for about 7-8 yrs cause he hasn`t found one as good as this one, Its a Handler actually the older Black plactic suitcase style, I would like to get a new Hobart but scared that if I trade it in the new one wouldn`t be made as good as the older one.

I would love to put a spool gun on it but the shops say it wouldn`t be worth it, but I would be willing to do it if that didn`t cost as much as a new welder would be. anyone have any advice in installing a spool gun on the older model
I run .030 easygrind wire and Stargon gas now.

the old hobarts were good units, not so much now, after miller bought out hobart the low grade products went into the hobart line and all the good stuff is in the miller,

my choice millermatic 210, bought it new last year, ran it the other day along side a hobart 200, not even close, the miller was faster,smoother and made a better weld

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I've got a Hobart Tigmate, use the snot out of it. I've had it for about 5 years and have not had any issues other than ,the power cord I wired for it was too small for long runs on aluminum. I weld 14 guauge steel, chromoly, stainless and aluminum. Most of the stuff I weld is new material.

Reasonably priced but you don't see them at many dealers and would have to be ordered usually, but I'm exceptionally happy with it.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Don't overlook a Lincoln Electric - Precision TIG 185 or 225. Nice machines. Do both Aluminum and Steel right out of the box. Literally, all you need to buy is a different tungsten consumable, $3, flip a couple switches, and your welding. But, TIG takes time to learn.

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
I have the Handler 140 and it's been a real good unit. I've welded 3/8 mild with it, and it came out OK. If you have 220 go that route, but if 110 is all you have the Handler will do fine.

I have 220 and 110. My 110 welder is a Hobart 125 Handler and it's a great garage type wire feed welder with regulator for mig welding. I use it for anything 1/4" and smaller.I finally put a bottle on it laast year. Works really well and a pretty good price.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Don't overlook a Lincoln Electric - Precision TIG 185 or 225. Nice machines. Do both Aluminum and Steel right out of the box. Literally, all you need to buy is a different tungsten consumable, $3, flip a couple switches, and your welding. But, TIG takes time to learn.

There ya go, 225 is a nice with a afordable price, you can not go wrong with machine:beer;

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
Go to Home depot or lowes and wait until the next years model comes out, i picked up a left over lincoln 140 for $265. everything is for sale! thing works great.

R
Dec 30, 2007
Southern Idaho
That hobart handler will do fine. Lincoln makes small wire feeds as well. They plug into 110V and that is what u need. Go with flux-cored wire then you won't need any shielding gas. As long as you're not welding thicker material than 1/4 you will be good to go. I have a millermatic 252 shop welder. Miller maxstar 150 tig box, Miller trailblazer 302 diesel portable and a lincoln LN-25 portable feeder and have been in business for myself for 15 yrs now. Have a good one! Rev

Premium Features