• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which oil

D
Nov 28, 2007
kay! hahahah so I hate this topic but seriously it killing me! what is the best oil for my poo amsoil interceptor or klotz? thanks and cheers

A
Dec 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Pulled apart pooslinger's 660 a couple weekends back. Over 5000 miles and the motor was pristine. Ring grooves were clean and bore still had cross hatching visable. Injex Pro oil. Good stuff.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
SCREW AMSOIL! I want everyone that is using this garbage in their cars or trucks to do an oil analysis. One sample on amsoil and another sample at the same mileage on the oil with a big name brand. Honestly, you won't be buying the amsoil again.

It would be hard to do this in a 2 stroke but seriously, if they can't make a good 4 stroke oil, how do you think they can make a good 2 stroke oil?

Go with the OEM stuff. It works, it keeps things pretty clean, it smells good and it's very easy to get and there shouldn't be any questions on which is better. Just get what comes in it!

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
Um yeah.....:rolleyes:

I run Amsoil in everything from my diesel and gas pickups to my air compressors, small engines, a couple of my tractors, and definantly my sleds and ATV's.

I use Interceptor in my sleds and like it, it's just as good or better than the other names and it's at the same price or cheaper. I used to run Redline, I think the Amsoil is a little cleaner and slightly cheaper.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Pick the one you can easily get at the best price. I spoke with the Spectro oils rep recently and he even admitted that all these oils are good. It is extemely unlikely you would ever see an oil related problem in this day and age.

From another point of view, Sled manufactures make sleds, oil manufacturers make oil. Each better be good at what they do. Most sled makers have an oil company make their oil anyway. Usually made to meet minimum requirements. (see cost effective) Not that these oils don't work just fine. They do.

Do alittle research online comparing Amsoil spectro blue marble and Klotz. Compare cold pour points, flash points and viscosities. I ran Amsoil for years with absolutly ZERO issues. I'm switching to Spectro Syn Sno this years just because I like to try different things.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Numbers of new oil are always good and what they need to have to meet the requirments is mandated of course. Most of us will never expierence an oil related breakdown in our lives so it's really not that big of a deal until you look at what the big picture. The OE stuff is easier to get most of the time. Small stations will have the popular stuff. Meaning you spend less time looking for it and waste less energy in the long run. You don't need to go through some uni-bomber in his garage to get the oil in the first place or go to the red neck wal-mart (Fleet Farm). It just doesn't add up to use these speciality brands, that's all there is to it.

I'm telling you guys, run your oil, change it, put something else in for a change or two and then do the analysis for around $25.00. It's shocking how bad some of the oil is after it goes though your engine for 3-5000 miles. It's actually pretty interesting stuff.

Why I say it is I was under the spell of the snake oil I mean amsoil's marketing game. I thought to myself, I'm sick of the price so I did the test with Blackstone Labs on my oil and it was shocking how much better the numbers were after 5000 miles on regular Shell Rotella T then it was with the Amsoil stuff. Even blackstone made the comment, "whatever you did I would stick with it". When a lab says something like that it would be a good idea to listen.

D
Nov 28, 2007
thanks for everyone's input! its just a hard and touchy subject because if one could.... why not by an oil that doesn't clog, burns clean, and substantially decreases the wear on the rotating assembly! it would be nice! it just sucks cause I would love to buy an oil that does all of this and more and not have to run at least 6 different brand before I find the winner! thanks and cheers!

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Oil is a personal thing thats for sure..always a hot topic. I have run Torco Racing oil and Klotz for years..both excellant. Klotz smells better. Polaris syn. oil I swear smells like Klotz. Polaris does not make oil..they have specs and put it out for bid and you wont really know what you are getting..however it sure smells like Klotz. Harley Davidson sells high priced oil which for a while was just low grade oil made by Sunoco and they jacked the price up way up and put it in a fancy labeled container. OEM oil has not typically known to be the best..but it is good and will work fine. As far as AMsoil..I have not used it in a snowmobile so cant say..but in defense of AMSOIL I have used it in my Indian Chief Motorcycle with a 103 cu in motor. I just had the motor rebuilt for performance improvement reasons after 35000 miles. The wrench said it looked pretty darn good. When I switched to AMsoil VTwin it brought eng temp down 10deg. and ran much quieter and smoother.

I also have an old Racer friend of mine (former Yamaha factory test rider and racer) and he runs the cheapest oil he can find in his sleds. His sleds go like all get out. He says in a two stroke the oil is always fresh and clean going in as you are always burning new oil, unlike a 4stroke. He says that on a snowmobile you dont have them long enough to see a difference and he laughs at me for what i spend on Klotz or Torco. Fricken stinks if you are behind him.
Anyway...just buy a case and order more before you run out..take extra with you if you go out of town and you dont have to worry about finding the same kind! Like RJ says though read the independant tests and make an educated decision.

Last edited:
Premium Features